High Speed Nun-chock-as

High Speed Nun-chock-as

Postby Batty den on Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:29 am

Beware the high speed nun-chock-as of spinning death!

That was unexpected. :D
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Image
User avatar
Batty den
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2002 8:59 pm
Location: Dubbo, NSW

Re: High Speed Nun-chock-as

Postby Daniel Cougar on Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:39 am

batty den wrote:Beware the high speed nun-chock-as of spinning death!

That was unexpected. :D


Yea, I thought she would have thrown it in the tail rotors, that way she wouldn't have had to dodge all the debris as the helo consumes itself. I got to witness a helo catch a Canuck goose in the rotors. The fuselage stayed intact until it met the ground, but the turbines has already ripped free of their mountings and the rotor blades were rapidly disintigrating.

Suggestion Scott, if Chuckles is fated to depart the good Earth (pleasepleasepleaseplease) may I suggest that you take a page from Die Hard With A Vengence and the poor smuck on the boat who receives the cable.
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:14 am
Location: His computer

Re: High Speed Nun-chock-as

Postby Nebulous Rikulau on Mon Oct 28, 2002 5:06 am

Daniel Cougar wrote:
batty den wrote:Beware the high speed nun-chock-as of spinning death!

That was unexpected. :D


Yea, I thought she would have thrown it in the tail rotors, that way she wouldn't have had to dodge all the debris as the helo consumes itself. I got to witness a helo catch a Canuck goose in the rotors. The fuselage stayed intact until it met the ground, but the turbines has already ripped free of their mountings and the rotor blades were rapidly disintigrating.


From the look on Jenny's face, I don't think that she was trying to hit the helo at all. :o At first it appears that she's going through the shocked "He's going to hurt me" reaction that she's been through with Col. Scobee before. The punctuation in "No. I didn't...", however, shows that she's not cowering away from the lion. (exclamation points would have shown panic.)

Although, how she was able to aim that first piece of debris so that it bounced off the lion's head is beyond me. :wink:
Nebulous Rikulau
User avatar
Nebulous Rikulau
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: High Speed Nun-chock-as

Postby Legene on Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:21 am

Nebulous Rikulau wrote:
From the look on Jenny's face, I don't think that she was trying to hit the helo at all. :o At first it appears that she's going through the shocked "He's going to hurt me" reaction that she's been through with Col. Scobee before. The punctuation in "No. I didn't...", however, shows that she's not cowering away from the lion. (exclamation points would have shown panic.)

Although, how she was able to aim that first piece of debris so that it bounced off the lion's head is beyond me. :wink:


That might have been more fortunate than what she planned. She might've figured to cause a distraction, or maybe to bring some rotor blades down to the lion's level (making him rather shorter in the process). :wink:

Or she might have just planned on disabling the helicopter, which changes everything. Even if all the debris had missed the lion, it leaves him (and the guy(s) in the 'copter) stuck on a base with security scrambling towards them from all direction. Tactically awkward. :D
- Archer da HorseWoofie
Legene
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:09 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Postby Kellogg on Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:30 am

Just to clarify one thing since the drawing is kind of small:

The Siouxper Swift has no tail rotor. It uses a NOTAR system
which basically blows air over the rear tail surfaces, causing
lift like an aircraft wing to counteract the torque instead of a
propellor.

The pusher un-ducted fan at the aft tip of the boom is
unpowered when the helicopter is on the ground.

Please note that the Sugeon General has determined that
throwing things into helicopter rotor blades can be extremely
hazardous to your health.

Scott (Swash-buckling?! Ouch! 8) ) Kellogg
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Triton

Re: High Speed Nun-chock-as

Postby Legene on Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:34 am

Daniel Cougar wrote:Yea, I thought she would have thrown it in the tail rotors, that way she wouldn't have had to dodge all the debris as the helo consumes itself.


Not a pad idea (the boom might catch the lion on it's way around... and around...) but this helicopter doesn't have a tail rotor as such. It uses a NOTAR (NO TAil Rotor) system, which is kind of nifty partically because it is a lot less vulnerable to airborn debris (like the non-chock-as).

http://www.kulikovair.com/Notar.htm
- Archer da HorseWoofie
Legene
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2002 5:09 pm
Location: Carlsbad, CA

Postby Baxtrr on Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:25 am

Kellogg wrote:Just to clarify one thing since the drawing is kind of small:

The Siouxper Swift has no tail rotor. It uses a NOTAR system
which basically blows air over the rear tail surfaces, causing
lift like an aircraft wing to counteract the torque instead of a
propellor.

The pusher un-ducted fan at the aft tip of the boom is
unpowered when the helicopter is on the ground.

Please note that the Sugeon General has determined that
throwing things into helicopter rotor blades can be extremely
hazardous to your health.

Scott (Swash-buckling?! Ouch! 8) ) Kellogg


Well, considering how fast those blades are moving and that the lion's skull is probably not made of the same stuff Scobee's got under his scalp, my only argument with the picture is that the blade shouldn't have bounced--it should have kept right on going its merry way, carrying the lion's head (or at least most of his brain) with it. If that guy's still alive, Scotto, I'll have to raise a red flag and demand that the referees check that the Physics Nullifier Box is to spec.

Y'all realize, of course, that if that lion's in fact dead, he is dead by a direct act by Jenny resulting from his attacking her. Ergo:

JEN-ny's a LI-on! JEN-ny's a LI-on! Neener neener neener!

bax

ps. If anyone wants a CDR, email me fast; they're nearly gone and getting one of the last few copies is going to be more expensive than it needs to be.
baxtrr the figment
not a real person but
plays one on the web
User avatar
Baxtrr
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2002 9:05 am
Location: outside the light cone (usually)

Re: High Speed Nun-chock-as

Postby Daniel Cougar on Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:08 pm

legene wrote:
Daniel Cougar wrote:Yea, I thought she would have thrown it in the tail rotors, that way she wouldn't have had to dodge all the debris as the helo consumes itself.


Not a pad idea (the boom might catch the lion on it's way around... and around...) but this helicopter doesn't have a tail rotor as such. It uses a NOTAR (NO TAil Rotor) system, which is kind of nifty partically because it is a lot less vulnerable to airborn debris (like the non-chock-as).

http://www.kulikovair.com/Notar.htm


Yea, I caught the NOTAR part the first time, I was refering to the pusherblades.
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:14 am
Location: His computer

Postby Mako on Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:03 pm

...
Last edited by Mako on Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mako
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Couch Surfing USA

Postby Mako on Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:03 pm

...
Last edited by Mako on Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mako
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Couch Surfing USA

Postby Mako on Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:04 pm

baxtrr wrote:Well, considering how fast those blades are moving and that the lion's skull is probably not made of the same stuff Scobee's got under his scalp, my only argument with the picture is that the blade shouldn't have bounced--it should have kept right on going its merry way, carrying the lion's head (or at least most of his brain) with it. If that guy's still alive, Scotto, I'll have to raise a red flag and demand that the referees check that the Physics Nullifier Box is to spec.


Weeeell now, a quickie peek at the <a href="http://www.caspeed.com/macrofox/">HiRez Archive</a> clearly shows the mane man getting bopped not my a blade, but rather a much smaller fragment of very expensive debris.

Y'all realize, of course, that if that lion's in fact dead, he is dead by a direct act by Jenny resulting from his attacking her. Ergo:

JEN-ny's a LI-on! JEN-ny's a LI-on! Neener neener neener!


I'm afraid that's pridefull thinking, I suspect our mane man is likely to be caught lion down on the job by security; that's the most likely end to his tail...

CYa!
Mako
Zzyxian HiRez Punisher
User avatar
Mako
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Couch Surfing USA

Insane

Postby Mako on Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:07 pm

KS forum software has gone insane, sorry for the 3x posting above, I can't edit or delete anything :x

Mako
Zzyzxian Triplikat
User avatar
Mako
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Couch Surfing USA

Re: Insane

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:38 am

Mako wrote:KS forum software has gone insane, sorry for the 3x posting above, I can't edit or delete anything :x
I had given up yesterday as well.

The smaller object that struck Jenny's assailant would likely have come from the rotor hub assembly. So, it would have much less rotational velocity, being close to the center, than a piece of the rotors themselves would have.

But it would still Really, Really Sting. ;)
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Re: Insane

Postby Hortmage on Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:00 am

LevelHead wrote:But it would still Really, Really Sting. ;)


Hee hee! First thing I thought of was MIB (1).

Actually, I think Jenny did a terrific job of thinking on her feet (er, paws). I mean, her love has been kidnapped, she's just raced after the getaway car on her motorbike (which by definition gets the adrenaline flowing), has been picked up by the scruff of the neck by a lionness, who then tossed her to the ground like an empty Twinkies wrapper, only to be confronted by a REALLY BIG lion....

Whether she was aiming for his head or the rotors, it doesn't matter. I would still have been standing there, drooling, myself.... :oops:

I, too, thought she was collapsing in shock at the lion's feet -- glad to see she was intelligent enough to be DUCKING! I hope she's through with cringing, though -- she has too much spirit to grovel before anyone, least of all ex-lovers. :x
Hortmage, The Magic Gardener
Making Environmental Education Fun AND Magical!
Hortmage
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2002 6:17 am
Location: Southern Indiana

Re: Insane

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:10 am

Hortmage wrote:Actually, I think Jenny did a terrific job of thinking on her feet (er, paws).
Indeed.

Is there still some question as to what she was aiming at?

Her own testimony, that she didn't miss, is clear enough. But think about who we are dealing with:

Jenny Curtis, pilot, scientist and engineer, understands the workings of aircraft quite well. Remember that she's certified on rotor wing aircraft.

Jenny Curtis demonstrated in her discussion with Jack, after the original lion duel, that she is NOT likely to beat up another sentient creature with a weapon. Replay that conversation, and see if she would be ready to abandon her principles here.

Jenny eyeballed that chopper which was almost on the ground anyway, and judged her throw very well. It's a more difficult shot than you might think!

(Take two old socks, place some sand in each and tie them together. Practice with that; you'll find that aiming is tricky until you get the "aha!" of how the center of gravity works. And the wheel-chocks are comparatively clumsy!)

The fact that the Lion got beaned actually is likely to trouble Jenny somewhat; she is a gentle soul. But I think this experience is a growth one for her. Some eggs are getting broken to make an omelet, so to speak.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Postby Kellogg on Tue Oct 29, 2002 3:04 pm

Well analyzed Guys!

This is why I usually sit back and enjoy these discussions. :D

The debris which beaned the lion is indeed from the rotor hub
assembly, and not in fact part of the rotor blade.

(Bopping a lion on the head is much more funny than decapitating one.)

As for the shocked expression and 'cringing'... Well... You guys
know by now how much I love misdirection... 8)

Anyone who knows about helicopter rotors would probably be scared
to death at the thought of something like chocks hitting a blade. The
lion getting bopped was icing on the cake. She only meant to disable
the helicopter.

You can't kidnap someone if you've got no means of getting away.

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Triton

Re: Insane

Postby Nebulous Rikulau on Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:58 pm

LevelHead wrote:The fact that the Lion got beaned actually is likely to trouble Jenny somewhat; she is a gentle soul. But I think this experience is a growth one for her. Some eggs are getting broken to make an omelet, so to speak.


If beaning the lion is going to bother Jenny, then how is she going to feel about the helo pilot? :(

Sure, he's not high off the ground, but he is still strapped into a rather fragile, falling box, that is starting to tear itself apart. And the pilot was not directly threatening her, as the lion was.
Nebulous Rikulau
User avatar
Nebulous Rikulau
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Insane

Postby Daniel Cougar on Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:45 am

Nebulous Rikulau wrote:
LevelHead wrote:The fact that the Lion got beaned actually is likely to trouble Jenny somewhat; she is a gentle soul. But I think this experience is a growth one for her. Some eggs are getting broken to make an omelet, so to speak.


If beaning the lion is going to bother Jenny, then how is she going to feel about the helo pilot? :(

Sure, he's not high off the ground, but he is still strapped into a rather fragile, falling box, that is starting to tear itself apart. And the pilot was not directly threatening her, as the lion was.


That helo crash I mentioned earlier, the pilot lived. Granted he landed in the irrigation pond that he had just scared the Canadian Geese out of, but he was still higher off the ground than the Sioux pilot was. Helo seats are mounted on shock absorbing structures for just such an eventuiality.
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:14 am
Location: His computer


 

Return to 21st Century Fox



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest