Nipping At Their Heels

Nipping At Their Heels

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:34 am

Today's moment has a nice tribute to Monty Python's "Black Knight" skit.
This copy of the skit has sound, ah, bites. ;)
http://www.stone-dead.asn.au/movies/hol ... ne-04.html

A nice touch is tucked into the last panel. On Jenny's motorcycle, her rear view mirrors are camera displays, not simple reflectors. As a result, I am sure that the vehicle can display all sorts of information in addition to the view behind her, so that it acts as an "auxilliary instrument panel".

At the moment, it is displaying the view behind her. Since it is a computer display, our point-of-view camera can see this, and we can make out that it's a nice detail shot of the road and spaceport tower behind her.

Of course, if it were a simple mirror, the angles wouldn't work. But Jenny Curtis's vehicle and Scott Kellogg's artwork are more sophisticated than that. :)

Very nice.

We see a turn coming up, which at the speeds they're going could have an impact...on the story.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Re: Nipping At Their Heels

Postby Icefox on Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:46 am

LevelHead wrote:Today's moment has a nice tribute to Monty Python's "Black Knight" skit.
This copy of the skit has sound, ah, bites. ;)
http://www.stone-dead.asn.au/movies/hol ... ne-04.html

Yes, I noticed that too. :D

A nice touch is tucked into the last panel. On Jenny's motorcycle, her rear view mirrors are camera displays, not simple reflectors. As a result, I am sure that the vehicle can display all sorts of information in addition to the view behind her, so that it acts as an "auxilliary instrument panel".

...Erm... How can you tell? Is there some subtle hint in the picture that I can't see, or is it just because I usually skim all the car-talk threads?
Know everything.
Fulfill your limits.
All else is darkness.
Icefox
Regular Poster

Re: Nipping At Their Heels

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:09 am

Icefox wrote:
LevelHead wrote:A nice touch is tucked into the last panel. On Jenny's motorcycle, her rear view mirrors are camera displays, not simple reflectors. As a result, I am sure that the vehicle can display all sorts of information in addition to the view behind her, so that it acts as an "auxilliary instrument panel".
...Erm... How can you tell? Is there some subtle hint in the picture that I can't see, or is it just because I usually skim all the car-talk threads?
We can see a small image, in the right hand "mirror", of the road behind Jenny.

If it were an actual mirror, the reflection angle would not work, and we'd see a reflection from approximately "across" the bike, rather than behind it. But since we DO see behind it, it must not be a reflection. And therefore, it must be a computer display. And therefore, it's probably used for additional things besides "the view behind".

Does this make better sense?
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:44 am

This is true. :)

If it were an actual mirror, the view through it wouldn't be very interesting.
We're not at an angle to see Jenny's face in it.

Thanks LevelHead! :)

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 8290 on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:23 pm

That was a very funny link. I remember long ago seeing about five minutes of the Holy Grail on TV before my mom couldn't take it anymore and switched channels. :D I have to rent it.

Anyway, this is a very interesting chase. The Soiuxper Swift is chasing the Benz along with Jenny. This isn't looking good.

I have to agree with Jenny. Chasing unscrupulous cats (some who are armed with an armed helicopter) might not have been the best course of action without some helping hooves.
ZOMBIE USER 8290
Regular Poster

Return to 21st Century Fox