Not Jenny, but still a fox (repost)

Not Jenny, but still a fox (repost)

Postby Little_Dragon on Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:25 am

I accepted a commission to rebuild my 3D Sabrina model as a generic cartoon furry. This was one of the results.

Video clip (MPEG format, 1.29MB)

The voice was recycled from one of my Florence Ambrose animations to test the lipsync capabilities of the new figure.
Little_Dragon
Regular Poster

Postby Little_Dragon on Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:31 am

Some more characters, morphed from the same mesh (squirrel, cheetah, tigresses). The squirrel and cheetah hairstyles, trenchcoat, and bikini-bottom are standard Poser items. Kozaburo created the hairstyles worn by the tigers.

The pose for the cheetah-lass was inspired by one of Doug Winger's tamer illustrations. She should be holding a notepad in her left hand, but I got lazy at the last moment.

I still think the squirrel bears a disturbing resemblance to David Spade.
Last edited by Little_Dragon on Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little_Dragon
Regular Poster

Postby Little_Dragon on Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:52 am

Yet more characters morphed from the same mesh (lioness, vixen, rabbits). The eyeglasses, lion tail-tuft, and bunny-tails are separate props that can be added to the figure.

An early, untextured test render of the mesh from various angles:
Video clip (MPEG format, 508KB)

A test render of the bunny morph:
Video clip (MPEG format, 100KB)

And a test render of the skunkette character:
Video clip (MPEG format, 286KB)
Little_Dragon
Regular Poster

Postby Mako on Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:17 am

Little_Dragon wrote:Yet more characters morphed from the same mesh (lioness, vixen, rabbits). The eyeglasses, lion tail-tuft, and bunny-tails are separate props that can be added to the figure.

Excellent, tnx for the re-post LD.

I had asked whether these images and mpg's were created in Poser 5 or not...?

Also, have the developers made any headway on debugging Poser 5?

CYa!
Mako
Mako
Regular Poster

Postby Little_Dragon on Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:52 am

These were all done in Poser 4, although I've tested the figure in Poser 5.

Poser renders animations as image sequences or .avi files (or on Macintosh, QuickTime .mov files). I can convert the .avi to MPEG-1 format using a freeware utility. MPEG is a bit more user-friendly when posting to the Web; fewer worries about missing codecs or cross-platform compatibility.

The Poser 5 debugging process continues. Today, a beta of the Service Release 2 patch was released. Many bug fixes, performance and memory optimizations, interface tweaks, etc. And, surprisingly, important new features: volumetric lighting and depth-cue.

Poser 5 isn't perfect, but it's getting closer to the stability of the previous version. At the rate Curious Labs is going, I might be able to retire my old copy of Poser 4 in a month or two and start using Poser 5 full-time.

I have no regrets about purchasing the software early. It's given me time to acquaint myself with the new features.
Little_Dragon
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:16 am

Man, I am just amazed. :D

It's worth re-mentioning things that got lost when the first post went poof!
(Grr. I still have no clue. :( )

First, Even though it's not Jenny, I like the voice for Jenny.
I have a deeper voice in mind when I think of Florence, but
it's a good tone for Jenny. :D

The T-shirt "If you can read this, you're too close" is great.
So is the little bounce of the tail as she walks. Also, one little
thing I notice that's cute: The T-shirt doesn't swivel with the
hip motion of walking, but the fur underneath does, which really
shows off the moving hips... 8)

The way she turns to the camera is cute, as is the blink at
the end.

Cute! Very Cute in fact! :D

Thanks for posting it! :D

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:24 am

Little_Dragon wrote:These were all done in Poser 4, although I've tested the figure in Poser 5.

Poser renders animations as image sequences or .avi files (or on Macintosh, QuickTime .mov files). I can convert the .avi to MPEG-1 format using a freeware utility. MPEG is a bit more user-friendly when posting to the Web; fewer worries about missing codecs or cross-platform compatibility.

The Poser 5 debugging process continues. Today, a beta of the Service Release 2 patch was released. Many bug fixes, performance and memory optimizations, interface tweaks, etc. And, surprisingly, important new features: volumetric lighting and depth-cue.

Poser 5 isn't perfect, but it's getting closer to the stability of the previous version. At the rate Curious Labs is going, I might be able to retire my old copy of Poser 4 in a month or two and start using Poser 5 full-time.

I have no regrets about purchasing the software early. It's given me time to acquaint myself with the new features.

Nice work, although their faces are a bit toony for my taste.

Have you ever tried working with POV-ray? It's a fairly powerful freeware raytracer, rather than a scan-line renderer like Poser. It can create some breath taking images.
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:13 pm

Kellogg wrote:Man, I am just amazed. :D
And I as well. It is quite a good job.

I wonder: Do you have control over limb lengths of the model? Jenny is reasonably tall (for a fox) ;) but Florence is relatively short limbed. Certainly not "stocky", per se, but we often see Florence in the company of humans and she probably is not over 5 feet tall. Call it 1.5 meters or so.

In body/torso size I imagine that she is quite similar to the model you've used for the proto-Jenny; if limbs could be shortened a bit, it would make that arrangement even more Florencian. ;)

Since Florence's legs are differently articulated, famously digitigrade rather than plantigrade, this would tend to shave several centimeters by the extra joint, but add height by the extra segment. And interesting problem in "getting it right".

Kudos! I really like your work!
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:43 pm

Wow! That's brilliant! I am impressed and amazed. I can't add anything to what Scott said, so I'll just say "Well done, you!"

den
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Little_Dragon on Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:25 am

Kellogg wrote:First, Even though it's not Jenny, I like the voice for Jenny.
I have a deeper voice in mind when I think of Florence, but
it's a good tone for Jenny.

For the benefit of those who haven't followed my animation exploits over at the Freefall forum, I'll point out that this voice was completely computer-generated, using text-to-speech software. Play around with the interactive demo on the AT&T website; it's fun!

Daniel Cougar wrote:Nice work, although their faces are a bit toony for my taste.

The original mesh was a 3D recreation of Eric Schwartz's Sabrina, so initially I was copying his Chuck Jones-style cartoon artistry. My patron needed the figure in order to create Tiny Toons fan art. He's already done a great version of Buster and Babs with what I sent him. In this case, a toon appearance was my goal.

However, while I enjoy working with this artistic style, I prefer something a bit more realistic myself.

The Florence video (MPEG format, 537KB)
Transformations (MPEG format, 265KB)
Sham the Wolf (MPEG format, 557KB)

Daniel Cougar wrote:Have you ever tried working with POV-ray? It's a fairly powerful freeware raytracer, rather than a scan-line renderer like Poser. It can create some breath taking images.

I've never tried POV-ray, although I have worked with other raytracers (trueSpace, for instance). Poser 5 now has raytracing in addition to the old P4 scanline renderer.

LevelHead wrote:I wonder: Do you have control over limb lengths of the model?

Yes. Poser allows you to individually scale each body part along the x-, y-, and z-axes. Scaling sometimes produces unwanted deformations in the mesh, so it's usually better to model the mesh in the right size from the start.

My 3D version of Florence is approximately five feet tall. I'm still tinkering with her limb proportions.
Little_Dragon
Regular Poster

Return to 21st Century Fox