October 2 Emotional and Visual Panorama

Re: October 2 Emotional and Visual Panorama

Postby Daniel Cougar on Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:09 am

LevelHead wrote:
batty den wrote:The whole station's Z axis off by about 10 degrees so we can see more of it, but the panels at the botom are tilted towards the light source. The ring is really at 90 degrees to the core, it just doesn't look that way.
It's an interesting illusion. The core in your rendered image is clearly vertical. However, the ring seems to be tilted, as you said, about ten degrees to the left -- with the core remaining vertical anyway.

I am unable to shake this illusion.

The station is angled at least partially towards us, so I doubt there is more than 5 or 6 degrees of angle to be seen. That's really too small to be seen over such a short lenght without a regular pattern behind to compare with it. Tack on hard shadows which can do more to hide the effect, and the mind can trick itself to see a pure verticle form in a tilted structure. An optical delusion if you will. :roll:
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Sat Oct 19, 2002 7:20 am

Daniel Cougar wrote:The station is angled at least partially towards us, so I doubt there is more than 5 or 6 degrees of angle to be seen. That's really too small to be seen over such a short lenght without a regular pattern behind to compare with it. Tack on hard shadows which can do more to hide the effect, and the mind can trick itself to see a pure verticle form in a tilted structure. An optical delusion if you will. :roll:
I must disagree. The angles are readily visible.

As it happens, Scott Kellogg still has the tiny thumbnail of the original image on the main website. In this, the core of the Station can be seen aligned with the ring.

Batty den commented that the solar panels are aligned with the light source. What I am seeing is that the entire core, with solar panels attached, is aligned with the light source.

Snag the station out of the current pic, rotate it clockwise to see the ring as level as possible, and see what you think about the core angle.

Now, none of this is intended as anything more than a nitpick -- I think it's an excellent picture and a very impressive piece! And I like it a great deal, and don't actually think anything needs to be done.

[Edit]Aha! I just realized that the original picture is on Batty Den's site below the current one. The station core angle alignment difference is obvious.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Sat Oct 19, 2002 10:44 am

I must disagree. The angles are readily visible.

As it happens, Scott Kellogg still has the tiny thumbnail of the original image on the main website. In this, the core of the Station can be seen aligned with the ring.

Batty den commented that the solar panels are aligned with the light source. What I am seeing is that the entire core, with solar panels attached, is aligned with the light source.

Snag the station out of the current pic, rotate it clockwise to see the ring as level as possible, and see what you think about the core angle.

Now, none of this is intended as anything more than a nitpick -- I think it's an excellent picture and a very impressive piece! And I like it a great deal, and don't actually think anything needs to be done.

[Edit]Aha! I just realized that the original picture is on Batty Den's site below the current one. The station core angle alignment difference is obvious.[/quote]

Ok, now you've gotten me confused because I'm no longer clear on what your saying. :-?
Daniel Cougar

Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:52 pm

LevelHead wrote:Now, none of this is intended as anything more than a nitpick -- I think it's an excellent picture and a very impressive piece! And I like it a great deal, and don't actually think anything needs to be done.

Daniel has given me a quick course in "Terraforming And You: Building Better Worlds" and I'm working on it again. I'll bung in a bit of radiosity (Earthshine!) and work on the station's details.

Next: Jack's Thunderbird, and Jenny's Mustang.

oooooh!

Moooootooooorbiiiiike!

den
(I am A Hoon.)
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:45 am

batty den wrote:Daniel has given me a quick course in "Terraforming And You: Building Better Worlds" and I'm working on it again. I'll bung in a bit of radiosity (Earthshine!) and work on the station's details.
den
(I am A Hoon.)

Judging from the Earth he sent me, it should be pretty nice, provided he made the clouds "White" (or rgb <1,1,1>) this time. :P :roll:
Daniel Cougar

Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Olick on Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:45 pm

3D! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry:

Of all the threads to skip until later, I pick this one.

I feel so foolish. :oops:

By the way, Great job on the renderings.

I would try to do something myself, but I'm not sure how good it would turn out.

Ah, maybe I should actually TRY it before I proclaim my lack of skill, who knows, maybe I'll actually make it work.

(must remember check all of the threads)
Olick
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:02 am

Daniel Cougar wrote:Judging from the Earth he sent me, it should be pretty nice, provided he made the clouds "White" (or rgb <1,1,1>) this time. :P :roll:
Interesting. In most systems of red/green/blue representation, white would be 255,255,255 -- but I confess that I am unfamiliar with the tools being used here.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:10 am

LevelHead wrote:Interesting. In most systems of red/green/blue representation, white would be 255,255,255 -- but I confess that I am unfamiliar with the tools being used here.

With POVRay, black is rgb<0,0,0> and white is rgb<1,1,1>, and all colours are a combination in between.

I'm going to stop playing with http://www.battyden.net/pictures/3D%20R ... 1CFox.jpg/ now. Other things call.

Those docking pods could house 3 x 3-man (pilot, co-pilot, engineer) teams of mice on the life-support required for a larger mammal, such as a fox. They could work in shifts to give 24 hour shunting and lifting services. A pod that size could have room for sleeping quaters, galley and rec-room.

den
Last edited by Batty den on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:23 am

batty den wrote:With POVRay, black is rgb<0,0,0> and white is rgb<1,1,1>, and all colours are a combination in between.

den
Aha. So it uses fractions, such as <.5,.5,.5> for grey?

We seem to have thought we'd lost this thread earlier.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:38 am

LevelHead wrote:Aha. So it uses fractions, such as <.5,.5,.5> for grey?

Yep! The fraction can go to a stupid number of decimal places, but sensible people work in easy amounts. Unless you're trying to get a very particular shade.

We seem to have thought we'd lost this thread earlier.

I thought we had. It wasn't on the forum list, and then it was.

den
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:10 am

batty den wrote:I'm going to stop playing with http://www.battyden.net/pictures/3D%20R ... 1CFox.jpg/ now. Other things call.

YAY! This one's the best yet! :D
And we can see Australia too! :D

(Wait, doesn't that mean that the globe is upside down? :lol: )

Those docking pods could house 3 x 3-man (pilot, co-pilot, engineer) teams of mice on the life-support required for a larger mammal, such as a fox. They could work in shifts to give 24 hour shunting and lifting services. A pod that size could have room for sleeping quaters, galley and rec-room.

True, but the flight surgeons tend to prefer that they dock back at the station to avoid spending too much time in microgravity. On the other hand, the crews do tend to do very well in the impromptu microgravity hockey matches that take place in the station's spindle every once in a while. But so far, no one has been able to beat the bat's team. 8)

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Return to Sub-Topic Drift #3

Postby ZOMBIE USER 7666 on Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:38 am

And now a return to Sub-Topic #3:

Just kidding :lol:

Anyway, I'll try this again before this Topic magically disappears again like it did this morning when I made an attempt to post to it and locked it up I guess?

I had some more questions about Dr. Tangent:

What color are his eyes?

What color is his fur/hair color?

What's his height?

Is his first name really Affana?

Okay I'll stop for now before I lock up the Topic again.
ZOMBIE USER 7666
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:40 pm

Olick wrote:3D! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry:

I would try to do something myself, but I'm not sure how good it would turn out.

Ah, maybe I should actually TRY it before I proclaim my lack of skill, who knows, maybe I'll actually make it work.

I'll try this one again (my original attempt seems to have been deleted) Check out POV-ray. It has a steep learning curve (almost an overhang) but it's free, powerful, and the POV community is very helpful. Just make sure you're willing to live without a computer for a day or two.
Daniel Cougar

Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:15 pm

Kellogg wrote:
batty den wrote:Those docking pods could house 3 x 3-man (pilot, co-pilot, engineer) teams of mice on the life-support required for a larger mammal, such as a fox. They could work in shifts to give 24 hour shunting and lifting services. A pod that size could have room for sleeping quaters, galley and rec-room.

True, but the flight surgeons tend to prefer that they dock back at the station to avoid spending too much time in microgravity. On the other hand, the crews do tend to do very well in the impromptu microgravity hockey matches that take place in the station's spindle every once in a while. But so far, no one has been able to beat the bat's team. 8)

Scott

For mice, they might almost be large enough for a centrifugal grav deck. If not, during their free flight time (when not moving a piece of equipment) they could cable to each other and form a centrifuge that way. The point could be moot, however, the Mir astronauts (not a typo) showed that a good physical workout regime can offset the majority of the zero-g medical problems.
Daniel Cougar

Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:36 pm

Well, they do have one of those little Hamster exercise wheels. ;)

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Nebulous Rikulau on Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:17 pm

Kellogg wrote:Well, they do have one of those little Hamster exercise wheels. ;)

Which doubles as a backup power generator. 8)
Nebulous Rikulau
Nebulous Rikulau
Regular Poster

Postby Batty den on Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:19 pm

Kellogg wrote:YAY! This one's the best yet! :D
And we can see Australia too! :D

(Wait, doesn't that mean that the globe is upside down? :lol: )

You should pull the two older versions out of the gallery. They're not so good.

And if you notice the brown colour of Aus, that's the colour everything is now. :)

True, but the flight surgeons tend to prefer that they dock back at the station to avoid spending too much time in microgravity.

The pods would have to dock at the station for propellent and servicing anyway, so the crews wouldn't be in microG for overly extended periods.

On the other hand, the crews do tend to do very well in the impromptu microgravity hockey matches that take place in the station's spindle every once in a while. But so far, no one has been able to beat the bat's team. 8)

Of course not! :D

Bats have two advantages over other mammals. One is not needing a solid surface to move around. The other is natural sonar and range finding. How big is the puck? :D

And did any of the team play for the Austin Ice Bats?

den
More bats in comics!
Credendo Vides
Batty den
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Tue Oct 22, 2002 2:46 am

LevelHead wrote:
batty den wrote:With POVRay, black is rgb<0,0,0> and white is rgb<1,1,1>, and all colours are a combination in between.

den
Aha. So it uses fractions, such as <.5,.5,.5> for grey?

Correct, but if you want, you can go <255,255,255>. POV accepts values greater than 1 for colors. They don't cast any light, but the show up much brighter than they should. Great for LEDs. You can also follow the numbers with a * or /. I put together a display cabinet and stuck a dozen can lights inside, really washed out the image, so the lights when to <1,1,1>/6 and the image was viewable again. I don't know about negative numbers. I've never needed an anti-green.
Daniel Cougar

Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Olick on Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:02 pm

Daniel Cougar wrote:
Olick wrote:3D! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :cry:

I'll try this one again (my original attempt seems to have been deleted) Check out POV-ray. It has a steep learning curve (almost an overhang) but it's free, powerful, and the POV community is very helpful. Just make sure you're willing to live without a computer for a day or two.

Well, I already own a program to do 3-D on.

Its an educational version, that I recieved free after taking a 24 hour class(broken into 3 sets of 8 hours) for about $200(which is a steal since the retail price of the professional version runs at about $7200 :o ).

But I may still want to check out POV ray, It sounds interesting, and (most importantly) free commercially. :wink:
Olick
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Cougar on Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:27 am

Olick wrote: But I may still want to check out POV ray, It sounds interesting, and (most importantly) free commercially. :wink:

Oh, I almost forgot POV-ray is available for Windows, Mac, and Unix/Linix sytems. You can also pick up the source code if you want to convert it to another system. It's written in C. I just wish I had a faster system to run it on. Currently 23% and 1d 10hr 8m 49s into a render.
Daniel Cougar

Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to 21st Century Fox