October 2 Emotional and Visual Panorama

October 2 Emotional and Visual Panorama

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Thu Oct 03, 2002 6:41 pm

Scott Kellogg deserves a "Well done!" for this work!

I've been preoccupied, and haven't had much chance to give it the attention it deserved.

In the first panel, the placard intrigued me. It appeared to be three furry pawprints, of vastly different sizes (and the largest obviously a predator!) overlaid onto a peace sign.

Rather than being merely a symbol, through, it was placed at a height appropriate for a biometic security system; the pawprints then would be guides for where to place your paw. I presume that below the camera view is the one for the really small species. ;)

On Smelly's wall are two pictures. The smaller one is the Thunderbird 3 vehicle from the "Thunderbirds" classic television program from the sixties. You've seen references to "Thunderbirds are Go!" in this strip, and in "One Clown Short"'s tribute to 21st Century Fox.

Jack and Cecil drive a Thunderbird, after all!

The bigger picture looked superficially like a Bell X-1 under the wing of a B-52. The people, though small in this view, appear to be Smelly, Scobee and our own Jenny Curtis.

On closer inspection, the test vehicle is more sophisticated than an X-1, and the carrier vehicle actually has the jet engines structured differently, and more integrated into the wing structure, plus the wing itself is much broader (chord length) than that of a B-52. So, this is a much more recent shot that the 1940's/1950s time frame that would be appropriate for the early X-1 work. Good!

In the third panel, Mr. Johnson appears to have, on his desk, a Child Protection Device -- the famous Red Rubber Ball unicorn safety tip from "Never Never" and borrowed into the universe of Freefall's forum and Florence's White Pony unicorn friend.

Notice that the window that the heavy-hearted skunk is standing at is protected by some extra devices or attachments around the edges. Force field? Bars, retracted? In any event, a window facing the launch pad seems to want extra protection. Thoughtful touch!

Smelly is married, I'd bet -- his tie matches his eyes. Not the sort of thing that most fellows would pay attention to. (And yes, dragons can see in a broad spectrum of color, thank you very much.)

The spacesuit backpacks and helmets (in the foreground) are indeed from 2001: A Space Odyssey, as of course is the famous space pod. The quadrant of thrusters on the back of the female predator's suit are distinctive, as is the shape of the helmet (which is incidentally already well shaped for the longer-muzzled folk).

As was pointed out, we now have, for the first time, almost an entire giraffe on screen! Oho! ;)

The Tigress, the Mouse and the Tool form an interesting scene.

I don't quite recognize the ship nor the station. This is my own fault: not enough television. :) The ship is vaguely like the Leonid from 2010: The Year We Make Contact, but I have satisfied myself that this is not it. And the station design suggests that some progress has been made in artificial gravity...

I notice with great interest that Scobee, in the last panel, has slumped rather than bristled. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Re: October 2 Emotional and Visual Panorama

Postby Kellogg on Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:13 pm

LevelHead wrote:Scott Kellogg deserves a "Well done!" for this work!

Thanks! :D

Some questions to answer! :)

In the first panel, the placard intrigued me. It appeared to be three furry pawprints, of vastly different sizes (and the largest obviously a predator!) overlaid onto a peace sign.

Rather than being merely a symbol, through, it was placed at a height appropriate for a biometic security system; the pawprints then would be guides for where to place your paw. I presume that below the camera view is the one for the really small species. ;)

Exactly! :)

snip
The bigger picture looked superficially like a Bell X-1 under the wing of a B-52. The people, though small in this view, appear to be Smelly, Scobee and our own Jenny Curtis.

Actually, that's supposed to be a shot of the test vehicle that Scobee
crashed in.
http://techfox.keenspace.com/d/20011117.html (Actually, I think it
came out better in the old version than the new shot.)
(Oh, BTW, the X-1 was dropped from a B-29, not a B-52.)

In the third panel, Mr. Johnson appears to have, on his desk, a Child Protection Device -- the famous Red Rubber Ball unicorn safety tip from "Never Never" and borrowed into the universe of Freefall's forum and Florence's White Pony unicorn friend.

Good eye! White Pony has promised some fan art for that one when he manages to dig himself out from all his other obligations! :D

Notice that the window that the heavy-hearted skunk is standing at is protected by some extra devices or attachments around the edges. Force field? Bars, retracted? In any event, a window facing the launch pad seems to want extra protection. Thoughtful touch!

Heavy reinforced 'glass'. (I say 'glass' because it's certainly not glass,
but something like the bullet proof plastic they use now. But in 64 years
I doubt if the top of the line stuff will be Lexan either). ;)

Smelly is married, I'd bet -- his tie matches his eyes. Not the sort of thing that most fellows would pay attention to. (And yes, dragons can see in a broad spectrum of color, thank you very much.)

The spacesuit backpacks and helmets (in the foreground) are indeed from 2001: A Space Odyssey, as of course is the famous space pod. The quadrant of thrusters on the back of the female predator's suit are distinctive, as is the shape of the helmet (which is incidentally already well shaped for the longer-muzzled folk).

As was pointed out, we now have, for the first time, almost an entire giraffe on screen! Oho! ;)

A-Ok (If you ever look up the attempts at deciphering what O.K.
stand for, they say something like "All Korrect" which never made
sence, but it does in this case. ;)

The Tigress, the Mouse and the Tool form an interesting scene.

That was fun to draw. Having had a crash course in how to draw
tigers recently, it was the perfect chance to use that experience. :)

I don't quite recognize the ship nor the station. This is my own fault: not enough television. :) The ship is vaguely like the Leonid from 2010: The Year We Make Contact, but I have satisfied myself that this is not it. And the station design suggests that some progress has been made in artificial gravity...

Hmm... I see what you mean, in that it looks that way, but I'm afraid
that's more of a perspective error on my part. The station is supposed to be larger and farther back. Without land to give perspective it's easily
confused. But, the station is quite large and rotates.

The ship under construction by the station is along the lines of an Orbital taxi, running around Earth Orbit, or to the Moon. As others have noted
it's inspired along the lines of some of the ships from Space: 1999.
http://www.space1999.net/~catacombs/mai ... pdd088.jpg

It's awfully hard to see, but there's a fuel tank missing from the aft section
of the ship, that's being brought up into place by two space pods. At
least that was what was in my mind when I was drawing it. Now that I
actually look at it, you can't really tell what it is. But, take my word for
it. ;)

Glad you all enjoyed it. It was a lot of fun to try and put in all the detail.
I'll admit, doing more 'serious' strips is a bit nerve wracking. I feel more
comfortable when folks are laughing, so I try to put that much more
effort into them. Good to know it paid off. :)

Thanks!

Scott
Scott Kellogg
The future's so bright, you gotta wear shades...
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Quill on Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:02 am

LevelHead wrote:I notice with great interest that Scobee, in the last panel, has slumped rather than bristled. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Well, I doubt that even a cybernetically enhanced wolf would want to really tick off a skunk! Esp. one so close to his own size. :D After all, I assume the skunk works...
Dex Lives No, I'm not the author. I just think you should read it.
Quill
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:07 am

Quill wrote:
LevelHead wrote:I notice with great interest that Scobee, in the last panel, has slumped rather than bristled. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Well, I doubt that even a cybernetically enhanced wolf would want to really tick off a skunk! Esp. one so close to his own size. :D After all, I assume the skunk works...
Oho! ;)

And Scobee knows that his if his boss's ire arose (by any other name) he'd smell his suite. For days.
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 7666 on Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:49 pm

LevelHead wrote:In the third panel, Mr. Johnson appears to have, on his desk, a Child Protection Device -- the famous Red Rubber Ball unicorn safety tip from "Never Never" and borrowed into the universe of Freefall's forum and Florence's White Pony unicorn friend.
I'm impressed Levelhead that you caught that inside joke reference.
Kellogg wrote:Good eye! White Pony has promised some fan art for that one when he manages to dig himself out from all his other obligations!
Yep, yep, yep...and I'm still digging out from under the pile of projects. I already have a couple of ideas in mind and I know you'll never figure out which character I plan on working with first. :D
ZOMBIE USER 7666
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:54 pm

whitepony wrote:
Kellogg wrote:Good eye! White Pony has promised some fan art for that one when he manages to dig himself out from all his other obligations!
Yep, yep, yep...and I'm still digging out from under the pile of projects. I already have a couple of ideas in mind and I know you'll never figure out which character I plan on working with first. :D

Just make sure that you're not overworking yourself! I refuse to be held responsible for overtired Unicorns! I've never been mauled by a Bowman's Wolf, and I don't want to do anything habit forming. :o
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 7666 on Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:41 pm

Kellogg wrote:Just make sure that you're not overworking yourself! I refuse to be held responsible for overtired Unicorns! I've never been mauled by a Bowman's Wolf, and I don't want to do anything habit forming. :o
I'm always overworking myself. I'm lucky if I get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. As long as I
ZOMBIE USER 7666
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:22 pm

whitepony wrote:
Kellogg wrote:Just make sure that you're not overworking yourself! I refuse to be held responsible for overtired Unicorns! I've never been mauled by a Bowman's Wolf, and I don't want to do anything habit forming. :o
I'm always overworking myself. I'm lucky if I get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. As long as I’m there sometime during the night, Florence is happy just to cuddle up next to our silly little unicorn pony. :D

Well, just don't overwork yourself on my acount, okay? :D
I enjoy your art, so obviously, I would like to see how you draw my
characters. But, I'm a very patient guy.

I made some good progress today on the four computers. Looks like I may have figured out the Laptop's networking problem. Darn thing anyway. 8)

Question I had for you Scott...the Poodle character that appeared a couple of months ago as the crazy scientist playing with lightening and the giant Telsa Coil--you had Jack run across a lab coat with lace. This has me to wondering if the Poodle character is attempting to hide her gender for the obvious reasons. 8)

Dr. Tangent? Oh yes, he's quite, quite mad, you know. Being a male poodle is a rather trying time, socially. Everyone automatically assumes that you're female on sight. And even when people figure out that he's a guy, there are so many preconcieved notions about male poodles, that it's hard for the poor guy not to belong to *some* of the stereotypes of poodleness. All at the same time, he's trying to assert his own personality (Quirky as it is.)

But, like for so many of us, *just being himself* is a tough road.

Some poodle guys will overcompensate for their image by becoming body-builders, trimming their eyelashes, and driving SUVs. Some swing the other extreme and become ladies' fashion designers. Under such circumstances, it's hard to just be one's self. Dr. Tangent is hampered in this because he doesn't even seem to know what he is, nevermind how to act accordingly.

Perhaps he'll figure it out one day, but in the meantime he's pretty busy planning his next insane experiment. :D

His lab assistant Igor has a similar difficulty. He's one of those cats who, deep, deep down inside, believes that he's a dog, born in the body of a cat. :o

I hope that (Sort of) addresses your question! ;)

Scott (Dr. Tangent Will Return!) Kellogg
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:27 pm

Kellogg wrote:But, like for so many of us, *just being himself* is a tough road.
And can you imagine being given a first name like "Affana"? Somebody's parents had a sense of humor.

White Pony, good to see you here, and your work. Very nice indeed!
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:38 pm

Kellogg wrote:Being a male poodle is a rather trying time, socially. Everyone automatically assumes that you're female on sight. And even when people figure out that he's a guy, there are so many preconcieved notions about male poodles, that it's hard for the poor guy not to belong to *some* of the stereotypes of poodleness. All at the same time, he's trying to assert his own personality (Quirky as it is.)

Ah, but baby poodles get made somehow, correct? Or do they grow them in vats, since even female poodles fall into the trap of stereotyping the males?
<A HREF="http://www.fightcastorevade.net" TARGET=_blank>Fight Cast Or Evade</A>
Swords, sorcery, heroes, villains, and serious discourse on the socio-political issues facing our modern society.
Oh, and talking animals.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby Daniel Cougar on Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:28 am

LevelHead wrote:
Kellogg wrote:But, like for so many of us, *just being himself* is a tough road.
And can you imagine being given a first name like "Affana"? Somebody's parents had a sense of humor.

No, they didn't. They may have thought they had one, but they didn't. :roll:
Daniel Cougar

I am of Mountain Lion, what I hunt, I find.
Daniel Cougar
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:16 am

Matt Trepal wrote:Ah, but baby poodles get made somehow, correct? Or do they grow them in vats, since even female poodles fall into the trap of stereotyping the males?

Exactly. It does work, but society at large has such a crushing
sterotype of poodles, it's a wonder that there even are some happy
poodle families. And Dr. Tangent's parents were both highly successful
lawyers. He grew up in day care centers and boarding schools.

And it's roughest on the children....

Kids can be so cruel sometimes.

"Nyah! Nyah! Nyah! Your Dad's a POODLE!"

Scott :wink:
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Sat Oct 05, 2002 5:18 am

Daniel Cougar wrote:
LevelHead wrote:

No, they didn't. They may have thought they had one, but they didn't. :roll:

After all the obscure jokes and puns I've pulled, I'm ashamed to admit it, but this one went over my head... :oops:

Scott
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Link Added

Postby ZOMBIE USER 7666 on Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:58 am

Just letting you know Scott that I've added your link to my Online Comics Link's Page.

I'm slowly making progress among the pile of projects.
ZOMBIE USER 7666
Regular Poster

Re: Link Added

Postby ZOMBIE USER 6611 on Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:41 am

whitepony wrote:Just letting you know Scott that I've added your link to my Online Comics Link's Page.

I was thinking about you several hours ago, when I saw Richard Matheson's page.

I just realized that a question here, about "Affana" Tangent, was left unanswered and the thread went off on a tangent. ;)
ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster

FanArt of Dr. WHO?! Dr. Affana...that's who.

Postby ZOMBIE USER 7666 on Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:53 am

Both Scott and Richard have been a lot of fun to work with. I'm thinking about creating another page on my website to link to these cameos, just for fun. I figure this might also help with site familiarity for Scott, as other people explore the sightings of our silly little unicorn pony.

Flinthoof's online comic "Roomies" just recently had a Mint Commercial appearance of the silly little unicorn pony.

White Pony and red rubber ball (UPD) appearance at Mynarski Forest.

White Pony's appearance at Roomies.

---[ ANYWAY ]---

Concerning Dr. "Affana" Tangent..."Affana?!" "AFFANA!!!" Image

Scott did provide some insight into Dr.
ZOMBIE USER 7666
Regular Poster

Postby Matt Trepal on Mon Oct 14, 2002 11:01 am

LevelHead wrote:I just realized that a question here, about "Affana" Tangent, was left unanswered and the thread went off on a tangent. ;)

Could he be considered Jack's arc enemy?
<A HREF="http://www.fightcastorevade.net" TARGET=_blank>Fight Cast Or Evade</A>
Swords, sorcery, heroes, villains, and serious discourse on the socio-political issues facing our modern society.
Oh, and talking animals.
Matt Trepal
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kellogg on Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:00 pm

whitepony wrote:Just letting you know Scott that I've added your link to my Online Comics Link's Page.

Yay! Thanks! :D

Scott
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Postby Kellogg on Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:02 pm

Matt Trepal wrote:
LevelHead wrote:I just realized that a question here, about "Affana" Tangent, was left unanswered and the thread went off on a tangent. ;)

Could he be considered Jack's arc enemy?

Well, at least he doesn't go around asking:
"Whats your sine?"
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Re: FanArt of Dr. WHO?! Dr. Affana...that's who.

Postby Kellogg on Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:02 pm

whitepony wrote:Concerning Dr. "Affana" Tangent..."Affana?!" "AFFANA!!!" Image

Actually, that's a pretty good name for him. Of course, he'd hate it,
because people would be even more confused about his gender.

Of course, if he went by his initial, it might be just as bad:
A. Tangent... :roll:

The poor guy. Everyone assumes he's female or gay, instead of
just effemenite.

Scott did provide some insight into Dr. &#8220;Affana?&#8221; Tangent&#8217;s mind-set, but didn't really explain why Jack found a lab-coat with lace--I think Scott was being evasive for a reason. :D And now I see what could be easily mistaken for a feminine name--now I&#8217;m really wondering if my first hunch may not be that far off base.

Well, It *could* belong to a co-worker, but... well... It almost certainly
belongs to the Doctor. (Frankly, I'm not going to ask him... He might
get upset... Shhh...!) :o

The reason I&#8217;m asking about Dr *cough* Affana *cough* Tangent is because this character has caught my attention. I always try very hard to study a character before I draw them. I was toying with the idea of drawing Dr. (I love that name--Affana!) Tangent in a playful moment, which is why I was wondering about his/her true gender.

So before I make a complete fool of poor Dr. Tangent and myself, maybe I&#8217;d better ask Scott, and his readership, if a drawing of Dr. Tangent wearing frilly lacey underwear under his/her lab-coat would be appropriate.

That's a very good question. I'm glad you asked before doing a lot
of work. And for a difinitive answer, I'll have to say, it depends. :oops:

To explain: Once upon a time, I got some fan art of Jenny that I just
didn't feel 100% comfortable with. It wasn't *really* risque or anything,
just a sort of Marilyn Monroeish sort of thing with her skirt blowing up.
Nothing showed or anything, but because I consider Jenny to be a lady,
I thought and thought and thought and finally decided not to post it while
sending the most profuse apologies to the artist. :cry:

I still don't know if I did the right thing. It wasn't risque, but it
was out of character and, I didn't want people to be getting the
wrong impression about her. Still, I can't escape the horrible feeling
that I let a fan down. :(

Dr. Tangent however, is not nearly so sensitively portrayed.
He's a nut, and he's supposed to be. You're a pony of good taste. You
can probably do just about anything to him. :)

The good Doctor undoubtedly has the cut which is the most simple to
draw. ;) I'd say it's closest to the Spanish Continental cut:
http://academic.evergreen.edu/w/winhea1 ... nental.htm

Though, I'd simplify it to have only one poofle at the ankle instead of two.
Scott Kellogg
21st Century Fox
Kellogg
Regular Poster

Next

Return to 21st Century Fox