Favorite Britcoms

Favorite Britcoms

Postby Rann on Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:06 am

AKA British Comedies, but if you don't know that, you probably have no interest in this thread.

I think my just plain favorite would have to be "Chef!"
Gareth Blackstock is my hero. ... All except the lack of interest in sex. Anyone that can cut someone down to size with a rant the way that he can deserves to be immortalized in solid gold.

For sentimental purposes, I'd have to pick "Are You Being Served?"
Heck, a lot of people who don't even watch British comedies know this one, it's probably the most famous, outside of Monty Python. It was what really got me started on them, and has some of the best stuff. The only reason it doesn't top Chef! is that it's a little dated.

And, of course, everyone's favorite, "Red Dwarf".
Again, it's only a few factors that keep this from beating out Chef! in my estimation. One is the fault of my PBS station... they've been okay about showing the episodes in order lately, but by the time they did, it had stabilized in the eighth season. But I've laughed myself literally hoarse at Red Dwarf at times, specifically the "turanchula" scene in Terrorform.

Recent one that I really like is "My Hero".
It's about a superhero who falls in love with an English nurse he saves from falling into the Grand Canyon. The main character, George Sunday/Thermoman, is played by the "dumb priest" from Father Ted. George is kind of bad at learning to pretend to be an Earthling, which sort of complicates his relationship.

Let's see, others I watch...
"As Time Goes By"
"Allo Allo"
"Waiting For God"
"Fawlty Towers" (Even though that one has John Cleese, I don't think it's very good. Too Charlie Brown Syndrome for me. "Look, here's this poor guy's suffering, laugh!")
"Vicar of Dibley" (Really like that one, Dawn French is funny as hell.)
There's one other I watch, but can't stand at all, "Keeping Up Appearances". I only watch it if there's nothing else on. I know the main character is supposed to be annoying and frustrating... but she's TOO GOOD AT IT! Plus there is, again, Charlie Brown Syndrome with her husband.
Oh, "The Brittas Empire"... I kiiinda liked that one, SOMEtimes, but the guy that played Rimmer suffers from the same problem as the woman in "Keeping Up Appearances", he's a little too good at being annoying. Lately they've been showing "Father Ted" in place of this.
"Open All Hours"
There's one I can't remember the title of... about a guy who knows of a portal back to 1940, and he goes there whenever his psychology-student wife starts driving him nuts.
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby The Eagle and Child on Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:14 am

Red Dwarf is a fine watch. Keeping Up Appearances is okay, too. As Time Goes By is a very well-made show, but I've probably seen them all twice by now, so I avoid it like the plague. I don't like Allo Allo at all. Tried watching it a few times, didn't really like it.
The Eagle and Child
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:43 am

I feel bad, I've only seen a handful from your list. Red Dwarf is my favourite, of course, I had the privilege of seeing it in order.

Allo' Allo' is another one I like. It's no Red Dwarf, but funny in it's own right. I liked how everyone, even the Nazis, seemed like poor schmucks caught up in everything. It probably had one of the best endings of any comedy series.
Egad, no bondage?

http://www.marilith.com
Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Postby The Rookie on Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:48 pm

Black Adder
Mr. Bean
The Rookie
Regular Poster

Postby Lou-ki on Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:42 pm

i really enjoy black books if and when i get the feeble chance to watch it. it's rare, though. i'm on the 49th parellel in washington and i don't get cable tv... just canadain crap.
Lou-ki

Postby Rann on Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:44 pm

Krazy Krow wrote:I feel bad, I've only seen a handful from your list.

Don't feel bad. My PBS uses the fact that they have more Britcoms than anyone else as their selling point.
It might actually make me donate, too, if not for the fact that they'll preempt them for fundraising or other programming with no notice.
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:02 pm

My PBS lost 2 seasons of Allo' Allo' tapes! They suddenly went from smuggling Enigma out of France to Herr Flick getting plasic surgery.

Worst PBS ever. I was tempted to call in during their marathons just to tell them they suck and aren't getting a dime from me.
Egad, no bondage?

Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Postby Happy-pillz-pop-star on Sat Oct 05, 2002 1:50 pm

i like red dwarf and abfab.....

i also like changing rooms. i know that it isn't a britcom but it is a british show....
Don't you think that's totally spam? It's lubricated! well, i'm phasing.
Happy-pillz-pop-star
Regular Poster

Not to sound smug....

Postby IAmMe on Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:14 pm

....but being British, I've seen every show mentioned so far :wink:

*The difference of opinion bit*

No-one mentioned One foot in the grave!! :o the best ever BBC sit-com or 'Last of the Summer Wine' he longest running sitcom in Britian (over 20 years)

*The 'know it all section*
Rann, the one you can't think of with the time portal to the 1940s was 'Goodnight Sweetheart' starring the same bloke who played Rodney in 'Only Fools and Horses' (another all time clasic)

*the other bit*
Oh by the way Hello, I found this comic when random browsing, nice comic, and now added to my favorites list ( along with half the dead ends on the net, I gotta clean it out one of these days) ^_^*
IAmMe

Re: Not to sound smug....

Postby Rann on Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:19 pm

IAmMe wrote:....but being British, I've seen every show mentioned so far :wink:

*The difference of opinion bit*

No-one mentioned One foot in the grave!! :o the best ever BBC sit-com or 'Last of the Summer Wine' he longest running sitcom in Britian (over 20 years)

I know, I know, I forgot those. One Foot In The Grave is good, I like it. ^^ Last of the Summer Wine is okay...

*The 'know it all section*
Rann, the one you can't think of with the time portal to the 1940s was 'Goodnight Sweetheart' starring the same bloke who played Rodney in 'Only Fools and Horses' (another all time clasic)

Ah yes, that was the name of it. I didn't watch it this last week, I was busy playing Kingdom Hearts. They show Only Fools and Horses here, too, but I don't watch it.
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:44 pm

Hello! So is this britcom thread showing up in search engines now?

Not exactly a britcom, but Rowan Atkinson's stand-up stuff was great. I liked it when he dressed up as the devil, "Now all you pedophiles, could you please line up in front of that little waist-high guillotine?"
Egad, no bondage?

Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Postby Rann on Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:46 pm

I didn't know Rowan Atkinson did standup! :o
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:17 pm

Rann: You gotta track that down! It was funnier than anything he did as Mr. Bean or even Black Adder!
Egad, no bondage?

Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Postby Rann on Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:20 pm

Krazy Krow wrote:Rann: You gotta track that down! It was funnier than anything he did as Mr. Bean or even Black Adder!

I already downloaded the sketch from Kazaa Lite. (Thank the lord for Kazaa Lite!) Haven't watched it yet, as Smallville is on. I can't believe UPN is trying to challenge that with Haunted...
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:29 pm

It looks like Smallville will be cancelled because it conflicts with the canon of the upcoming Superman movie. I read a script review of it, and it sounds HORRIBLE!

Krypton doesn't explode, Jimmy is gay, Superman uses kung-fu, and Lex Luthor is also from Krypton.
Egad, no bondage?

Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Postby Rann on Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:32 pm

Krazy Krow wrote:It looks like Smallville will be cancelled because it conflicts with the canon of the upcoming Superman movie. I read a script review of it, and it sounds HORRIBLE!

Krypton doesn't explode, Jimmy is gay, Superman uses kung-fu, and Lex Luthor is also from Krypton.

Smallville's pure gold, they wouldn't cancel it for a movie. Smallville's already sparking a whole new genre of superhero TV.
I also heard about the horrible new Superman script. But it sounds like it's gonna be pulled since it got leaked and fan reaction has been fully on the side of hating it.
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby IAmMe on Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:16 am

Hello! So is this britcom thread showing up in search engines now?

No, I was voting on the keenspace 99 and saw the banner for this comic

I've seen Smallville, channel 4 are showing it over here, but I keep missing it so I'm not really into it. I've not heard about the new superman movie, sounds...... bad... (anyone remember the film of 'Lost in Space?)

Rowan Atkinson went to Uni in My home city! He was supposed to be a really boring git who spent 3 years in his room. I saw him in standup when he came back a while ago on tour, fantastic!

They show Only Fools and Horses here, too, but I don't watch it.

It's repeted all the time over here, one scene was voted 'the funniest TV moment of all time' in a national poll.
IAmMe

And now for smoething completly differert.

Postby IAmMe on Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:19 pm

I didn't want to be a barber anyway. I wanted to be a lumberjack, Leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia. The Giant Redwood! The Larch! The Fir! The Mighty Scots Pine! The smell of fresh cut timber. The Crash of mighty trees With my best Girly by my side! We'd Sing! Sing! Sing!

*you know whats comming now :D *

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK,
I Sleep all night, I work all day.

He's a Lumberjack and he's OK,
he sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go Shopping,
and have butterd scones for tea.

He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
he goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping,
and has butterd scones for tea.

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on womens clothing
and hang around in bars.

He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
he likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on womens clothing
and hangs around in bars....?

I cut down trees, I wear high heels,
suspendies and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
just like my dear Mama.

He cuts down trees, he wears high heels,
suspenders...and a bra?...

I wish I'd been a girlie,
just like my dearrrr Mamaaaa.

*sanity restored, please ignore this obscure monty python interuption*
IAmMe

Postby Krazy Krow on Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:27 pm

That's probably one of the least obscure Monty Python references :) I'm guessing Knights Who Say Ni is number one, but the lumberjack song is easily in the top 5.
Egad, no bondage?

Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Not to forget the dead parrot scene... (nudge nudge)

Postby Rhythm on Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:58 am

Hmmm.
I was waiting for somebody to sing the lumberjack song. Didn't take long.

A show where the main character goes back to the 40s through the gate behind his nostalgia shop; Goodnight Sweetheart.
It's gold, Jerry!

Oh, but my latest favourite:
Black Books.

Oh yeh!

Fran: "You know what they do in Tibet if they want something? They give something away!"
Bernard: "Oh really? That must be why they're such a dominant global power."

-Rhy
THE UN? HA! I SPIT ON THE UN!
-Pokey the Penguin
Rhythm

Next

Return to Krakow