"I think I'm getting a bedsore..."

"I think I'm getting a bedsore..."

Postby Rann on Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:05 am

Actually, I've noticed that on a lot of DVDs, the stuff they cut out is always put in the seperate "Outtakes" section. Dunno about the movie the guys are watching, but on stuff like... The Patriot. The Patriot has some scenes that were cut, but rather than go to this whole other menu and watch them, I'd really rather that they were stuck back in the movie so I can watch them in context.
And then there's the Harry Potter DVD, where you have to jump through hoops every time you want to look at the cut scenes, and hell, you have to have either already seen the cut scenes and made fuckin' notes from them or have the whole series of books laid out for reference material just so you can jump through the goddamned hoops. What the hell were they THINKING?!
Ahem.
But is it just me, or are most DVDs designed in a bass-ackwards way? If I wanna watch the movie with the cut bits in the places they're supposed to be, I should be able to. If I want to access special features, I should be able to do so without watching the entire fucking movie and waiting for a white rabbit to pop up during it, or being the movie's screenwriter.
My theory is that entertainers really REALLY hate us, the consumers. This explains CDs that have fifteen tracks of silence before the actual music starts, or have final tracks that are actually twenty minutes long with 3 minutes of song, 10 minutes of silence, and 7 minutes of fingernails-on-chalkboard-while-beating-a-loud-dog-to-death-with-a-keyboard noise on them. This explains why Blockbuster gets 70 copies of Rollerball and has four anime DVDs. This explains Star Trek: Voyager.
Feh, I say.
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:07 am

The cut scenes bug me too, I'd like to see the regular edition and director's cut on the same DVD. DVDs.... all the special features are too darn slow, I wish whoever implemented the DVD standard just put a bigger processor and some more RAM in, so it wouldn't have to scan the disk every time.

As for Apocalypse Now Redux, it's a new director's cut of a fairly famous 1979 film. The original was already 2 and a half hours long, Francis Ford Copolla spliced in another 45 minutes. Haven't seen it yet, I'm still kicking myself for missing it in the theatres.
Egad, no bondage?

http://www.marilith.com
Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Re: "I think I'm getting a bedsore..."

Postby DeafRei on Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:06 pm

You don't know what Apocalypse Now, however you're familiar with The Patriot DVD? *sigh*
DeafRei
Regular Poster

Postby Rann on Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:08 pm

Yeah, what's your point?
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Susano-[MacH] on Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:26 am

No worries, you made it yourself, Rann. Oh dear.
Susano-[MacH]
Regular Poster

Postby Rann on Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:06 pm

I have no clue what you two are talking about, so I'll just assume it's a movie snob thing. *shrugs* If you feel like feeling even more superior, I like Hackers, too. And all the Jurassic Park movies. I don't have to justify my taste in movies to anybody.
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Susano-[MacH] on Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:53 pm

Hey I think your avatar got even more angsty than it was before
Susano-[MacH]
Regular Poster

Postby Rann on Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:58 pm

Well, I haven't changed it at all. o.o So unless I'm capable of changing it via a sheer act of will, much like the eyes on Batman or Spider-Man's masks do...
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:55 pm

Don't mind the film snobs. But I'd say Apocalypse Now is at least worth a rental, Redux or otherwise. For a film generally thought to be one of the 100 greatest of all time, it's quite entertaining and accessible for the first 2/3rds. The last part might leave your popcorn munching moviegoer scratching their head, though.
Egad, no bondage?

Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Postby DeafRei on Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:58 pm

I wouldn't consider this a film snob thing, I think we just find it incredible that you haven't seen or even heard of Apocalypse Now. It resides in many best films of all time lists and along the way it has picked up a lot of awards: http://us.imdb.com/Tawards?0078788

It isn't your taste in films that we are taken aback by (no need to flaunt reverse pride), its your lack of verse in popular film.

Edit: I was originally forming this before Krazy Krow's post.

If I come off as snobbish it is most likely a result of my man servant Manuel Labory, whom I am currently dictating to, for he has become quite insolent as of late in both his tone and manner. I fear this is the result of my not having him submitted him to a proper caning in days.
DeafRei
Regular Poster

Postby Krazy Krow on Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:09 pm

Rei: That is precisely the reason that I have replaced my man-servant with a ro-bot.

If The Onion wasn't blocked here at work, I'd post a link to their story, "Local Man Cannot Stop Talking About 'Apocalypse Now'"
Egad, no bondage?

Krazy Krow
Regular Poster

Postby Susano-[MacH] on Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:20 pm

Actually, I only asked because my avatar is teetering ever closer to climax.

Krow: way to kiss it up, kissy
Susano-[MacH]
Regular Poster

Postby Rann on Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:26 pm

Susano-[MacH] wrote:Actually, I only asked because my avatar is teetering ever closer to climax.

Where'd you get that from, anyway...?
Mine's from a piece of art of my character I commissioned. I didn't think it looked "angsty", myself. n.n;; I thought maybe kinda grim, or just serious.
Rann
Regular Poster

Postby Susano-[MacH] on Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:44 pm

From a story in an anthology doujinshi based on the Viper series of fully animated hentai games.
Susano-[MacH]
Regular Poster

Return to Krakow