A child.

Postby BrockthePaine on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:25 am

*Waves to AnlaShokSe* <*> B5er, eh?
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby LoneWolf23k on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:12 pm

Wanderwolf wrote:This is something actually covered in the GURPS magic system; that, when going from Low Mana or Normal Mana to High Mana, someone who isn't used to the ambient level has "problems"... in much the same way as a man who lights a match in an oxygen tent.

Ouch.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer


I have GURPS, and it actually works like this.. In Low Mana area, only mages can cast spells, and all spells perform at -5 to skill, for all purposes. But at least critical failures have mild or no effect at all.

In Normal Mana areas, only mages can cast spells, and all spells work normally. But critical failures can possibly have very bad effects (The worst involve accidentally summoning a demon or other maling entity)

In High Mana areas, anyone who knows spells can cast them.

In Very High Mana areas, anyone who knows spells can cast them. A mage who spends Fatigue Points to power a spell on his turn gets those FP back at the start of his next turn. But all failures are treated as critical failures, and actual critical failures produce spectacular disasters...

Now, in game terms, Antilla is actually a Normal Mana area thanks to the Luxfont, while the rest of the world is a Low Mana world.
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm

Postby NydaLynn on Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 pm

MikeVanPelt wrote:Hm... The Frog Mage has never seen a human...

How does he know that this is a human child? Size? Do they have pictures of humans, showing the differences? It makes sense that an educated mage would know this, while the swamp folk didn't.

The kid looks very thin, and may be starving. This wouldn't be surprising if he's been fleeing witch hunters for some time. I think they have a good chance to gain his trust if they don't blow it.

Note, the Frog Mage is reporting stuff that happened however long ag it takes to get from the swamp to Sanctuary City. So I think it's safe to say they didn't muff it badly enough for the kid to do a "Carrie" on the whole village...


Hmm... would using lux take up alot of personal energy? Perhaps the child has a very high matabolism.
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>
User avatar
NydaLynn
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Amish Country, PA

Postby Tom Mazanec on Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:15 pm

I was thinking...what if the child learns some of the techniques of lux developed over the centuries by the Racconans? With their knowledge and his power....
Forum Mongoose
User avatar
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby SolidusRaccoon on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:50 am

Tom Mazanec wrote:I was thinking...what if the child learns some of the techniques of lux developed over the centuries by the Racconans? With their knowledge and his power....


*cackles* POWER!!!!!!!!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Postby TMLutas on Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:42 am

MikeVanPelt wrote:Hm... The Frog Mage has never seen a human...

How does he know that this is a human child? Size? Do they have pictures of humans, showing the differences? It makes sense that an educated mage would know this, while the swamp folk didn't.

The kid looks very thin, and may be starving. This wouldn't be surprising if he's been fleeing witch hunters for some time. I think they have a good chance to gain his trust if they don't blow it.

Note, the Frog Mage is reporting stuff that happened however long ag it takes to get from the swamp to Sanctuary City. So I think it's safe to say they didn't muff it badly enough for the kid to do a "Carrie" on the whole village...


We know that they have pictures of humans. There are a few examples (stained glass window, questor museum exhibit) that would give proportions. This would have been seen by any college trained wizard. Even if he didn't know the size of humans exactly the proportions for children are off across all species. This would give an immediate signal of immaturity.
TMLutas
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Postby Axelgear on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:55 am

The Frog Mage also mentions a few stumbling through now and then, so it's likely he's probably even interacted with one before.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
User avatar
Axelgear
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:30 am

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:40 am

Axelgear wrote:The Frog Mage also mentions a few stumbling through now and then, so it's likely he's probably even interacted with one before.

Ture enough. Although, I must admit, this kid does not look like a of 6 or 7 but more like 11 or 12. As in an early teenager. So I wonder if puberty has some play into it.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
User avatar
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2215
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:05 pm
Location: Not a fuzzy clue.... (waves)

AAaeeaiiheeaiyahh!

Postby Squirrelly61104 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:54 pm

Tom Mazanec:
I was thinking...what if the child learns some of the techniques of lux developed over the centuries by the Racconans? With their knowledge and his power....

Can you say,
Tarzan, of the Rac Conan! XD
AAHHH eeeyah HEEYAHH EEEE- Cough, cough, wheeze. :P
You can fool some of the people all of the time
And all of the people some of the time
But you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Squirrelly61104
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 376
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:11 am
Location: Sitting up and facing forward. Why?

Postby Nikas_Zekeval on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:(Let's hope he's more like Thanatanous the Mage than anyone else.)

(Hmm - "Seven Kings". And we see only three described.)


The title of that exhibit is 'The Kings of the Seven Villages" Not "The Seven Kings of the Villages". The Seven Villages is a nation, and the exhibit was about those that tried to conquor it, no numbers were given.
"Come on Sam, it can't be as hard as blowing up a star."
"I tell you, blow up one star and suddenly everyone thinks you can walk on water."
*Beepboop* [connection established]
"Okay. Up next, parting the Red Sea."
Gen. Jacob Carter and Lt. Col. Samatha Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Reckoning"
Nikas_Zekeval
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:56 pm

Postby Earl McClaw on Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:02 pm

Nikas_Zekeval wrote:The title of that exhibit is 'The Kings of the Seven Villages" Not "The Seven Kings of the Villages".

Ack! My bad! I guess I was rather "fuzzed" from hunger (supper time) and the Holidays.

You have to wonder how long ago these people got through the Mistwall.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
User avatar
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 759
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 8:15 am

Postby Wanderwolf on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:12 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:
Nikas_Zekeval wrote:The title of that exhibit is 'The Kings of the Seven Villages" Not "The Seven Kings of the Villages".

Ack! My bad! I guess I was rather "fuzzed" from hunger (supper time) and the Holidays.

You have to wonder how long ago these people got through the Mistwall.


Long enough that there was no Mistwall to get through, to judge by the stories.

Oh, and thank you for the correction, LoneWolf23K. Long time no Generic Universal Role Playing System.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Last edited by Wanderwolf on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Forney, TX, U.S.A.

Postby LoneWolf23k on Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:43 pm

Wanderwolf wrote:Long enough that there was no Mistwall to get through, to judge by the stories.

Oh, and thank you for the cotrrection, LoneWolf32K. Long time no Generic Universal Role Playing System.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer


No problem. And FYI, now's a good time to get back into GURPS, ever since 4th edition came out...
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm

Postby Wanderwolf on Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:50 am

LoneWolf23k wrote:No problem. And FYI, now's a good time to get back into GURPS, ever since 4th edition came out...


Grrr... edited typo, edited getting your name wrong...

Unfortunately, you're talking to someone whose childhood home is turning into a money pit, and who only makes $8/hour since he moved to a better-paying job. Barring presents, I'm not getting any new RPGs anytime soon, if ever again. Less than $700 in the bank, $2,000 in property taxes, $200 to fix a broken water pipe IF I can get it dug up, then throw in the leaky roof, the new hole in the guest room ceiling...

<sigh> This is not going well...

Yours truly,

The soon-to-be-bankrupt,

Wanderer
User avatar
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Forney, TX, U.S.A.

Previous

 

Return to NPC



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron