My house, my rules. (RHJunior no longer mod)

My house, my rules. (RHJunior no longer mod)

Postby STrRedWolf on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:21 pm

I've just gotten another complaint about behavior unbecoming a moderator against RHJunior... and I've reviewed various posts.

Given that I've warned RHJunior before, another abuse complaint that is investigated and proven true forces me to remove him from moderatorship.

Congrats, RHJ, you offically abused your power. You claim to "own" this forum. Sorry, you rent it like you rent an apartment; you get to pay to repair any damage that I see, and you really screwed it up this time.

You are banned from moderatorship on all three of your forums. Any attempt to work around this will be met by a general ban from the forums. Any new forums created will also ban you from the forums. Any further abuse after you have been banned will cause me to take your comics and delete them.

Nominations for new forum mods will happen early next year. For right now, if there's a flame war going on, PM me, Kisai, or Mercury Hat.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Postby Tom Mazanec on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:40 am

PLEASE don't delete the comics. It is unfair to punish the readers like that for the problems Ralph has. I know you have the power to do so, but concentrate on controlling him on the forums, PLEASE. If I miss out on my dose of TotQ forever I am liable to go into cold turkey withdrawl and require counseling (and I am not joking...I am an Asperger's and TotQ is one of my obsessions).
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:06 am

Frankly, I think this is sad. I thnk this is the result of the increased trolling activity on these forums and the person who complained is just looking to start trouble for RH. This is absolutely ridiculus. Congrats, trolls, you got what you wanted.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:26 am

Ever seen Fast Times at Ridgemont High? I'm thinking of the part where a very obnoxious customer causes a fast food employee to lose his temper and, with it, his job. I think the employer made the right decision, but it was still a shame.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:29 am

I find mysefl insulted by these, as Moonie put it, trolls.

lets get Ralph nominated back in charge asap so we can shut them up and maybe drive them away.

if you can't tell, now I'm mad. all this does is take things going from bad to worse.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tom Mazanec on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:46 am

The "trolls" started out as people who disagreed with Ralph. Maybe this is the wrong place to do so...because HO was posted on the comic page, however, I feel it is appropriate. I think some of them nagged Ralph too much when he made it clear that he wasn't going to change his mind...they just HAD to get in the last word. That is a value judgement, when you have reached an impasse and need to just agree to disagree. But the administrator, not the moderator, sets the rules on what a moderator can do. I too am sorry that Ralph's shutting up people who disagree with him led to his loss of moderator status...probably what he should have done is just let the other person have the last word and the thread would die. But both the "trolls" and Ralph wanted to have the last word, so it continued till Ralph locked the thread. Apparently STrRedWolf told Ralph not to behave in this way and Ralph continued to do so, so...
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:09 am

RH did overreact in some cases, but as a result of the trollish behavior of starting flame wars, people insulting the board members, constant re-posting of the same inflamitory material over and over, and deilberate attempts to cause disent and anger among the members. And this is all started Hard Onions was started. All this trollish activity started around then. Its like someone hitting you repeatidly in the arm over and over and they act surprised when you get angry and hit them back.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:44 am

Granted, Ralph had stated that he has a short temper, so the trolls apparently took advantage of that.
Still, his last declarations did seem a bit rushed, to me, at least. He COULD have sent a complaint to the higher ups (and that has worked before, too).
Perhaps, two weeks for a "time out" should be enough for EVERYONE to think a bit more before posting.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:30 am

JAM, are you proposing that the three entire forums be put on hold for everybody? If that happens, I hope I remember to return when the time-out is over.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Tom Mazanec on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:23 am

I hope JAM was referring just to Ralph...would be tough to go without the forums for 14 days (hard enough on me to not get the comic every day :-) )
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:37 pm

Yes, Tom. Sorry for not making myself clear there.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby RHJunior on Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Yes, I could have sent a complaint to the higher ups. However I was under the impression that I was a moderator, and that I was given lock and delete authority so as to deal with this sort of thing WITHOUT bothering the admins every five minutes.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Honestly, this whole pulling Ralph from the admin because he's trying to keep out a few people who just want to pick a fight is a very childish way of dealling with a problem caused by other childish people. It's almost like arresting a parent for spanking an unruly kid. I don't read he flame wars much, but it's easy to see some just egg him on and try to get him to blow. He should NOT have been pulled from his position as a Mod. And in all honesty, why wouldn't you give him full Lock/Delete power for his forums?
"Heh, sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get an intelligent conversation..."--Tbolt
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"--Edgar Allen Poe
"I just had an argument with myself, so now we're not talking."--me
"We are the salt of the earth, not the powdered sugar."--R.H. Jr.
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby Frigidmagi on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:21 pm

I've been on a number of other boards and I'm a mod on another. From what I've seen I wouldn't say RHJ did anything out of bounds.
Frigidmagi
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:17 pm

Well, understandable then. Still, we all should use these two weeks to see where we individually made mistakes (yes, myself included), and hopefully, come January, we'll have Ralph back on his feet and we SHOULD be able to discuss topics here without making anyone (not necessarily Ralph) lose their cool.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Axelgear on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:46 am

RHJunior wrote:Yes, I could have sent a complaint to the higher ups. However I was under the impression that I was a moderator, and that I was given lock and delete authority so as to deal with this sort of thing WITHOUT bothering the admins every five minutes.

Actually, Ralph, that's not the issue I think people had here. Threads where people openly argue in favour of your view were left open while threads that opposed your particular view directly were closed. It wasn't the power, it was the abuse of it.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:00 am

after getting some sleep I came to a conclusion. all I really care about is that the forums are fun again. if that means that we need a new mod then so be it.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby RHJunior on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:12 pm

These forums were set up as a discussion point for three webcomics. After five years of moderation, I have seen just about every possible argument posted here. After five years I had gone past the point where I was willing to "let things run their course...." I would get up every morning, go online, and instead of simply locking off-topic threads I would foolishly spend several hours trying to "debate" with people who simply repeated the same long-refuted arguments over again.

I locked threads only to have the participants return in another thread to resume the noisemaking. I went to the admins to have certain individuals banned, only to have them return under other pseudonyms.... or to have people who seemed to be cloned in the very same vat show up and start the nonsense over again.

What's more, over the past month, it instead became a place for certain people to tell me how stupid, bigoted, ignorant, UnChristian, etc. I am.... and to twit me with insults thinly veiled as "advice."

So, yes, I am confrontational, abrasive, rude, and no, I can't be "unbiased" as is apparently expected of me. Ironically in the effort to avoid becoming a jackbooted Mod Nazi who threadlocked anything that was vaguely off-topic, I have instead gone the long way around and become an embittered and intolerant ex-Mod. STRedwulf is, more or less, doing what I should have done myself some time ago--- removing myself as a mod and finding someone else to take the job.

Loads of luck to whoever wins THAT happy task. And may you have much joy of whatever prejudices and biases that unnamed soul brings to the table.

:shifty:
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mutant for Hire on Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:52 pm

Or you could simply have ignored the postings. Frankly, after over twenty one years on the Internet, I've learned not to get too emotional about anything I see on it. There is nothing that says you have to respond to postings. People say we're not forced to come here and post, the same can be said for the webcomic creator.
Mutant for Hire
Regular Poster

Postby Skull on Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:26 pm

I would get up every morning, go online, and instead of simply locking off-topic threads I would foolishly spend several hours trying to "debate" with people who simply repeated the same long-refuted arguments over again.

In almost every forum and bulletin board I'm a member of, from photography to programming, if they have an "off topic" forum, the rules specifically state "No Politics" and "No Religion". There's a reason for that.

You have three running webcomics, a LiveJournal and at least one side strip that deal either specifically or tangentally with both politics and religion, as the core philosophy and the primary content... and you expect readers to not discuss those topics in their forums?

The mind boggles. You're asking the hungry lion to not eat the wounded zebra that has been tied to a tree and slathered in barbeque sauce. What did you expect to happen?

~fin.
Skull
Regular Poster

Next

Return to NPC