OT: Why global warming will not finish us off

Postby Merry on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:57 am

TMLutas wrote:You are overstating the point I was making so let me make myself clearer. I was objecting to the fact that you denied that legitimate scientific skeptics pf global warming existed in Europe. I found several in a quick google search which tells me that you've been drinking some sort of groupthink kool-aid that is trying to stuff these voices down some orwellian memory hole and you didn't even bother checking.

We dont have (any kind of) Kool-Aid here :)

You are right on spot by proving me wrong with a google search. Problem is, we dont hear them, read them or see them on tellie. If we have to google them and read lenghty scientifical essayes in a foreign language, it nets to "not here". Of course, it is wrong to say they arent here at all - at least to some degree. If you say the libertarian party in the US is insignificant because they get 3% ish votes, it is true. If you say they arent there it is wrong, and I made that error with the "anti-alarmist" scientists that happen to be there without me knowing.
Merry
Regular Poster

Postby TMLutas on Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Merry wrote:You are right on spot by proving me wrong with a google search. Problem is, we dont hear them, read them or see them on tellie. If we have to google them and read lenghty scientifical essayes in a foreign language, it nets to "not here". Of course, it is wrong to say they arent here at all - at least to some degree. If you say the libertarian party in the US is insignificant because they get 3% ish votes, it is true. If you say they arent there it is wrong, and I made that error with the "anti-alarmist" scientists that happen to be there without me knowing.

I would suggest that in a great many things the European press and mass culture is letting Europe down, keeping vital information off the table. This is a thing that Europe and Europeans are going to have to solve. All that an American can do is to point out when the EU groupthink veers off obviously into unreality and ask "isn't it embarrasssing?" that elementary mistakes are made. Hopefully, you'll now be even 1% more likely to fact check consensus EU opinion and it will lead you into a more accurate assessment of the world. I'm confident that if that is the case and this sort of thing becomes the rule on both sides of the Atlantic, EU/US differences will become sustainable and manageable and let us continue our long-term friendship.

That doesn't seem like too much to ask IMO. Let's fact check our respective pied pipers and let good old common sense rule the roost.
TMLutas
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to NPC