Riddle game

Riddle game

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:34 pm

first off, Celidah, please don't be mad, I'm not trying to copy you. I've tried this in another forum and was disappointed that the forum didn't have enough activity to keep up with it, secondly it is a different kind of game with a different set of rules so please don't be mad. you can even participate if you wish

the idea is pretty simple.

first, the riddle teller says part of an event or part of the riddle

second, the riddle solvers try to ask questions to determine the rest of the event or riddle

third, the riddle solvers use the answers to the questions to guess what the full story is and why it happened

the rules.

first, most of your questions have to be either yes or no questions, the exception being that if you're trying to shorten down a list (ie. instead of asking is it green, is it blue, is it puce, is it red, you ask what color is it, that is acceptable)
please note that not all answers will be yes or no, sometimes they will be short pieces of the story or other stuff.

at any time a riddle solver can ask for a summary at which time the riddle sayer will take all the answers he/she has given and combine it with the story so far and say it all together,

any riddle solver can try to summarize what he/she thinks the whole story is, if the solver's summary is oh, say 90% accurate and contains the key information that the riddle teller was looking for (the key to the riddle) then the riddle teller will declare the riddle solved and tell the story/riddle in it's entirity, including the answers previously given.

once a riddle is solved, anyone anxious enough to try is welcome to make another riddle and be it's riddle teller

anybody wanna play or am I just blowing steam?

I think I can start us off ok

a man came to his house one day drunk
he went inside, went upstairs, turned off the light, and fell asleep.
the next morning he woke up, went downstairs, went outside and found the morning paper.
after reading the paper for a little bit he went back inside and killed himself

now, what really happened here (and please no spoiling it if you've heard this one before)
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:32 am

Did one of his actions on the previous night cause a disaster somewhere?
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:51 am

yes
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:31 am

I think I know the answer already. Should I wait a bit?
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:42 am

since it's so early, you can PM me and I'll tell you if you're right or not, if not you can post it so it can help any other players, if you're right lets wait until after a few more people have asked, no sense spoiling things too quickly (unless everyone else also guesses it really early)
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:58 am

OMG jOO STOLE MY IDEAA I HATE jOO!!1!!!1111111

Just kidding. :lol:

Actually, I'm glad you're spreading the mind gamey goodness across the forums, riddles make life happy. Besides, I took the Executioner game idea off another forum that I occasionally read, but am not a part of. (whistles innocently)

And speaking of this riddle game:

Did the man commit a crime the night before?
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:08 pm

let me specify something first, I got two questions either about "the night before" or "the previous night"

the time frame of the riddle takes place from late evening/early night one day to mid/late morning the next day.

for both questions I am assuming you mean the night that the man slept through.

so, Celidah, to answer your question. yes, he did commit a crime durring the night.

do tell, Celidah, what forum you have seen such riddles from, I sometimes look at forums from other places and never participate, perhaps I have heard of it.

(and thank you for not being mad)
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shyal_malkes on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:48 pm

if yalls don't mind I'm gonna end this one early. mostly because I've had three different people PM me the answer and it's no fun having people just wait while knowing the answer and not being able to ask questions.

so far, the three (so they get credit)

Deckard Canine
The Lurking Dragon
Brannick

got it right,

can one (or all three if you guys like) wanna say it openly to the rest riddle guessers?
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:18 am

The man was a lighthouse operator. He read news of a shipwreck and blamed himself for not lighting the way.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Return to NPC