Talk about killing the messanger.

Postby Earl McClaw on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:57 am

Axelgear wrote:Could this be real magic (And in which case, Quentyn has a problem) or just non-Mage Blind humans?

I'd say it's all lux.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Tuyu on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:59 am

Squeaky Bunny wrote:I haven't found the source yet so I don't know if this actually happened or not.

Probably not.

Snopes has the same story, only with seals named as the victim.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/lists/fakenews.htm

(first bulleted item)
Tuyu
Regular Poster

Postby TMLutas on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:14 pm

Tuyu wrote:
Squeaky Bunny wrote:I haven't found the source yet so I don't know if this actually happened or not.

Probably not.

Snopes has the same story, only with seals named as the victim.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/lists/fakenews.htm

(first bulleted item)

I could certainly imagine this as a PR nightmare "what if" scenario that Exxon tossed around and then somebody just started telling it as a funny story that really happened.
TMLutas
Regular Poster

Postby Lee M on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:46 pm

On a related note, the Duchy of Fenwyck is a reference to The Mouse that Roared, right?
Ever notice that all the trouble in this world is caused by people trying to get rid of troublemakers?
Lee M
Regular Poster

Postby Nikas_Zekeval on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:46 pm

maxgoof wrote:What it misses is a reference to the date of the strip the beginning is referring to.

At least we know that the ability to call and gain the cooperation of animals is not at all uncommon. Nessie is apparently self-taught, but not unique, since even black ribbon Quentyn can do it.

Oh, and that was one of the funniest strips in quite some time.

Nessie is unique in her range and coverage of 'kenning', and possibly influence. If a typical Rac'conan is a police radar gun, then Nessie is a fully powered up Aegis firecontrol system.
"Come on Sam, it can't be as hard as blowing up a star."
"I tell you, blow up one star and suddenly everyone thinks you can walk on water."
*Beepboop* [connection established]
"Okay. Up next, parting the Red Sea."
Gen. Jacob Carter and Lt. Col. Samatha Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Reckoning"
Nikas_Zekeval
Regular Poster

Postby Nikas_Zekeval on Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Lee M wrote:On a related note, the Duchy of Fenwyck is a reference to The Mouse that Roared, right?

Spelled differently, but sure looks like it. Now all we need is a very touchy Lux powered bomb for Quentin to recover... :lol:
"Come on Sam, it can't be as hard as blowing up a star."
"I tell you, blow up one star and suddenly everyone thinks you can walk on water."
*Beepboop* [connection established]
"Okay. Up next, parting the Red Sea."
Gen. Jacob Carter and Lt. Col. Samatha Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Reckoning"
Nikas_Zekeval
Regular Poster

Postby Sharuuk on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:07 pm

I didn't get to post on the original strip, but when I saw the sparrow get nailed, I nearly wet myself laughing......because I witnessed something similar.

Not quite a year ago I drove for a huge (10 stretch limos) wedding that was held at some high muckety-mucks enormous (lotsa acreage) estate.

Part of the ceremony was the release of two white doves that would cirlce the ceremonial area three times and then head off toghther into the distance.

Well, the birds were released from their heart shaped box, up they flew to get their bearings...they then circled once, twice, thrice....POW!!!! Suddenly there is only one white dove and a cloud of white feathers drifting on the wind as something dark streaked in out of nowhere and nailed one of the doves. Whatever it was could be seen flying at a high rate of speed into the distance with the dead dove clutched in it's talons. :o

I was standing near the limos with the other chauffeurs when this happened and in the stunned silence that followed, leaned over and whispered to one of them...

"This does NOT bode well for this joining does it?" :twisted:

Poor guy had to grab his nose and mouth and dash back to his car so as to not be heard in hysterical laughter.

Never learned which bird, male or female got nailed.......buuuut I'm still keeping a loose tab on these two to see if some catastrophe befalls one of them in three years or so, as nothing's happened in 3 days, weeks, or months after the incident.

I'm still not sure whether it was a hawk or falcon as we have both here in Florida.......but Quentyn's encounter sure brought a guffaw of memory back.....especially the look on his face in the last panel.

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:24 am

Sharuuk wrote:I didn't get to post on the original strip, but when I saw the sparrow get nailed, I nearly wet myself laughing......because I witnessed something similar.

Not quite a year ago I drove for a huge (10 stretch limos) wedding that was held at some high muckety-mucks enormous (lotsa acreage) estate.

Part of the ceremony was the release of two white doves that would cirlce the ceremonial area three times and then head off toghther into the distance.

Well, the birds were released from their heart shaped box, up they flew to get their bearings...they then circled once, twice, thrice....POW!!!! Suddenly there is only one white dove and a cloud of white feathers drifting on the wind as something dark streaked in out of nowhere and nailed one of the doves. Whatever it was could be seen flying at a high rate of speed into the distance with the dead dove clutched in it's talons. :o

I was standing near the limos with the other chauffeurs when this happened and in the stunned silence that followed, leaned over and whispered to one of them...

"This does NOT bode well for this joining does it?" :twisted:

Poor guy had to grab his nose and mouth and dash back to his car so as to not be heard in hysterical laughter.

Never learned which bird, male or female got nailed.......buuuut I'm still keeping a loose tab on these two to see if some catastrophe befalls one of them in three years or so, as nothing's happened in 3 days, weeks, or months after the incident.

I'm still not sure whether it was a hawk or falcon as we have both here in Florida.......but Quentyn's encounter sure brought a guffaw of memory back.....especially the look on his face in the last panel.

Şaaruuk

It sounds like it was't a dove as much as an omen pidgeon.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:05 am

I'm positive they were doves as they were way too small to be pidgeons.

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tom Mazanec on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:07 am

Squeaky Bunny was making a bad pun.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:25 am

Tom Mazanec wrote:Squeaky Bunny was making a bad pun.

Well if he was, it flew completely over my head. :wink:

Seriously, I didn't get the reference.

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tom Mazanec on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:37 am

"omen pidgeon" sounds like "homing pidgeon", as in those birds that are trained to carry a message and return home.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:52 am

Tom Mazanec wrote:"omen pidgeon" sounds like "homing pidgeon", as in those birds that are trained to carry a message and return home.

*Smacks forhead with hand*

D'oh.......I was concentrating on the word 'omen' and thinking of the movie(s). :-?

Gotta be the meds I'm taking for this ferocious head cold I've been battling for the past week. :x

On a more serious note, doves can also be trained to return to the coop after being released from other locations. I've seen this particular part of wedding ceremonies before.....just not with one of the birds getting nailed by raptor.

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:28 pm

Tom Mazanec wrote:"omen pidgeon" sounds like "homing pidgeon", as in those birds that are trained to carry a message and return home.

And omen pidgeon portends coming events. (Spider Robinson fans will know where I stole this from)

Sorta like when magician Doug Henning had a dove poop on him at his wedding.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lee M on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:45 pm

Squeaky Bunny wrote:

And omen pidgeon portends coming events. (Spider Robinson fans will know where I stole this from)

Sorta like when magician Doug Henning had a dove poop on him at his wedding.

When the guy carrying the doves tripped over a guy wire and demolished the marquee, he knew it must be a portent.
Ever notice that all the trouble in this world is caused by people trying to get rid of troublemakers?
Lee M
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to NPC