Talk about killing the messanger.

Talk about killing the messanger.

Postby SolidusRaccoon on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Bwa ha ha, that hada to stink, after writing such a nice note.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Postby JRpec on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:02 pm

That was 'laugh out loud' funny.

Oh, and poor sparrow, too.
JRpec

Postby Axelgear on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:11 pm

I believe that is called "Complete and Utter Ownage", at least from a technical standpoint.

Heh heh heh.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby J4N1 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:26 pm

does this thread miss a post?
J4N1
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:40 pm

well, that's a lot of questions either answered or shunted aside. interresting.

but now I'm thinking of what his parents are going to think.

"found humans"
(oh, dear, I wonder what their reaction was)
"looking for fort"
(he's already started a war with them? that was fast)

ok, so mabe I'm exagerating juat a tad.

but one question I do have, why did he have to shorten it down? I mean the message was stored in the ring wasn't it? so unless the hawk swallowed the ring or something... or was it the ring's job to store it in the bird?
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Maxgoof on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:41 pm

What it misses is a reference to the date of the strip the beginning is referring to.

At least we know that the ability to call and gain the cooperation of animals is not at all uncommon. Nessie is apparently self-taught, but not unique, since even black ribbon Quentyn can do it.

Oh, and that was one of the funniest strips in quite some time.
Max Goof
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy
Maxgoof
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:49 pm

I missed it, did someone say pull right before Quentyn released the bird? :o
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:56 pm

shyal_malkes wrote:but one question I do have, why did he have to shorten it down?

That one worries me too, could it be that the ring the sparrow had was lost and that he has to conserve his lux so that he cant risk writing a longer second message?

Coupled with his comment that he spent "all day" gathering lux for the fairy bottle, it seems that he's going to be constantly "running dry" while he's in the outside.

[randomspec]Would the fort have some kind of luxfont or lux storage wells of its own? If it had to be defended you'd think the people there would have at least some method of drawing more/storing lux to use.
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby BrockthePaine on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:43 pm

Whoops!
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:13 pm

Well, it LOOKS like they left the family on good terms...
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:47 pm

BlasTech wrote:[randomspec]Would the fort have some kind of luxfont or lux storage wells of its own? If it had to be defended you'd think the people there would have at least some method of drawing more/storing lux to use.

I don't think so. Aren't humans for the most part mage-blind?

Quentyn wrote:"........With love, your son, Quentyn"

BAAAAM!

Quentyn wrote:".......Love, Q"

(made me giggle)
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Hallan on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:37 pm

I laughed so hard my ribs hurt.

'Nuff said.

Hallan
Hallan
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:44 pm

Madmoonie wrote:
BlasTech wrote:[randomspec]Would the fort have some kind of luxfont or lux storage wells of its own? If it had to be defended you'd think the people there would have at least some method of drawing more/storing lux to use.

I don't think so. Aren't humans for the most part mage-blind?

Humans?? Im talking about the rac-conan trade-fort (mentioned in panel 1). Isn't (or wasn't) it some kind of rac-conan settlement?
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby Madmoonie on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:56 pm

BlasTech wrote:[Humans?? Im talking about the rac-conan trade-fort (mentioned in panel 1). Isn't (or wasn't) it some kind of rac-conan settlement?

Yes, indeed, I forgot what he looking for.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:30 pm

shyal_malkes wrote:but one question I do have, why did he have to shorten it down? I mean the message was stored in the ring wasn't it? so unless the hawk swallowed the ring or something... or was it the ring's job to store it in the bird?

I'd say the hawk either flew off with the ring (which he then couldn't find and had to make another) and/or he caught a different hawk as a messenger.

This was a problem for military messenger pigeons, too. In WWII, the Germans routinely operated falconers to intercept pigeons headed for Britain (or coming in). Some of the "duels" got rather intense.

An interesting second choice. More than likely able to deal with the hazards of the trip, but not known for migrations or long-distance travel. But as the saying goes, "In a fight between a falcon and a hawk, always bet on the falcon."
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Jwrebholz on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:07 pm

Remember that FedEx ad from the Superbowl a year or so ago?

Caveman sets out with a "package", ties it to the leg of a pterodactyl. Said pterodactyl immediately gets eaten by another dino. Caveman returns to boss.
Caveman: Package didn't make it.
Boss: Did you use FedEx?
Caveman: It hasn't been invented yet!
Boss: Not my problem. You're fired.
Caveman leaves, only to get stepped on by another dino.

...ok, so it loses something out of context, but it was funny.
^ the above was me sounding like I know WTF I'm talking about.
Jwrebholz
Regular Poster

Postby Axelgear on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:34 am

Something DOES strike me, however... Elves obviously could weild Lux. And let us not forget that you have humans out there who HAVE to be able to as well, because, once again, there have been points in human history where they were taunted by people claiming to weild magic. Could this be real magic (And in which case, Quentyn has a problem) or just non-Mage Blind humans?

EDIT: I think this is the ad you mean, right?
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Jwrebholz on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:19 am

That would be the one.

Funny as hell. :D
^ the above was me sounding like I know WTF I'm talking about.
Jwrebholz
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:34 am

I hate it when that happens! Good thing we live in a time of email; those messages never get lost. Wait....

shyal_malkes wrote:why did he have to shorten it down?

Many people, when they have to rewrite a message that didn't make it the first time (or especially a few times), resort to shorter forms. It's partly impatience and partly a fear that the next message will have no better luck and therefore merits less effort.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:49 am

I haven't found the source yet so I don't know if this actually happened or not.

When the Exxon Valdez cleanup was going on. One of the sea otters that had been saved was ready for its release back into the wild. A huge media event was made of the deal and excitedly they let the otter go. It swam out for a ways when an orca surfaced and swallowed it in front of everyone.

I like FedEx's Delivery for Oz commercial too.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to NPC