Pets. Who has them?

Postby Deckard Canine on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:55 am

I don't have a recent photo ready yet, but I'll tell you about my family's cat (I no longer live in the same house, so whether she can still be called "my cat" is debatable). Millie is 18 1/2 years old. Going by the modern veterinary system -- 15 for the first year, 9 for the second, and 4 for each thereafter -- that makes 90 cat years. Going by the simple old system of seven times the human rate, she would be 130.

Does she show it? Millie still scampers once in a while, but her arthritic back makes her have to think hard before jumping. She also seems to have gone completely deaf, with a declining sense of smell. If no one is directly in her field of view, she is likely to whine.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:46 pm

Smokie our 13 year old cat under the Christmas tree. :D
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Re: Pets. Who has them?

Postby RHJunior on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:18 pm

Axelgear wrote:Hey everyone who comes here, I made this topic to try and cheer people up. So I now present what I hope will be the first of many images that make people smile: My Sugar Glider, Dweebit.

Arrr, curse you and your evil cuteness, who would have thought a poster like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness, aaah the pink noses and pink toeses, I'm meeelllllllltingggggg.....
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:46 pm

Dapple wrote:This is my cat, "The fluff cat".

<snip>
Canis_lupus wrote:I dont see anything.

Then try going here:
http://ic3.deviantart.com/fs12/i/2006/3 ... pple33.jpg

Apparently DeviantArt doesn't like that kind of linking.

My family kept pets, but living on my own I realized that I can't be so cruel as to keep an animal in the kind of home I run. :roll: The ones I remember best are:
  • Tinkerbill - a stray we found when we moved. (Hey, we were ages 5-9. We didn't know it was male!) Often let out at night, until he didn't come "home".
  • Cleopatra - IIRC a beagle/daschaund mix. Put down gently after a severe back injury.
  • Jimmy & Uncle Jennifer - Two from the same litter. Jenny was thought to be female by everyone including the vet - until he sliced her open. Jimmy lasted until in old age he couldn't fight of an infection; Jenny outlasted his brother until he became even stranger and was causing damage.
  • Winifred - Winny was something like a cocker mix, with semi-long clumpy hair. I don't remember how she passed.
  • Jasper - A cat a sister got after she first moved out, but passed to Mom & Dad at one point. I think he was retrieved by said sister.

When it became just my parents at the house, the pets were cared for but never replaced.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:11 pm

Lucy Peavency, our current cat (don't ask me how many pets we've had since 1978). Sorry for the blurryness, my digital camera is rather cheap (US $40)
Attachments
Lucy.JPG
Lucy.JPG (24.54 KiB) Viewed 410 times
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Werekitty on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:28 pm

Presenting my felines.
Penny, the queen of the castle.

Roy, the petting addicted male.

And Coonie, the Pirate Cat! Arr.

And strangly enough I have no problem linking to Deviant Art. >.>
"When you want something done, you ask a man. When you want it done quietly and without any fuss, you ask a woman."
-Mercedes Lackey

I am the Werekitty. Here me mew.

Hope springs eternal.
It just doesn't land where you want.
Werekitty
Regular Poster

Re: Pets. Who has them?

Postby Axelgear on Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:05 pm

RHJunior wrote:
Axelgear wrote:*Snip*

Arrr, curse you and your evil cuteness, who would have thought a poster like you could destroy my beautiful wickedness, aaah the pink noses and pink toeses, I'm meeelllllllltingggggg.....

Note to self... Speak loudly and carry a Sugar Glider...
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Meyer on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:00 pm

My Maine Coon cat...

That's a yard stick behind him. You should see him when he really stretches out!

Shown here doing what he does best:

He is uber proud of that tail.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author: The Life Is a Road series of motorcycle adventure books
Daniel Meyer
Regular Poster

Postby GrayTiger on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:33 am

This is Miss Daisy Mae spending quality time with her daddy.
Attachments
daisymonitor2.JPG
daisymonitor2.JPG (38.51 KiB) Viewed 324 times
"It's great to be known, but it's even better to be known as strange." -- Takeshi Kaga

"I've seen worse." -- Edwina Troutt, TITANIC survivor, during a stormy Carribean cruise, in response to a fellow passenger's query, "Are you worried?"
GrayTiger
Regular Poster

Postby Axelgear on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:42 am

I wonder why cats sleep so constantly? Do they know something we don't? Cats are by nature solitary though, so it makes sense...
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:33 am

Maybe cats are so cool and smart that they find most of the world too boring for wakefulness.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Earl McClaw on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:07 am

They're predators. They sleep to conserve as much energy as possible for hunting.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to NPC