Domestic Terrorist Attack on US Soil

Domestic Terrorist Attack on US Soil

Postby Lazerus on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50 pm

http://www.thephoenix.com/article_ektid28087.aspx

On September 11, 2006, the fifth anniversary of the terror attacks that devastated our nation, a man crashed his car into a building in Davenport, Iowa, hoping to blow it up and kill himself in the fire.

No national newspaper, magazine, or network newscast reported this attempted suicide bombing, though an AP wire story was available. Cable news (save for MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann) was silent about this latest act of terrorism in America.

Had the criminal, David McMenemy, been Arab or Muslim, this would have been headline news for weeks. But since his target was the Edgerton Women’s Health Center, rather than, say, a bank or a police station, media have not called this terrorism — even after three decades of extreme violence by anti-abortion fanatics, mostly fundamentalist Christians who believe they’re fighting a holy war.

Since 1977, casualties from this war include seven murders, 17 attempted murders, three kidnappings, 152 assaults, 305 completed or attempted bombings and arsons, 375 invasions, 482 stalking incidents, 380 death threats, 618 bomb threats, 100 acid attacks, and 1,254 acts of vandalism, according to the National Abortion Federation.

Abortion providers and activists received 77 letters threatening anthrax attacks before 9/11, yet the media never considered anthrax threats as terrorism until after 9/11, when such letters were delivered to journalists and members of Congress.

After 9/11, Planned Parenthood and other abortion-rights groups received 554 envelopes containing white powder and messages like: “You have been exposed to anthrax. . . . We are going to kill all of you.” They were signed by the Army of God, a group that hosts Scripture-filled Web pages for “Anti-Abortion Heroes of the Faith,” including minister Paul Hill, Michael Griffin, and James Kopp, all convicted of murdering abortion providers, and a convicted clinic bomber, the Reverend Michael Bray. Another of their “martyrs,” Clayton Waagner, mailed anthrax letters while a fugitive on the FBI’s 10 most wanted list for anti-abortion related crimes.

“I am a terrorist,” Waagner declared on the Army of God’s Web site. Boasting that God “freed me to make war on his enemy,” he claimed he knew where 42 Planned Parenthood workers lived. “It doesn’t matter to me if you’re a nurse, receptionist, bookkeeper, or janitor, if you work for the murderous abortionist, I’m going to kill you.”

That’s textbook terrorism, defined by the USA Patriot Act as dangerous criminal acts that “appear to be intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population” or “to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion.”

Which brings us back to car bomber, McMenemy. According to the Detroit Free Press (the only newspaper in the Nexis news database that reported his crime), he targeted the women’s health center because he thought it provided abortions. It doesn’t. (Oops!) It provides mostly low-income patients with pap smears, ob-gyn care, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, birth control, and nutrition and immunization programs for women and children.

The attack caused $170,000 in property damage and left poor families without health care for a week. But long after Edgerton’s water-logged carpets are removed, scorched medical equipment replaced, and new doors reopened to the public, a culture of fear will linger among doctors, nurses, advocates, and patients across the country, who will worry they could be next. Some frightened workers will quit their jobs; some women will be too scared to get the health care they need.

Every fresh incident of anti-abortion terrorism is a reminder that women’s health supporters are not safe in a country where abortion is legal but mobilized zealots believe Jesus has empowered them to kill to prevent women from choosing it.

Is McMenemy a lone nut case, or a member of that network of violent extremists? We don’t know, because journalists haven’t investigated.

Nor have they reported that just last year, nearly one in five abortion clinics experienced gunfire, arson, bombings, chemical attacks, assaults, stalking, death threats, and blockades, according to the 2005 National Clinic Violence Survey. Additionally, 59 percent suffered intimidation tactics such as photo and video surveillance.

Federal efforts to hunt down these terrorists improved with the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act in 1994 and the National Task Force on Violence Against Health Care Providers, established by the Department of Justice in 1998. The feds have taken over McMenemy’s case, charging him with arson against a business affecting interstate commerce. Yet as of October 5, no news outlet on Nexis reported this, despite a second AP story.

As we continue national debates on how to keep America safe from terrorism, journalists do us — and especially women — no good pretending that the threats come only from radical Muslims outside our borders.

When you read this, you are no doubt going to say "But their crazy! While I may be against abortion, I would never...". Yes, of course, the vast majority of christans would never consider something like this.

But, by that same count, it's a relativly small number of muslems who are willing to blow themselves up. The majority, by not acting against the violent minority, silently condones and supports their actions.
Lazerus
Regular Poster

Postby Axelgear on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:14 pm

I smell gasoline for a flamewar. Delete this now or you're just causing problems. You have a right to say this, but I just forsee problems...

This also doesn't really belong on the TotQ forums.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Dapple on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:20 pm

O this is about that abortion thing again. This is a topic I don't think anyone can agree on . So lets get pizza.
Trogdor Bruninating the Country side....
http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogday.html

And now for something completely different
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy ... view.shtml
hehe
Dapple
Regular Poster

Postby Sapphire on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:23 pm

Axelgear wrote:I smell gasoline for a flamewar. Delete this now or you're just causing problems. You have a right to say this, but I just forsee problems...

This also doesn't really belong on the TotQ forums.

As long as Hayes keeps dragging his personal political agendas kicking and screaming into TotQ, where it has been explained to him it is not welcome, then this kind of behavior is fair game.

At such time Hayes takes HO off TotQ and puts it on his livejournal, N&T, GH, or another site, then will actions such as this become reprehensible.

I pray for that day. I really do.
I would have hoped to say something meaninful, or possible inciteful. But, alas.
How goes the world today? From right to left or left to right? Perhaps it runs round mad reels, turning in on itself only at long last to blow away with the leaves and gutter-trash.
How goes the world today? Top to Bottom or Bottom to Top? Perhaps it will rise high enough so that it may see the back of its own head, in a maddening tunnel of infinity.
How goes the world today? Clockwise or Counter? Perhaps it will spin itself mad, curling a spring-from into endlessness.
Or maybe, today, it will just stop.
Sapphire
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:56 pm

ok, first off, Lazerus, you had better be ready for the grill, because the only thing you're getting is burned from all this

secondly

Sapphire, shut up!

it is not your place to say what is and isn't free game, TOTQ belongs to Ralph and Ralph alone, and in case you hadn't noticed, HE, (not you) is the one and ONLY moderator of this (and his other two) forums, and it is HE and he ALONE that determins what is and is not appropriate both in HIS comics and on HIS forums. if Ralph wants to put something that you don't happen to agree with that's no excuse for you to throw a hissy fit about it.

as much as I don't like being rude and mean, I can't believe someone has the audacity to tell Ralph what is and isn't free game, please, spare me.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby NydaLynn on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:02 pm

Dapple wrote:O this is about that abortion thing again. This is a topic I don't think anyone can agree on . So lets get pizza.

I like pizza. Peperoni and Ham&Pineapple are my top pics. ^.^ *tummy growls* wish I could go to Stevi B's instead of being stuck doing finals. :cry:
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>
NydaLynn
Regular Poster

Postby Rangers on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:04 pm

This guy's a terrorist. Or an insurgent. Or maybe a freedom fighter.

I'd like sausage and mushrooms on mine.
Join the adventure at http://rangers.keenspace.com
Licensed Online Comic Macquettes - get 'em at http://www.ntoonz.com
Rangers
Regular Poster

Postby Axelgear on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:06 pm

I'll get just plain Pepperoni on mine. I also have Fish and Chips if anyone wants some.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:16 pm

That's odd, if this story is indeed true, I wonder why there wasn't anything on it on CNN. Or, you'd think that NOW, Planned Parenthood, et al would have blown their lungs out over this.

Pizza?? Ground beef on mine!!
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Canis_lupus on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:18 pm

ill take some garlic basil pizza. Or white castle.
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Location: Off some Turnpike in Jersey. check next to the landfill.

Postby Madmoonie on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:39 pm

This thread is......weird.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sapphire on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:39 pm

shyal_malkes wrote:ok, first off, Lazerus, you had better be ready for the grill, because the only thing you're getting is burned from all this

secondly

Sapphire, shut up!

it is not your place to say what is and isn't free game, TOTQ belongs to Ralph and Ralph alone, and in case you hadn't noticed, HE, (not you) is the one and ONLY moderator of this (and his other two) forums, and it is HE and he ALONE that determins what is and is not appropriate both in HIS comics and on HIS forums. if Ralph wants to put something that you don't happen to agree with that's no excuse for you to throw a hissy fit about it.

as much as I don't like being rude and mean, I can't believe someone has the audacity to tell Ralph what is and isn't free game, please, spare me.

My post was not a matter of what can or cannot be where it is or is not.

My post was a matter of the ramifications of those actions.

If (a) happens, and you support (a), do not complain that, as a result, (b) happens.

If Ralph posts political thoughts on TotQ, and you support Ralph in that action, do not complain that, as a result, politics get involved in the forums.

That's it. This has nothing to do with disagreement. This has everything to do with this being the wrong place for it. Remember The Hard Onions flowchart? Or do you disagree with that?

Dissent is allowed. Remember that the next time you get so pissed you think you can be a jerk to me and that's just peachy 'cause "you don't like it." If you really don't like it, you could have considered your post calmly and phrased it in a way where you didn't come off as you did.

I don't want ill will between us. I don't want to argue. I don't like to fight. I just don't like it when people say something I believe to be either wrong or misinformed, while I have the chance to speak up. Or maybe I just like attention, but I don't ever want to say something just for attention's sake... I just want to help... It's a kinda weird sentiment to justify myself, but still... It's it. I just want to help.
Last edited by Sapphire on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I would have hoped to say something meaninful, or possible inciteful. But, alas.
How goes the world today? From right to left or left to right? Perhaps it runs round mad reels, turning in on itself only at long last to blow away with the leaves and gutter-trash.
How goes the world today? Top to Bottom or Bottom to Top? Perhaps it will rise high enough so that it may see the back of its own head, in a maddening tunnel of infinity.
How goes the world today? Clockwise or Counter? Perhaps it will spin itself mad, curling a spring-from into endlessness.
Or maybe, today, it will just stop.
Sapphire
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:41 pm

See Sapphire? You're learning.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby RHJunior on Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:48 pm

Whose comic and whose forums again?
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Return to NPC