Go back to sleep

Postby MikeVanPelt on Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:46 pm

Wanderwolf wrote:Minor things:

1. Lux can't be "beamed"; it's radiant power, emanating from its source. That's why the Luxworks in Sanctuary City is so important; given enough time and space to expand, all the Lux generated would settle down to "background radiation" levels.

2. Quentyn known how to make a basic Lux generator, as he showed in his battle against the Royals. But it needs a number of hours to charge, and discharges like a Leyden jar: ZAP! All at once.

1. I thought the "ley lines" were a lux beam.

2. That wasn't a generator. It was a capacitor. He hid it under the lux font for it to charge up for a couple of days. It didn't generate its own lux. (Seems to me he ought to have brought a few fully-charged copies of that gizmo, though. Maybe he can make a few, but it'll take ages for them to charge here.)
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:33 am

It could be that the farmer (strange that Quentyn seems to know only Marsha by name) will go to betray him but either change his mind at the last minute or regret it as soon as it's done. I do not think that the last we'll hear of him or his wife will be on a sour note.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:32 pm

MikeVanPelt wrote:1. I thought the "ley lines" were a lux beam.

2. That wasn't a generator. It was a capacitor. He hid it under the lux font for it to charge up for a couple of days. It didn't generate its own lux. (Seems to me he ought to have brought a few fully-charged copies of that gizmo, though. Maybe he can make a few, but it'll take ages for them to charge here.)

2. Checked the strip in question; mea culpa. Thanks for the correction.

1. <shrug> Pardon. I'm operating in my last hours of wakefulness before bed here. Any references to help me out?

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:30 am

It's called the Luxfont for a reason. As in fountain? :roll: Anyway, let's see if I can pull some facts out of my sleep-fogged mind...

IIRC, think of lux as a bit like water. It gathers in some places and "flows" towards others in "rivers" or "streams". A bit like how electricity travels the path of least resistence. The Luxfont acts as a man-made (Rac Conan made?) spring of sorts, artificially saturating the environment with lux, with leylines naturally forming to spread to the far corners of it. That's why the luftships can hook onto them for travel. It's pretty much the equivilent of sailing up and downstream, except you're using lux and not water for motion. You also don't have to use sails to go "upstream" since you can just reverse the polarity.

I think that's about how it works. Anyone with better knowledge (i.e. Ralph) can correct me on whatever points I missed.

Now if ya don't mind, I'm heading for bed.
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aurrin on Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:15 am

That also suggest that it is potentially beamable, even if it is not currently known how. If we go even further and assume a carrier or messenger particle as known/speculated with all other known forces, then beaming is just a question of finding the right way to manipulate it. Mind you, other practical concerns may get in the way, such as air absorption or the like.
Conquering the Universe, one class at a time...
Aurrin
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to NPC