tarry another day 11/20

tarry another day 11/20

Postby Shyal_malkes on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:34 am

well, a little shake up but it seems to have gone over well, and the family seems closer to viewing quentyn as he may want to be viewed (I hope)

here's hoping he doesn't make a big spectacle of himself or something
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tom Mazanec on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:04 am

Well, he showed that he is not some Mighty Magical Marvel who could hurl mountains. He dropped some rolls, after all. Maybe the family will be less afraid of him now that he is seen as fallible.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:24 pm

The question is, when they see just how little danger he poses, will they cease to be generous to him? Well, if the parents want to drive him out, at least he'll have advocates among the children.

So Quentyn's little lux action there would have been a bad move even at home? Boy, that was more foolish than I thought. I wonder if it's also foolish of him to accompany the man to the market, instead of letting him do the asking. The townsfolk probably won't give Quentyn much of a break just because there's a human with him.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:43 pm

This can't go well...
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Werekitty on Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:58 pm

I'm not the only one who's smelling a wee trap, I take it?
"When you want something done, you ask a man. When you want it done quietly and without any fuss, you ask a woman."
-Mercedes Lackey

I am the Werekitty. Here me mew.

Hope springs eternal.
It just doesn't land where you want.
Werekitty
Regular Poster

Postby TMLutas on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:00 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:The question is, when they see just how little danger he poses, will they cease to be generous to him? Well, if the parents want to drive him out, at least he'll have advocates among the children.

So Quentyn's little lux action there would have been a bad move even at home? Boy, that was more foolish than I thought. I wonder if it's also foolish of him to accompany the man to the market, instead of letting him do the asking. The townsfolk probably won't give Quentyn much of a break just because there's a human with him.

Lux powered elfshot may need an awfully long charge time but now it's got power cartridges. I think he's pretty safe from being driven out unless he accedes to it.
TMLutas
Regular Poster

Postby Werekitty on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:08 pm

But he's not going to be driven out. He's going to be sold to a side show, I'll bet.
"When you want something done, you ask a man. When you want it done quietly and without any fuss, you ask a woman."
-Mercedes Lackey

Hope springs eternal.
Werekitty
Regular Poster

Postby Sharuuk on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:09 am

Werekitty wrote:I'm not the only one who's smelling a wee trap, I take it?

My nose doth twitch at the foul stench of impending treachery.

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:54 am

:P You'll all pardon me if I don't immediately jump on the band wagon and assume the "hyooman" farmer is evil. Far as I can tell, he honestly wants to help Quentyn out.

Think about it. He hasn't seen any earth-shaking "magic", but he has just witnessed levitation. True, not a big deal, as it was only a few rolls, but it confirms the tales of the Rac Cona Daimh.

What has not been confirmed is the tales about them being hideously cruel and easily offended, as the Fey Folk are. So far, Quentyn has been friendly, gracious, and polite. He doesn't act as the tales say he should.

If the farmer is smart, and I get the impression that he is, he knows that Quentyn has "magic" and could do his family harm. He doesn't know how much or what the little guy can do. Yet, he also can tell Quentyn means them no harm.

There's a polite "magical" creature in his house with very good manners and who seems easy going. :roll: Honestly, why would he do anything bad to Quentyn? Even if he was evil, the display of power might be enough to sway the farmer towards avoiding the risk of punishment.

There is much risk and little gain in trapping the Rac Conan. Yet helping him might earn his favor and earn the farmer a good reputation with any future traders.

Trap? Hardly. Me thinks you are all being unfair to the poor farmer with no animals. :P
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:33 am

StrangeWulf13 wrote:There is much risk and little gain in trapping the Rac Conan. Yet helping him might earn his favor and earn the farmer a good reputation with any future traders.

True...no question.

Trap? Hardly. Methinks you are all being unfair to the poor farmer with no animals. :P

Possibly....however he IS 'hyooman' and therefore not to be trusted easily.......especially by a furry anthro.....magical or not.

I doubt seriously that Quentyn will be warmly greeted by some of the other villagers regardless that he's in the company of the farmer......and if Sam goes with them, doubly so.

This proposition has WAAAAAAAY too many negative implications going for it for my comfort.

I'm just concerned that Quentyn's about to learn first hand why Rac's don't wish to have anything to do with humans and consider them natural enemies.

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shyal_malkes on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:15 am

which would temper Quentyn in the long run better?

A) meeting the bad humans first and then mistrusting all of them

B) meeting a good human first and trusting humans enough that he gets into REAL trouble when he meets a bad one later

that there are no animals tells me that something bad has happened to these people and they've already seen something bad in the town, AKA they are in want of a solution, perhaps desperately so. I also think that a farmer usually isn't much of a scheemer and therefore is less likely to set a trap of somekind.

my first idea if I were the farmer and wanted to trick Quentyn would be to go into town and ask about whether the town thinks it can handle a Rac-cona or not, then make a plan on what to do with it from there.

this immediately disolved when I thought that a farmer that feared for his wife and children wouldn't leave them alone so the only other option would be bringing the Rac-cona into town....

...hmmm, I seem to have invertantly given myself good reason to reverse my own opinion of the situation.

maybe the town doesn't know what took the animals and the farmer wants the town to blame quentyn and make him give them their animals back.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:27 am

You know what my first thought about all this is?

My goodness, does Ralph ever have us constantly suspicious!

I see no really good reason to suspect the farmer of wanting to double-cross Quentyn... except for the general sense that in this story, it's really a matter of waiting for when the next disaster (that Q will still come through all rigth) will be introduced. Especially since the whole stolen Wildcard ordeal.

Now I could see the farmer suggesting this in order to be helpful, then them going into town and it turns out the townsfolk don't welcome Q as graciously as this family (yes, out of fear) has. But we'll see.

I still think it's funny how downright paranoid Ralph has us where any situation with Q is concerned. :lol: :wink:

(Note: I do realize that this suspicion is the justified result of a pattern. But that's why I think it would be all the more funny if nothing fishy at all was going on... at least with this particular aspect of the story. :D )[/i]
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Pierce Pettis, Gordon Kennedy
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:28 am

Well, okay, my personal thoughts:

1. The farmer may not begrudge Q any ill-will, and may honestly wish to him him. In such a case:
1a. Quentyn gets a favor, and repays it back in some way
1b. The farmer is pushed by outside forces into turning Q in, and may either do so (out of loyalty to the duke, or fear for his family) or he may pretend to do so but help Q escape.
2. The farmer has ill intentions.

There are so many ways we can go with this from here. It's likely that the farmer and his family will be "caught in forces too big for them to understand, and too big for them too resist."
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tom Mazanec on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:21 pm

Ralph complained about the Human vs. furry stereotype in the Walmart thread. While it is somewhat true in this universe, it would be just like him to pull a switch on us. Besides, a racconnan and halfling against the whole human world is not going to be able to get all those artifacts without help, especially if the racconnan is a magical midget like Quentyn.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Meyer on Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:50 pm

Most farmers I've run into (raised in the country, I was) are honest, hard working, and really care about people.

Granted, they're not in my world...but I kind of think that the task of farming itself lends itself to "recruiting" that sort of folk.

Shifty types will slink to the cities for an easier living.

No need to assume evil is afoot here (from the family that is).

Obviously something's up...with the missing livestock and all...but unless the farmer is convinced his visitors are behind it, they should be safe.

Hospitality used to mean what a handshake used to mean. You didn't (I still don't) grant it unless you mean it.
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author: The Life Is a Road series of motorcycle adventure books
Daniel Meyer
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:00 pm

Sheesh, I'm not even a Trekkie and this "Q" talk has me disturbed.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Wayfarer wrote:My goodness, does Ralph ever have us constantly suspicious!

You shouldn't blame others for your own Paranoia.
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby Werekitty on Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:59 pm

But you are forgetting that this very same farmer wished to turn Quinton in for a reward from the Baron.

After all, he may wish Quinton all the best, but he may be able to curry favor with said Baron, and get some relief from the taxes, and be able to have some farm animals.

After all this may be less about greed, and evil, and more about survival under a despot. After all the farmer may need the extra cash to help his family survive the winter.

There is a cornucopia of concepts, and motivations that we do not know, as yet.

And on a personal note, I can't believe I got through that whole message without misspelling a word... O.O
I even spelled cornucopia right on the first try. Minor achievement for the werekitty.
-Mercedes Lackey

Hope springs eternal.
Werekitty
Regular Poster

Postby Sun tzu on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:57 pm

Er, you did make a couple of mistakes with the protagonist's name...
Sun tzu
Regular Poster

Postby Werekitty on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:58 pm

>.> My spell checker said it was right...
-Mercedes Lackey

Hope springs eternal.
Werekitty
Regular Poster

Next

Return to NPC