Yeek! Pitty lights!

Yeek! Pitty lights!

Postby UncleMonty on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:19 pm

The farmer's wife had almost got over her panic...
And now, levitating sweet-rolls!
Well, bread is supposed to rise, after all.

I wonder where this story's going, with the missing animals? They can't have been gone more than a few months, since there's still fresh hay in the barn. Disease? Monsters? Something more normal - have the local authorities been taxing these people out of even their livestock? That would make sense of the man's comment about a reward from the Baron.
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nikas_Zekeval on Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:53 pm

Random thought that hit me, are those lights normal visible side effects, or the actual lux Quentin is using for the TK 'boarding house reach'? Is little Marsha lux sensative?
"Come on Sam, it can't be as hard as blowing up a star."
"I tell you, blow up one star and suddenly everyone thinks you can walk on water."
*Beepboop* [connection established]
"Okay. Up next, parting the Red Sea."
Gen. Jacob Carter and Lt. Col. Samatha Carter, Stargate SG-1, "Reckoning"
Nikas_Zekeval
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:03 pm

Nikas_Zekeval wrote:Random thought that hit me, are those lights normal visible side effects, or the actual lux Quentin is using for the TK 'boarding house reach'? Is little Marsha lux sensative?

I had that same thought, and asked RH about it. He said that the lux-lights have both a visible-spectrum and lux-spectrum component, and if we see something only visible to lux, then we'd be told that in the comic. Anyway, it was a good idea... and might still be true, tho not for that reason.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Re: Yeek! Pitty lights!

Postby Luna_Northcat on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:55 pm

UncleMonty wrote:...

Ooooo, hissssss. Bad pun. Bad, bad pun. No cookie for you. XD
<i>Forte est vinu. Fortier est rex. Fortiores sunt mulieres: sup om vincit veritas.</i>
Luna_Northcat
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:39 pm

(cue Hammy voice) But I love da cookie... :cry:
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Catherine_Puce on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:32 am

*throws ninja's star shaped cookies to everyone in the topic*

Guy's the only time that you should rise in the air is when there are a food fight. Now eat your cookies and stop cheers Quentyn. He must learn to not do it anymore.

Il va épuiser toutes ces réserves de lux et va avoir des problèmes.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Postby Tom Mazanec on Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:20 am

I read somewhere that, as a percentage of our wealth, we are actually taxed MORE than a Medieval peasant. Probably the reason we stand it is because first, we are a lot wealthier than that Medieval peasnt, and second, we are still a republic and so have SOME say in how our taxes are spent.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby UncleMonty on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:55 pm

Tom Mazanec wrote:I read somewhere that, as a percentage of our wealth, we are actually taxed MORE than a Medieval peasant. Probably the reason we stand it is because first, we are a lot wealthier than that Medieval peasnt, and second, we are still a republic and so have SOME say in how our taxes are spent.

Eh, possibly... But not really relevent to the thread. I know it's silly, but I was hoping we could have at least one on-topic thread in this forum. Just for the sake of appearances.
I agree that Quentyn needs to be careful with his use of lux, even if only to keep as large an internal reserve as his black-band self can carry - for emergencies.
On the other hand, an occasional small display might help his case, too.
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tom Mazanec on Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:58 pm

I was referring to the idea that all the livestock had been taxed by the local lord in the original post on the thread.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Catherine_Puce on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:20 pm

Even a duke is probably not stupid enough to take all the livestock. It's better to take a little at time, to be sure that the farmer who work hard can rebuild learn farm-prodce. It's a little how we make quota of fishing to be sure that they can reproduce and be still as numerous in the future years.

Un bon noble est un gestionnaire qui sait comment exploiter ces sujets.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:35 pm

Catherine_Puce wrote:Even a duke is probably not stupid enough to take all the livestock. It's better to take a little at time, to be sure that the farmer who work hard can rebuild learn farm-prodce.

Never underestimate the power of Stupidity.
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby Luna_Northcat on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:04 am

Well, I think capnregex has it right, but still -- I'd be more inclined to suspect bandits than local nobility.
<i>Forte est vinu. Fortier est rex. Fortiores sunt mulieres: sup om vincit veritas.</i>
Luna_Northcat
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:08 am

capnregex wrote:
Catherine_Puce wrote:Even a duke is probably not stupid enough to take all the livestock. It's better to take a little at time, to be sure that the farmer who work hard can rebuild learn farm-prodce.

Never underestimate the power of Stupidity.

True enough. Remember, though, that this is a feudal era. In most feudal models, you can only keep the land your peasants can work; a terrific incentive for getting them the best tools.

Be interesting to see if this feudal society buys into the "big lie" of our own feudal era; that the nobility truly (and literally) are a "breed apart". In its day, the theory ran that only the nobility were truly meant to read, write and cipher; a peasant, of peasant stock, had no chance. (Like most big lies, it was self-protecting; if a peasant could read and write, it meant a nobleman had slept with one of his female antecedents.) Conversely, only peasants were "meant to" run farms; noblemen were completely unsuited to it.

Yours truly,

The historical,

Wanderer

Heck, even the blood was said to be special; that's where "blue blooded" comes from.
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Catherine_Puce on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:57 am

Wanderwolf wrote:True enough. Remember, though, that this is a feudal era. In most feudal models, you can only keep the land your peasants can work; a terrific incentive for getting them the best tools.

Be interesting to see if this feudal society buys into the "big lie" of our own feudal era; that the nobility truly (and literally) are a "breed apart". In its day, the theory ran that only the nobility were truly meant to read, write and cipher; a peasant, of peasant stock, had no chance. (Like most big lies, it was self-protecting; if a peasant could read and write, it meant a nobleman had slept with one of his female antecedents.) Conversely, only peasants were "meant to" run farms; noblemen were completely unsuited to it.

Yours truly,

The historical,

Wanderer

Heck, even the blood was said to be special; that's where "blue blooded" comes from.

From what I learn, it was more that a nobleman could keep the land that he could defend of the greed of the other noblemans. So you can own huge unused territories (not counting the fallow fields, rotation of cultivated field was common at this epoch, soil become infertile fast if you always cultivate it) as long your noble next to you are terrorized enough by your military power to not take your land or thing that this doesn't work the effort (think rocky barren filled with exhausted mine, you can grow sheep on it but it's all.)

And for the blue blooded it was a reality. There was so much inbreeding among the noble familly that genetic sickness started to be common. At the end of the feudal period, most noblemans was cursed of familly illness.

Avoir un bassin génétique large est plus qu'un détail.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Re: Yeek! Pitty lights!

Postby Detrius on Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:30 am

Luna_Northcat wrote:
UncleMonty wrote:...

Ooooo, hissssss. Bad pun. Bad, bad pun. No cookie for you. XD

You don't know bad, bad puns unless you're a regular reader of Dominic Deegan, Oracle for Hire, the webcomic for verbal masochists.
Secularism: keeping politics out of religion.
Detrius
Regular Poster

Postby Catherine_Puce on Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:30 am

I read it since years and I have not problem to see Dominic beated up. It's karma. When you do that much bad pun, you beg that a lord Siegfried Gunther Aern Damaske Von Callan enters in your life and punish you. And for some reasons, I'm almost sure that he'll come back again.

Il n'est pas le genre à arrêter juste parce qu'il est en enfer.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:26 am

I dunno. I remember reading in one of my government school issued history books that the French once had nobles who passed ridiculously high taxes. One tale was apparently about a man who owned nothing and owed a couple nobles several livestock in taxes.

:o This is about the time you realize you voted for the wrong party...
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby MikeVanPelt on Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:52 am

Catherine_Puce wrote:And for the blue blooded it was a reality. There was so much inbreeding among the noble familly that genetic sickness started to be common. At the end of the feudal period, most noblemans was cursed of familly illness.

As Londo Molari said, "When the family tree becomes a familly bush, you can't hide as much under it."
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:05 am

MikeVanPelt wrote:As Londo Molari said, "When the family tree becomes a familly bush, you can't hide as much under it."

I more particularly like his quote, "See the great Centauri Republic, open nine to five, Earth time..." Funny, sad quote.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby TMLutas on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:35 pm

Catherine_Puce wrote:I read it since years and I have not problem to see Dominic beated up. It's karma. When you do that much bad pun, you beg that a lord Siegfried Gunther Aern Damaske Von Callan enters in your life and punish you. And for some reasons, I'm almost sure that he'll come back again.

Il n'est pas le genre à arrêter juste parce qu'il est en enfer.

S.P.P.

You might want to catch up. Gunther's... had some recent life changes
TMLutas
Regular Poster

Next

Return to NPC