Along for the ride....

Postby Anthony Lion on Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:29 am

I must agree with the kitten earlier; whatever you do, as long as you ENJOY doing it is OK with me. (Well.. as long as you don't put ToTQ on hiatus... Then I'll rip you a new one... )

The net is just about full of comics where the author has lost the joy of writing/drawing, and is now just churning out a stale rehash of its former glory.
Don't EVER dare to do that to your comics.

BTW: One way to increase sales is to include unique art in the books...
(I'll buy them anyhow, but knowing that there's some previously unseen goodies in there... )
My name is Lion, Anthony Lion.
A fur with a license to purr
Anthony Lion
Regular Poster

Postby Tom Mazanec on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:46 am

That would convince ME to buy a book!
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:04 pm

RHJunior wrote:*snort* More I'd say Ben behaved exactly as a real person would--- less than perfect. He was snarky, he was sarcastic, he dropped a cardboard house on her. (Okay, not what one would call a NORMAL situation, that....)

I'm glad to be reassured that you recognize his behavior there as imperfect, RHJ. Sometimes I've worried.

RHJunior wrote:They may be Christian, but they're also human.

Um, figuratively, yes? They don't look quite like Homo sapiens to me, aside from some of the newer appearances in TotQ....

Regarding "Hard Onions," I'm guessing that the title is supposed to evoke angst. You draw yourself looking rather young, but I'm starting to think that that's common for cartoonists. (The best humorists are young at heart, IMO.)

I have mixed feelings about overt spiritual themes in entertainment. In 12th grade, I read Lord of the Rings to the end without ever seeing a connection with spirituality. It seemed largely unhelpful as a guide until I grew interested in the faith via other influences. On the other hand, "B.C." usually does not endear itself to me when it gets preachy, which may have to do with the lack of humility. There's also Johnny Hart's tendency nearly to forgo a joke in the process.

J.K. Rowling said in an interview that few writers can make a good novel when they set out with a particular point in mind. But it may be easier for shorter stories like a typical comic arc. Hey, Aesop's fables are short and classic.

Given my laziness, I cannot say whether I will fulfill my own wish to start a regular webcomic, but if I do, it will be interesting for me to see what I do for the spiritual side. There will have to be one, certainly.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Tom Mazanec on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:03 am

Deckard Canine wrote:Regarding "Hard Onions," I'm guessing that the title is supposed to evoke angst. You draw yourself looking rather young, but I'm starting to think that that's common for cartoonists. (The best humorists are young at heart, IMO.)

Wikipedia says Ralph was born in 1971.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:37 pm

Really? So was I.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Previous

Return to NPC