October 28: A warn-out welcome

October 28: A warn-out welcome

Postby Madmoonie on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:34 am

Is it me or does Quentyn seems a wee shorter than usual? Anyway, love the kid. 'Um....hello?' Classic. And does it look a bit like he is emerging from inside the straw? It has been mentioned before but stil, Quentyn even said it himself that is going to have eventually confront some people face to fuzzy face. Still a good comic.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:45 am

Now, they'd better get the bleep outta there...
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rangers on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:02 pm

But at least we know their reaction when they woke up. I can't pronounce it, but I know it. Basically.
Join the adventure at http://rangers.keenspace.com
Licensed Online Comic Macquettes - get 'em at http://www.ntoonz.com
Rangers
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:19 pm

what if the mama doesn't believe the kid? or what if the kid doesn't even know what Quentyn is?

there are a few ways Ralph could take this.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jaydub on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:20 pm

I like the kids big eyes. They are huge!!! it's like they are saying "What the heck is that?" And then the strange creature says "Um, Hello" and zip, he's gone.... :o :D :lol:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby Earl McClaw on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:29 pm

One of the more surprising would be if the family welcomed him.

Hey, the last Questor came through the area. Maybe he helped out and the village remembers?
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby UncleMonty on Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:38 pm

As the night grew colder, it would have been a natural instinct to burrow deeper into the hay and pull it over themselves. I was half expecting them to do that right away, but then I realized the comic would have looked odd. A pile of hay... No characters...
Some of the readers might suppose Quentyn and Sam had left the barn and would be guessing where they'd gone. The rest would be tossing alternate theories around.
The paperback-romance-novel types who might visit this forum might imagine... I won't even go there.
:P
The next few comics though... I can't wait to see how this encounter goes. Sooner or later Quentyn's going to have to find someone he can talk with besides Sam. I can't guess how Ralph's going to play this.
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby MikeVanPelt on Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:13 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:One of the more surprising would be if the family welcomed him.

I was just thinking that about now is the time to run into some nice, non-belligerent humans.
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby TMLutas on Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:18 pm

MikeVanPelt wrote:
Earl McClaw wrote:One of the more surprising would be if the family welcomed him.

I was just thinking that about now is the time to run into some nice, non-belligerent humans.

Yes, nice, non-belligerant humans *who just got conned*. I don't think so. The first question is what happened to the pilgrim?
TMLutas
Regular Poster

meow?

Postby Squirrelly61104 on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:37 am

Hey, Ma!
We're gonna need a bigger cat!
:o :o :o
You can fool some of the people all of the time
And all of the people some of the time
But you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Squirrelly61104
Regular Poster

Postby Zobeid on Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:41 am

The pilgrim disguise didn't make sense to me. If they were planning to run as soon as they were discovered anyhow, then why not sneak into the barn? Why announce their presence at all?

Anyhow. . . It's easy to see where this is going. If ever there was an opportune moment for Quentin to make peaceful contact with the humans, this is it. There's not a lot of people around. Quentin grew up on a farm, so he ought to be right at home with these folk if he can just break the ice.

I live in a part of Texas that was settled by German immigrants. So when I see that women in the last panel, I can just imagine her grabbing them and dragging them into her kitchen, and not letting them leave until they've had their fill of wurst, sauerkraut, rye bread and sweet potatoes. :lol:

If Quentin can't make friends with these people, it really bodes ill for the remainder of his mission.
Zobeid
Regular Poster

Postby Tom Mazanec on Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:52 am

Maybe if the first Quentyn did something good, the family will forgive him. After all, a halfling and a racconnan would have good reason to be leery of announcing their presence. And the fact that they DID announce their presence (even in disguise) rather than just plain trespassing, may count in their favor, if they can just get over the hump. They are going to have to interact with humans eventually, even if they wanted to steal the artifacts (which Q will never allow) they still have to find out where they are. This is as good a chance as any.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:58 am

Zobeid wrote:The pilgrim disguise didn't make sense to me. If they were planning to run as soon as they were discovered anyhow, then why not sneak into the barn? Why announce their presence at all?

They were hoping to leave as a pilgrim just as they'd come. Quentyn was simply not awake enough to realize the danger of heading for the door.

I don't think he looks shorter than usual. I mean, he estimates Sam to be about half the height of an adult human, and look how he compares to her. He is supposed to be a runt among runts.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:43 am

Zobeid wrote:The pilgrim disguise didn't make sense to me. If they were planning to run as soon as they were discovered anyhow, then why not sneak into the barn? Why announce their presence at all?

Anyhow. . . It's easy to see where this is going. If ever there was an opportune moment for Quentin to make peaceful contact with the humans, this is it. There's not a lot of people around. Quentin grew up on a farm, so he ought to be right at home with these folk if he can just break the ice.

I live in a part of Texas that was settled by German immigrants. So when I see that women in the last panel, I can just imagine her grabbing them and dragging them into her kitchen, and not letting them leave until they've had their fill of wurst, sauerkraut, rye bread and sweet potatoes. :lol:

If Quentin can't make friends with these people, it really bodes ill for the remainder of his mission.

New Braunsfels?
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Catherine_Puce on Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:23 am

We talk of a little familly of peons. They aren't warriors and there are chance that rumors of the Quentyn's fight in the previous village reach them. From what I guess they could do what smart camper usualy do when when a bear look at the leftover of their previous meal. They will stay hidden in their tent ( or home for the familly) and wish that the threat go away. I don't see the father grab his fork and go fight a dangerous magical creature alone. Wait or call help for the others villagers seem more logic. Humans are famous to be more brave when in mob.

Le problèmes c'est que les foules ne pensent pas, elles réagissent.

S.P.P.
Catherine_Puce
Regular Poster

Postby Zobeid on Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:51 pm

New Braunsfels?

You're off by about 150 miles. Hamilton Texas is halfway between Waco and Brownwood. (Or some might say, about the middle of nowhere.)
Zobeid
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:22 pm

Zobeid wrote:
New Braunsfels?

You're off by about 150 miles. Hamilton Texas is halfway between Waco and Brownwood. (Or some might say, about the middle of nowhere.)

(shrugs) Whats 150 miles here or there?
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:35 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:
They were hoping to leave as a pilgrim just as they'd come. Quentyn was simply not awake enough to realize the danger of heading for the door.

If they can get back in costume quick enough, they might still pull it off. After all, "boys have imaginations". ("It was just a raccoon, boy.")

Their biggest problem might be the daylight. That disguise might not hold up.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Adventurers

Postby Squirrelly61104 on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:46 pm

Boy: Hey, Ma! We got adventurers in the barn!
Woman: Again?!? Your pa just sprayed for 'em last week! I swear, we need to put up screens or something. What is it this time? Paladins?
Boy: Judging from the hat, I think a ranger and a halfling.
Woman: Well they better not have any rings on them, otherwise we could be looking at a nasty lawsuit. :x
You can fool some of the people all of the time
And all of the people some of the time
But you can't fool all of the people all of the time.
Squirrelly61104
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 am

Earl McClaw wrote:("It was just a raccoon, boy.")

I rather assumed that this world has no nonsapient raccoons. Not counting the brain-damaged ones.

To Squirrelly: XD
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Next

Return to NPC