The Rocket Truck

The Rocket Truck

Postby Aurrin on Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:05 am

The new hotness:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9052&hl=en

It's like the batmobile, but it's real.

=^.^=

I got to attend that particular test firing. It was awesome!
Conquering the Universe, one class at a time...
Aurrin
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:00 am

If Gotham city were in Mississippi...
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Anthony Lion on Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:55 am

That looked... wimpy....

Now, stuffing a 1350BHP Jet Engine into a Beetle, though...

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech ... -vw-beetle

and still make it street-legal...

Edit: The truck, though, looks like something that might show up in Nip&tuck...
My name is Lion, Anthony Lion.
A fur with a license to purr
Anthony Lion
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:22 pm

It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:28 pm

Only you people would consider stuffing a jet engine into a truck 'tame.' :D :P :D
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:07 am

Madmoonie wrote:Only you people would consider stuffing a jet engine into a truck 'tame.' :D :P :D

What? You mean it isn't? :D
"Heh, sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get an intelligent conversation..."--Tbolt
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"--Edgar Allen Poe
"I just had an argument with myself, so now we're not talking."--me
"We are the salt of the earth, not the powdered sugar."--R.H. Jr.
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby SolidusRaccoon on Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:54 am

Bah, give me a JATO engine any day.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:21 am

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Bah, give me a JATO engine any day.
No way. Not giving you a JATO engine. Or any other sort of engine. On ANY day of the week. You're tricky. I would not want to know what you would do it with it either, even if I did give you one.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:45 pm

The only problem there, and it's a BIG one.....once you turn it on.....you can't turn it off 'till it runs outta fuel. Now a throttlable, re-startable LIQUID FUEL rocket engine........NOW we got sumpin' t' play with!!! :twisted:

*looks inside large cardboard box*

Ahhh...perfect.....now let's see.....wheels, seat, steering system, drag chute......

Ya with me on this li'l project Sol? :D

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Re: The Rocket Truck

Postby Sharuuk on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:54 pm

Aurrin wrote:The new hotness:

=^.^=

Hey Aurrin.....

Good to see you again. :D

Man would I have loved to have been there with you......very cool. What was the static thrust output for that short burn? And when does he expect to run it down the track?

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby LoneWolf23k on Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:39 am

Madmoonie wrote:Only you people would consider stuffing a jet engine into a truck 'tame.' :D :P :D

The Mythbusters already tried out a rocket-powered car, and actually made it run...
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:14 am

Sharuuk wrote:

The only problem there, and it's a BIG one.....once you turn it on.....you can't turn it off 'till it runs outta fuel. Now a throttlable, re-startable LIQUID FUEL rocket engine........NOW we got sumpin' t' play with!!! :twisted:

*looks inside large cardboard box*

Ahhh...perfect.....now let's see.....wheels, seat, steering system, drag chute......

Ya with me on this li'l project Sol? :D

Şaaruuk

Well, its what my boss does for a 'hobby.' Minus the box, of course, and plus a long fiberglass frame.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:22 am

Who's your boss....Ky Michaelson? Met the man some years ago......TRUELY my kinda maniac. :twisted:

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:38 am

Oh my friend....not just 'tame'....NORMAL!!! :twisted:

And the rocket car the Mythbusters put together was done all wrong. If they had mounted the engines along the centerline in a diamond cluster instead of stacked and located the cluster down near the rear bumper in the trunk.....properly braced and supported of course, I think they would have gotten considerably higher speed.

As it was, the thrust line was way above the center of gravity of the car and the mounts acted as a lever to force the front of the car down creating more frictional drag from the front wheels rather than pushing the car straight foreward if they had been mounted in the trunk......as the original urban legend stated.

I just thought the way they went about it was all wrong.

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Re: The Rocket Truck

Postby Aurrin on Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:30 am

Sharuuk wrote:
Aurrin wrote:The new hotness:

=^.^=

Hey Aurrin.....

Good to see you again. :D

Man would I have loved to have been there with you......very cool. What was the static thrust output for that short burn? And when does he expect to run it down the track?

Şaaruuk

Good to see you again as well. Static thrust is about 2700lb max, give or take. As for the plans, I've heard that they want to run it at the X-Prize Cup next year (it just wasn't ready in time this year). Though... I have a feeling they'll test it out first.
Conquering the Universe, one class at a time...
Aurrin
Regular Poster

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:14 am

Given the relatively short burn duration, and assuming the truck is fully functional.....I would think a running start up to say 40-60mph prior to lightin' the fuse would be in order to optimize the rocket's thrust.

2700Lb thrust give or take for only a few seconds from a dead start won't overcome the static inertia of the truck quickly enough to deliver very much of a top end at the end of the burn.....or does this guy have another, longer burning engine on hand or in the works for the actual run?

Either way....I STILL wish I'd been there with you.....that would have been fun to watch.

Envious eyes on this end dude.. 8-) :wink:

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:16 am

Sharuuk wrote:Who's your boss....Ky Michaelson? Met the man some years ago......TRUELY my kinda maniac. :twisted:

Şaaruuk

Nope, he's a guy by the name of Tom Hanna. He builds dragsters. Uh....really fast ones. And cool looking. They're neat.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:58 pm

However if you want to see truely excessive insanity.....aannnnnnd more of MY KINDA people.....check out Les and Kent Shockly's "Shockwave" TRIPLE JET ENGINE POWERED TRUCK!!! :o

http://shockwavejets.com/shockwave.cfm
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:00 pm

Madmoonie wrote:Nope, he's a guy by the name of Tom Hanna. He builds dragsters. Uh....really fast ones. And cool looking. They're neat.

Cool....got any pix of his cars? Love to see 'em if ya do!! :D

Şaaruuk
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Sharuuk wrote:
Madmoonie wrote:Nope, he's a guy by the name of Tom Hanna. He builds dragsters. Uh....really fast ones. And cool looking. They're neat.

Cool....got any pix of his cars? Love to see 'em if ya do!! :D

Şaaruuk

Heh....I got TONS. Its my job see? Archiving literaly THOUSANDS of pics of his cars. I'll see what I can do.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to NPC