Halloween Party

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:17 am

*Sigh*

Ok, I guess the only way to be *weird* in this group is to act normally. *Disappears back into the backroom and emerges in normal clothing - black jeans and red flannel shirt, plus a Tilley hat. Re-emerges to the party.* There. Now at least I won't pass out from wearing all that armor, even if it is SCA-approved.

"Are any of the Boxen up for a game of Halo?"
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:05 am

BrockthePaine wrote:"Are any of the Boxen up for a game of Halo?"

At least a few of the boxen seem to hear. About five of the smaller of them bounce over to Brock, then one after another give an even greater bounce up to the rim of his hat. Once there, they proceed to bounce around the rim in a circle. At the sight, Meline giggles. Come, now, you can't expect them to know computer... video... what kind of game is that again? Hmmm - I guess you can't expect me to know, either.

Meanwhile, another of the boxen had apparently decided that it was also tired of the juggle-fountain game. It left the group and started out towards Wayfarer, then, after a pause, changed directions slightly to end up at Bandit's feet, instead. It bounced in place there for a moment, as though hesitating. Then with a huge bounce of its own, it landed on Bandit's shoulder. From there, it bounced over his head to the other shoulder. Then it bounced from shoulder to head to shoulder, and then back again, varying the pattern at random.

It took a moment before Wayfarer, who had been alternating her watching of the boxen with looking around the room, noticed this new game. "It looks like you've made a new friend," She grinned amusedly. "If it's bothering you, though, I can tell it to stop." Then she paused a moment, thinking. "By the way, I don't believe I know your name. I probably shouldn't ask, because this way I have an excuse for not knowing - I never can remember names, you see - but... well, you do know my name."
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Pierce Pettis, Gordon Kennedy
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Doink on Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:56 pm

(This post was accidentally deleted by me. Whoops. Anyhoo, Lacre gets the twins down and offers to teach Meline and the boxen how to play Halo)
Last edited by Doink on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.

"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner

"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:43 pm

Wayfarer wrote:Meanwhile, another of the boxen had apparently decided that it was also tired of the juggle-fountain game. It left the group and started out towards Wayfarer, then, after a pause, changed directions slightly to end up at Bandit's feet, instead. It bounced in place there for a moment, as though hesitating. Then with a huge bounce of its own, it landed on Bandit's shoulder. From there, it bounced over his head to the other shoulder. Then it bounced from shoulder to head to shoulder, and then back again, varying the pattern at random.

Bandit notices the boxen at his feet just before it bounces onto his shoulder. He's a bit startled at a living cardboard box bouncing all over him, but it quickly gives way to annoyance, flicking his ears as the thing bounced randomly all over him.

Wayfarer wrote:It took a moment before Wayfarer, who had been alternating her watching of the boxen with looking around the room, noticed this new game. "It looks like you've made a new friend," She grinned amusedly. "If it's bothering you, though, I can tell it to stop." Then she paused a moment, thinking. "By the way, I don't believe I know your name. I probably shouldn't ask, because this way I have an excuse for not knowing - I never can remember names, you see - but... well, you do know my name."

"Oh, it's... fine. Really." The expression on his face indicated he was lying through his teeth. He really didn't want to offend her, but the thing was trying his patience. "Then again, if you could get it to stop bouncing..."

He sighed as the thing decided to see how many different acrobatic moves it could pull off over his head. "Well, anyway... my name's Bandit. Just Bandit. Glad to have met you."

Her boxes, on the other hand, I could've gone all night without meeting. Stop bouncing on my head!
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:22 pm

Ok, sorry for the delay folks, let's see i I can get things a bit more on track...

Thank you Lacre for getting the twins down =^^;;

“Thank you sir!” The twins say in stereo. “I'm Arissa, and I'm Teria!” they curtsey in order. “Would you like to see our pets?” Their tails pick up and the two grin mischeviously.

Heh, heh, let's do a little classic rock here =^^=

Today's chapter theme will be the Eagles' “Hotel California”

Enjoy! :3

Chapter 5: A Bear in the Details

Trajan belted his way back to the treeline as fast as his legs could carry him. He reached the woods just as the human female emerged from the house. Trajan hunkered down behind some bushes to observe what was happening. He would not be able to remain here long as the sky was beginning to lighten with the first rays of a new dawn. The woman carried a torch and something else. She waved the torch around, looking for the cause of the disturbance.

Trajan kept vigil as the woman proceeded around the house to check the other buildings on her small farm. While he observed, he caught a noise that sent a chill down his spine. He could hear a grunting and sniffing coming from the woods behind him. Apparently, the bear had woken in the cave and was curious to locate its predawn visitor.

Having no desire to be caught between a human and a bear, Trajan activated his travel boots for one quick jump and soon arrived within the relative safety of a tree. He looked toward the farmhouse, the human was out of sight on the other side, oblivious to the approaching danger.

The bear snuffled past Trajan’s tree and continued towards the farm. Trajan watched in silence. The bear made its way to the window beneath which Trajan had stood. It placed its massive forepaws on the outside sill and began to sniff the glass.

Initially, Trajan had felt no guilt at leading the large creature here. He knew well the stories of the wandering times and had no love for humankind. For it was humankind that forced rac-conans to hide behind the mistwall, like criminals, exiled from the rest of the world. It was humankind that necessitated the great swamp as an additional barrier against intruders. It was the great swamp that hid the bandits that took the life of his dear Lamilora. The dark corner of his soul actually hoped that once the bear was done feasting that it would leave some salvageable equipment in the farmhouse.

Then he heard the screams of the children.

Sarah was checking up on the livestock when she heard the sounds that would freeze the blood of any mother. “Mommy! Help! Please!” She charged to the front of the house to confront the largest bear she had ever seen in her life. The monster must have been at least four feet tall at the shoulder.

The bear was starting to get a little confused. First it was woken from its slumber by an intruder within its den. The scent was intriguing, something it had not smelled before, not man, but something that promised to be just as delicious. It followed the trail to the man cave. Here now were two nice tender man cubs right in front of him, but he couldn’t smell them. Something stopped him from just nosing his way into the man cave. He was just getting ready to apply his full weight on the problem when the human female came into sight.

Another option presented itself to the big omnivore, the adult female human was a rare delicacy indeed. Usually their mates were nearby to protect them, but such was not the case this time. He sniffed the air, this one smelled strangely familiar. The human possessed fire, making her more dangerous, he would have to be careful when he attacked. Finally, something hit it on the flank.

“Kits” Trajan thought. The one thing Lamilora had wanted more than anything. No matter how hard they tried, over seven years of marriage, they were never able have kits of their own. Precious new life, what would Lamilora think if she knew he deliberately ignored the danger these children faced?

Trajan leaped down out of the safety of his tree and began running towards the bear, shouting as he went. The creature ignored him at first, fixated upon the human female. He picked up a stone and threw it at the bear’s hindquarters. It bounced harmlessly off the creature’s thick fur.

“This is going nowhere fast,” he thought to himself after three tries “let’s try this.” He picked up another stone and electrified it with lux. “Hey, wide load!” He yelled and threw the stone. The charged projectile streaked bright yellow from his paw and hit the bear’s rump with a loud pop as it discharged. That got the bear’s attention. “Nice rear!” taunted Trajan “Big and fat, easy to hit!”

Sarah began to feel confused, and perhaps a little relieved. At first the bear came towards her snorting and growling. Then another commotion started off to her left. Someone was yelling at the bear. The voice was strangely high pitched and child like. The accent was different from anything she had ever heard. Without warning, a yellow streak appeared from the left and struck the bear, turning it from her. She peered through the grey early dawn light to see who this unknown person was.

Trajan was actually starting to enjoy this. He had more than a little stress built up and this was a great way to relieve it. He turned his backside to the bear and began to wave his tail in lazy circles. “Whooo! Wouldn’t you like a bite of this juicy tail? You’re so slow and fat, why I bet you couldn’t even kill time if you tried!”

“What is this insane person talking about?” thought Sarah

It is a fairly accepted fact that in that country that bears, and most other animals for that matter, do not speak. Nor do they have any comprehension of any spoken tongue. Yet for some reason Trajan’s display seemed to strike a chord within the large predator. For no sooner had he begun to taunt it on its slowness than it took off like a rocket towards the surprised rac. Fortunately, taunting the bear with his backside ensured that his front side was pointed in the appropriate direction for fleeing.

“Uh, oh” was all Trajan could say as the giant omnivore charged. “No problem, I’ll just kick in the old journey boots, and...” Fzzzt... nothing happened. Apparently, the footgear had been drained from his prior misadventures and were unable to recharge this far from the lux-font.

“Fewmets, fewmets, fewmets, fewmets!” thought Trajan as he ran. The rac-conan pumped his legs as hard as he could and he barely had time to scramble into the first tree he reached before the bear was upon him. Claws scrabbled against bark as both predator and prey tried to ascend the tree. Trajan snatched his tail from the jaws of doom just in the nick of time. The bear reared up upon its hind legs and began to test the tree with its weight, to either climb, shake, or knock down. A levin bolt to the paw discouraged the bear from further experimentation on that part. However, it was not about to give up either. With a snort that said “well, I can be a jerk too” it sat at the base of the tree to wait Trajan out.
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:56 am

Doink wrote:Hmm? *sets the twins down and joins the boxen and Meline* Not familiar with Halo, eh? Would you like me to teach you? *smiles*

"Well," Meline replies, "I'm not sure that right now is a good time. If the boxen keep darting off like this, Wayfarer's going to need my help keeping an eye on them. But you could tell me about the idea of it. I'm not even sure of that."

StrangeWulf13 wrote:"Oh, it's... fine. Really." The expression on his face indicated he was lying through his teeth. He really didn't want to offend her, but the thing was trying his patience. "Then again, if you could get it to stop bouncing..."

He sighed as the thing decided to see how many different acrobatic moves it could pull off over his head. "Well, anyway... my name's Bandit. Just Bandit. Glad to have met you."

Wayfarer can tell that Bandit is getting irritated. "Well, it's good to know your name," she answers. "As I said, I'm really bad about forgetting names, but I'll try to remember.

"As for the boxen, the only times I've ever seen them sit still have been when they were sleeping. But hold on just a second..." she has her eyes on the boxen as she says this, and the next time it bounces close to her, she catches it out of the air.

"Okay, little one," she says, holding it in front of her face, "you need to stop that now. It's buggin' him. Here, bounce on me instead." With those words, she sets the boxen on her own head, where it immediately begins bouncing once again.

"Sorry about that," she says, turning back to Bandit and smiling apologetically. "That's actually their way of trying to make friends - you know, sort of like a pet dog jumping up on people and licking them. But I know both can get rather annoying."
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:19 pm

Bandit sighs with relief while Wayfarer scolds the box. No one told me there'd be living cardboard at this party. Hope that Solidus guy doesn't show up... He smiled at her explanation and nodded. "It's all right. So long as they don't do it too often. Or too long."

His eyes slink over to the buffet table and then look back to her. "If you'll pardon me, m'lady, this old sailor needs some grub. I'll be over there if you need me." With that, he bowed and made his way over to the food. Hmm... there's the mouse and weasel... and if my eyes don't deceive me, one can change size... hope I can manage a distraction...

"Hello there. I see you brought the spicy food. Mind telling me what's in it?" It was a fair question. No need to go burning his tongue off after snitching a bit of food. Now, if he could just manage to do it without being seen...
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:33 am

Hmmm, it looks like the 'mallows and Claxxyl the Soapdish have completed their ceremony, as I now see a Marshmallow peep slowly melting into the grill...

* sniff *

Ahh, nothing like the scent of cooking meat and burnt confectionaries! =^^=

Alright, I may regret this, but I'll go back to Wierd Al for Chapter 6's theme... =^^;;

Trigger Happy
by "Weird Al" Yankovic

Got an AK-47, well you know it makes me feel alright
Got an Uzi by my pillow, helps me sleep a little better at night
There's no feeling any greater
Than to shoot first and ask questions later
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Well, you can't take my guns away, I got a constitutional right
Yeah, I gotta be ready if the Commies attack us tonight
I'll blow their brains out with my Smith and Wesson
That ought to teach them all a darn good lesson
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

(Oh yeah, I'm)trigger, trigger happy
Yes I'm trigger, trigger happy
(Oh baby, I'm)trigger, trigger happy
(Oh I'm so)trigger, trigger happy
Better watch out, punk, or I'm gonna have to blow you away

Oh, I accidently shot daddy last night in the den
I mistook him in the dark for a drug-crazed Nazi again
Now why'd you have to get so mad?
It was just a lousy flesh wound, Dad
You know, I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Oh, I still haven't figured out the safety on my rifle yet
Little Fluffy took a round, better take him to the vet
I filled that kitty cat so full of lead
We'll have to use him for a pencil instead
Well, I'm so trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Come on and grab your ammo
What have you got to lose?
We'll all get liquored up
And shoot at anything that moves

Got a brand new semi-automatic weapon with a laser sight
Oh, I'm prayin' somebody tries to break in here tonight
I always keep a Magnum in my trunk
You better ask yourself, do you feel lucky, punk?
Because I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Chapter 6: Don’t Try this at Home...

Maternal instincts still proved top priority in Sarah’s mind. Once the bear was diverted she bolted into her house to comfort her terrified children. Whomever, or whatever had distracted the bear had her gratitude, but the safety of her children took top priority. In short order the door was locked and bolted and Sarah had her precious charges in her arms.

“What’s gonna happen to us?”

“I don’t wanna get eaten!”

“Shhh, dears, it’s all right, someone called the bear away he won’t bother us again.” Sarah kissed each child on the forehead. “I hope!” she prayed.

The dim predawn light gave way to the brilliant rays of a clear blue morning. Trajan wedged himself between two branches trying to figure out exactly what to do. The scent of the big bear permeated the air around him making him feel a little queasy. The cumbersome boomslang strapped to his back made it next to impossible to get into a comfortable position.

“Stupid, heavy thing, I should just... Ohhh, my brains must still be addled” he thought. “Time to do your job, girl.” He unslung the massive firearm and commenced the procedure of loading and priming. The difficulty of the task increased due to the darkness in the tree, so he needed to wait until enough light from the early morning sun filtered through the leaves to allow him to see his work.

The noise and motion in the tree roused the bear’s curiosity and it looked up and sniffed the air in Trajan’s direction.

“The bear is still out there, he has someone up a tree!” Pointed out Thom, excitedly.

Trajan lowered the boomslang’s muzzle. He couldn’t use his firing harness because of tree limbs in the way. It was the most awkward aiming position he had ever taken in his life, his legs were on one branch, his torso draped around another and he could barely grip the boomslang in his paws. He could scarcely get his eye over the barrel, let alone the butt stock in his shoulder. “Come on you overgrown keg of lard I got a nice surprise for you!”

“Look, it’s reaching up into the tree, I can’t watch!” Karen turned away.

“Mommy can’t you go out and help them? They helped us?” pleaded Thom.

The bear stood on its hind legs raising its snout towards the thing that descended from the tree.

“There you go my big stupid friend, take a nice long sniff.”

With a roar like thunder the boomslang lived up to its name and discharged point blank into the bear’s face. Trajan fell backwards out of the tree from the recoil. He landed hard on his back in the leaf litter below. The last thing he saw was the massive firearm sailing down to buttstroke him to the head.

“What was that, thunder?”

“Something fell out of the tree, was it hit by lightening?”

Sarah and her children continued to watch the scene to see if anything further happened.

“The bear isn’t moving, is it dead?”

After several minutes of nothing happening, the boy began to get impatient. “We can’t stay in here forever, mom”

“Just a little while longer, Thom”

“But,..”

“No back talk, young man!” Sara snapped.

The disgruntled youth drew away from the window and crossed the house to the other side. While his mother and sister were still watching the back of the house, he quietly opened another window and slipped outside.

Sarah and Karen were still glued to the window when a third figure came into view. In a moment Sarah’s heart froze when she recognized who it was, a chill draft from the open window behind her confirmed her fears. She tore open the bolt and threw open the door. “Thom, get back here now!”

The little boy ignored his mother and proceeded to the woodline. Sarah ran to catch her wayward son, quickly followed by Karen who refused to be left alone. Thom reached the tree first, spurred by boyish curiosity, and a little raw terror at the impending wrath of mom.

The view of carnage genuinely impressed the little boy and sickened him just a bit. The bear lay on its side facing away from the tree. The boomslang did its work with gruesome efficiency. The round drove red furrow along the top of the bear’s muzzle and took the creature between its eyes making a third “eye” in the middle of its forehead. The gaping exit wound at the back of the bear’s head was even more horrific.

Sarah caught Thom as he stood transfixed by the sight. He did not resist as she turned him away. Karen could not bring herself to look at the bear at all, but was instead fixated on the other body laying at the base of the tree.

“Mom? There’s a furry little man here!” said Karen.

“What?” Sarah had never seen a rac-conan before, but she had heard stories of the magical woodland creatures who cast spells upon unsuspecting villagers.

“Come away from it, Karen, it might be dangerous!”

Karen looked down at the unconscious creature. “But he’s cute!”

Cute!? Sarah looked dubiously at the disheveled bundle of grey fur, clothing, and gear. “He looks downright scruffy and disreputable to me” she thought. The patch over the creature’s right eye gave it a decidedly unsavory flair, she thought.

Now it was Thom’s turn to intervene. “I think he’s hurt... We can’t just leave him here, can we?”

Sarah sighed in exasperation. Superstitions, or no, the little creature had probably saved their lives, so they owed it that much. She looked a little more closely at Trajan. He was indeed injured, his scalp was split and blood matted the fur on his head.

“We will help this creature, Thom, but I want you and Karen to gut and clean this bear. There’s a lot of good meat here and we don’t want it to go to waste. That hide will make a nice warm blanket this winter.”

“But...” the children began to protest.

“No buts about it. This work has to be done. Autumn is here and winter will be upon us sooner than you think. This job won’t wait.”

Sarah lifted Trajan in her arms like he was a large child, taking care to cradle his head. She carried him back to the cabin and laid him down in her bed. She had been heating water for morning cooking, but now it would be used to clean the creature’s wounds.
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:21 am

Odd, from the look of the gun's muzzle, I thought a boomslang was more of a shotgun than a proper rifle.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:43 pm

From the impression that I get, Firearms technology is still fairly nascent in the Rac-Conan daimh with individual pieces being made to the orderer's specifications.

From my knowledge of early firearms, the bell served two actual purposes:
Ease of loading, and a built-in funnel for muzzle loading.

Now assuming Trajan's piece is a smoothbore shotgun, he does have a variety of options as to what to put down the barrel:

First he can load it with multiple projectiles, Like shot, Or he can ram one massive projectile down the bore. In modern terms we call it a "Pumpkin ball" To dispatch the bear, Trajan chose the latter, one solid projectile.

Trajan prides himself on his marksmanship with the boomslang. He prefers a straight barrel design as opposed to the bell design, it allows him to fix sights and improve accuracy at range. To facilitate reloading his powder measure and shot dropper have spouts that fit inside the bore of his boomslang.

Finally, Trajan used to order barrels from his brother-in-law Cahor. The last barrel he ordered, Cahor "sabotaged" by hammering a spiral piece of steel through the bore. "This will put a nice spin on his shots!"

Trajan would have returned the barrel, but Lamilora convinced him otherwise. When Trajan fired single shot out of it, it proved to be the most accurate barrel he'd ever fired. Unfortunately, firing mixed shot damaged the grooves in the barrel, and he no longer has that piece, but he did save a sample of the barrel in the hopes that he can re-create it again himself.

Trajan now has two boomslangs with these improvments:

Big boomer is a rifled monster. It is a rifled breech-loader. He uses fiber cartridges to keep his powder charges consistent and fires beeswax lubricated bullets. To help the pain in his shoulder, he has a muzzle brake attached to the front that absorbs most of the recoil from the massive firearm.

Little Boomer is a smoothbore shotgun. It is only effective at close range, but is quite powerful. The forend of the stock is loaded with lead to weigh it down and minimize felt recoil, so despite being 1/3rd the length of Big Boomer, it still weighs just as much.

Neither piece is a pleasure for the average rac-conan to carry.

This is how picture Trajan, I hop I haven't stripped too far out of the realm of what is possible in the Questorverse! =^^;;
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:26 pm

*shrugs* Well, Halo isn't for everyone. It's a game where you fight aliens with guns in order to save the human race. The game is played with video game controllers- *mimes holding one* -on an Xbox game console. You play in first person, that is, seeing what your character sees, and fire the gun at whatever's in his center of vision.

*looks at Tbolt* Interesting story, sir.
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.

"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner

"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:46 pm

In a dark corner a black mist gathers and becomes solid.
A human hand slips out of the mist and reaches up and pulls back a hood, exposing the head of a rather plain looking irish man with red hair.

The black cloak having become tangible cloth, he throws it back over his shoulders, and steps forward, wearing a coal black shirt, pants and boots as well.

"Greetings, So, where's the stout?" he asks..
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby Wayfarer on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:46 pm

The dark corner the newcomer appears in happens to be a corner somewhat near the wall where Wayfarer is standing watching the boxen. At the sound of the voice, she turns to find its source. "Well, hello," she says with a smile and a greeting nod. "Welcome to the party- Hey, wait! get back here!" The last words, of course, are directed not at the man in the corner, but at the boxen that had bounced off of her head as she was speaking. The little brown cube ignores her, bouncing directly over to the man, then circling him a couple of times. The creature had learned from earlier, though. Without any further mischief it bounces - perhaps a little guiltily - back to Wayfarer, who looks at it a bit sternly as it approaches. Apparently trying to avoid her gaze, it bounces to the back of her, disappearing for a moment behind her the gray folds of her cloak. It soon reappears, however, as it bounces up to land on her shoulder and then back onto her head. There it remains there, giving short little hops and looking very much as though it's trying to prove that it can behave. Wayfarer just grins and shakes her head, then turns back to the newcomer again. "I'm not entirely sure what all they have in the way of refreshments, but I can tell you the snack table is over there," she says, pointing in the appropriate direction as she does.

Meanwhile, Meline listens to Almasy's description of Halo. "Hmmmm.... Y'know, if it doesn't in some way involve water balloons or water buckets, I'm really not sure it would be for me," she grins. "And as for the boxen..." she grins even wider, watching as the boxen continue bouncing in a circle around the brim of Brock's hat, "I think they've demonstrated about how much of Halo as they'd be able to understand."

~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:17 pm

The man in black nods to Wayfarer.. "Aye lass, I be called Phineas, pleased to make your aquantance."
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby UncleMonty on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:43 pm

StrangeWulf13 wrote:Bandit sighs with relief while Wayfarer scolds the box. No one told me there'd be living cardboard at this party. Hope that Solidus guy doesn't show up... He smiled at her explanation and nodded. "It's all right. So long as they don't do it too often. Or too long."

His eyes slink over to the buffet table and then look back to her. "If you'll pardon me, m'lady, this old sailor needs some grub. I'll be over there if you need me." With that, he bowed and made his way over to the food. Hmm... there's the mouse and weasel... and if my eyes don't deceive me, one can change size... hope I can manage a distraction...

"Hello there. I see you brought the spicy food. Mind telling me what's in it?" It was a fair question. No need to go burning his tongue off after snitching a bit of food. Now, if he could just manage to do it without being seen...

The weasel nudged his friend in the side. "Could you maybe pull your head out of that pie long enough to answer the wolf?"
"Wolf!?" The rat looked around in panic, "I don't owe you money, do I?"
"He was asking about the eggs."
"Oh, heh. A sort of signature thing I whip together for parties," he explained, "They take three days to make, but they're easy and most people seem to like them. Just peel some hard boiled eggs, drop them into a half-gallon jar of imported pepperoncinis in vinegar, and leave them in the refrigerator to marinate for three days, then make eggboats from them and season them up with whatever suits your fancy." He thought for a moment, then went on, "Everyone has different ideas about what 'too spicy' means, so I won't be offended if you try one and don't care for it."
Another pause, "I usually eat the pepperoncinis before I put the eggs in. Otherwise the peppers start tasting like eggs, and it's better to have it the other way around."
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:41 pm

*looks at the boxen and giggles* Ah. That's funny. You mind if I watch the boxen with you? *warm smile*

Doink
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:59 pm

Bandit is caught off guard by the rat and weasel's dialogue. He looks himself over, from his black-furred hands down to his ringed tail. "Um... I don't know where you're getting 'wolf' from, my good sirs. Last I checked, this ol' pirate was a raccoon. See?" He brandishes his tail for them to see.

While they examine it, a few snacks disappear from the trays further down the table. Heh. Easier than I thought. Just like the captain always said, simpler is usually better. He palms the snacks for later, hiding them in small, stain-proof pockets. Modifying his old clothes cost a bit, but it was proving worth the effort.

(OOC: I know my name says Strange Wulf, but Bandit is a coon, just so everyone's clear on that. =P Call him a wolf, and all you'll get is a confused stare.)
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:43 am

Master Phineas, welcome to my humble refrigeratorhenge for this Haloween celebration! Please feel free to make yourself at home! We have a variety of snacks available at the buffet table, There's bobbing for meat in marinade by the grill, also by the grill are several living marshmallows led by an animated soapdish performing some arcane rite with a marshmallow peep...

I hope you all stick around for midnight when I unveil The secret treasure of Refrigeratorhenge!

Hmmm, some of the merlot marinade must have went to my head, I feel like singing!

* The twins look at each other, scream in horror and run away *

* Ahem...* (To the tune of “Tiny Toon Adventures”)

He's largish
and fuzzy
his mind's a little muzzy.
Cut him slack becuz' he
has had a crappy day!

A bear
wanted munchies,
but now he will be lunchies!
'Cuz Trajan don't pull punchies
and his boomslang made him pay!

So right near the woods now
What's a single mom to do?
Should she let the big rac stay?
or boil him in a stew?

Oh,

He's largish,
and fuzzy
His mind's a little muzzy
As Trajan meets the family
let us watch the fun!

Ok, I think I'm done!

=^_^=

* cricket, cricket *

* cricket, cricket *

=>.>

<.<=

=^.^;;

Heh, heh, well, for professional results, consult a professional!

Now, where was I in my story? =^^=

Chapter 7 : First Impressions

Trajan purred contentedly. No pleasure in all of Aerith equaled laying back with his head in his wife’s lap as she idly stroked his temples. “Lamilora.” he sighed. Something felt wrong, her hands seemed larger and rougher than they should have. An odd pulling sensation irritated Trajan’s scalp. “Lamilora, what are you doing?” He said drunkenly, “Trying to tear my fur out?” He looked up to see a large blood red tongue slurp across his head. The bear had returned to finish him off!

Sarah cautiously dabbed the creature’s injury at first to get loose dirt and leaves away from the split in the scalp. But the matting in the creature’s fur made cleaning quite difficult. Scalp injuries tended to bleed a lot, and this creature proved no exception. In short order blood dyed Sarah’s cloth a deep crimson.

A low rumble emanated from the thing’s throat. At first Sarah thought it might be growling at her and she withdrew her hand. But then she noticed that the noise was too steady to be a growl, the critter actually purred like a big cat. It confirmed her suspicions when it smiled and sighed. “Lamilora” it breathed out in a contented way. The sound of speech still surprised Sarah despite having heard the creature taunting the bear.

Sarah continued working on the scalp injury, removing clotted blood from the matted fur. Just as she was lifting the cloth away to wring out the blood and water, the creature stirred awake. “La wa what’re yuu ding? Trrin m’furrout?” it slurred. Its eye opened and fixed on the red stained cloth. “Wha-Ahhh!” The eye widened in terror at the sight of its own blood. It tried to jump up, but vertigo overtook it and it passed out again.

“Well, you’re welcome!” thought Sarah. She started to have doubts again. What was this thing she allowed into her home? She finished cleaning the injury and cut away the matted fur around the area. The creature remained unconscious for the remainder of the process. Sarah finished by applying a bandage to the wound and then exited the cabin to help her children field dress the bear.

Butchering the bear took a long time, and proved hungry work. But the excitement of the morning’s events took young minds off empty stomachs. It was about mid morning when the remains of the bear as well as Trajan’s dropped gear were loaded onto the family’s small cart and brought back to the cottage. Once inside, Sarah had her hands full keeping the two children from mooning all over the stranger asleep in their mother’s bed.

“Fine, stare at him all you want, I don’t think he’ll be waking up soon, and if you don’t want breakfast, then you don’t have to help me.” Sarah warned her two charges.

Reluctantly, the two children went about their morning routine, hundreds of questions burning in their heads. Hunger has a way of increasing focus and the three had done a lot of extra work that morning so their appetites were especially keen.

The aroma of cooking food finally aroused Trajan from his unconscious state. He still felt dizzy and disoriented when he blurted out. “Lamilora, are you cooking breakfast for me? It smells delicious!”

Karen immediately squealed “Oh, he can talk, he’s even more adorable!”

“What?!” Trajan’s eye snapped open and he saw a face hovering over him so large that it practically filled his field of vision. “Gaaah!” He immediately started backpedaling across the bed to get some distance, but he tangled in the sheets and the vertigo in his head made him look like a struggling grub more than anything.

Karen began to reach for Trajan’s head to pat him. “Take it easy there little fella, it’s all right.”

Trajan was being backed into a corner, his arms were tied up in the huge sheets of the bed and he was too dizzy to effectively run. He prepared his weapon of last resort, his teeth. He growled and bared gleaming canines.

“Karen!” Sarah stepped in just in the nick of time as Trajan’s jaws snapped on empty air.

“Where am I?” glowered Trajan, still unsteady in the bed.

“You are in my house, and these are my children.” Sarah ushered Karen behind her and restrained Thom. “It would do you well not to attack them again, otherwise you will find yourself outside again with a matching lump on the other side of your head.”

Trajan finally freed one arm. He reached up with one paw and gingerly touched the bandage on his head. “Y-your children?” he focused woozily on the small family before him. The boy stood nearly equal to his stature, the girl had to be a full head taller then him, and their mother seemed to be a pureblood giant, relatively speaking.

“This is Karen.” the girl nodded, slightly subdued by the tense moment “and this is Thom” the boy blinked at the stranger in the bed. “My name is Sarah, do you have a name?”

Trajan thought for a moment and lowered his defenses a bit. “My name is Trajan”
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dapple on Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:05 am

While they examine it, a few snacks disappear from the trays further down the table. Heh. Easier than I thought. Just like the captain always said, simpler is usually better. He palms the snacks for later, hiding them in small, stain-proof pockets. Modifying his old clothes cost a bit, but it was proving worth the effort.

Dapple looks on at the conversation near the other side of the table. He had been quietly standing there stuffing his face with snacks the whole time. (NEVER turn down free food.) Dapple reaches for more as he reaches down without looking to refill his once again empty plate, as he looks on at the ring tailed pirat, only to notice the plate no longer there.

Confused he looks down to stare right in the fase of the pilferer of snacks. They exchange looks as the would be thief looks up hiding behind the far end of the table. "Strange Wulf...NOoooo the snacks" Dapple screams as he leeps and dives at Strange Wulf. Only to miss and land on top of the table, his bathtub suit throwing off his wait, tipping over the punch bowl and filling the tub-part of his suit with punch and laidle as he rolls off the end of the table to stand up straight. "Punch anyone"
Trogdor Bruninating the Country side....
http://www.homestarrunner.com/trogday.html

And now for something completely different
http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy ... view.shtml
hehe
Dapple
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:22 pm

Phineas gets splashed by the disrupted punch as he approaches the snack table. The spots where the punch splashed on his clothes steam for a moment, and then dissapear leaving the material as coal black as before.
Phineas himself scowls at the ruffian, "Food is for eating, not rolling in.. "
Capnregex
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to NPC