Halloween Party

Postby Wayfarer on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:15 pm

Wayfarer watches the square-dancing boxen for a moment. "Hmmm... I didn't know they knew how to do that." She shrugs. "They're sorta new to me, though, so I guess that's not surprising."

When BlasTech and Brock enter, she says, "Hello, guys. Looks like you two brought snacks that need to go in bowls, too. I'm going to go hunt some down - I was going to try and find a couple for the chips, anyway." With that she wanders off on her search.

Meline, on the other hand, remains behind to oversee the boxen. Before long, those not dancing begin a game. Stacking themselves up in elaborate towers and arches, they try to form the tallest or most complex structures they can using twenty of them. Then, when the structure is complete, the boxen on the bottom bounce out from underneath, sending the whole lot tumble-thumping into chaos. And of course, once the last of them settles, they promptly begin the process again.
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Pierce Pettis, Gordon Kennedy
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Doink on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:10 pm

*staggers around, making gestures. Walks up to Doink* Why's all the rum gone?

Um, because we never had any to begin with? *can't tell if he's method acting or insane*

Well that's no good. *removes a dead weasel from his rapier* Why'd y'invite me to a party with no rum?

...There's a boxen *points*
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.

"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner

"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby Wayfarer on Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:38 pm

Doink wrote:...There's a boxen *points*

Meline gazes suspiciously at the weasel-skewering, pirate-impersonating Almasy for a moment, then turns a stern look on Doink. Fluttering from the boxen on which she's been seated up to eye level, she places her fists on her hips and says, "Don't you dare go pointing trouble toward the boxen. They can't defend themselves, but that's why I'm here."
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:31 am

Bandit stands to the side of the trio, whistling and polishing a rapier that looks very much like the one Almasy was wielding a moment ago. "So many uncouth brutes around here. It really makes a gentleman wish the doorman had better standards for who was allowed in." He's wearing a costume not unlike a pirate's garb, and in fact it looks a little too accurate for a mere costume. The gold ring in his ear shines brightly as he hands the rapier back and bows to Meline. "A pleasure to meet you, my dear. I don't encounter many sprites where I'm from. I consider it an honor to be in your presence."
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:09 pm

*looks away from Meline* Nuts. I guess Jack Sparrow wasn't the best choice for a costume, right, Lacre?

*blinks at having his rapier stolen and returned, then shrugs and puts it away* I might have deserved that.

*glares* That's it, Lacre. Go change your costume.

But-

Change it.

*walks into the bathroom*

Sorry about that, everyone. He's just in character. Normally he's just the harmless kind of crazy.

*returns dressed as Il Palazzo from Excel Saga* The world is corrupt!

*:o*
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.

"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner

"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby Wayfarer on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:46 pm

StrangeWulf13 wrote:"A pleasure to meet you, my dear. I don't encounter many sprites where I'm from. I consider it an honor to be in your presence."

Meline curtsies in return to Bandit's bow. "It's good to meet you, too, sir. It's not often that I make the acquaintance of a polite pirate." She grins mischievously, and there is laughter in her voice as she adds, "And when they are polite, it's usually because they're up to something. I've decided not to suspect you, though, because I don't really like to be overly suspicious."

With those words, she turns to Doink and says, "I suppose I should apologize. I didn't necessarily mean for you to make him change. I'm just a little nervous with the boxen here. They're hard enough to keep track of on their own without bringing them around a lot of people, let alone having them particularly pointed out to someone who seems so..." she takes another glance at Almasy "...unpredictable.

Oh, goodness, speaking of which -"

The sprite turns quickly and does a quick count of the boxen. "Good! All there," she declares, noticeably relieved. She turns back to the other two. "Actually, I'm surprised none of them have wandered off yet. I do wonder why Wayfarer insisted on bringing them."

At that moment Wayfarer, who had re-joined the group in time to hear the last comment, spoke up. "Well, I really just thought it would be fun." At the words Meline whirled to see the speaker, then fluttered backward to include her in the group. "After all, they're cute and fun to watch. And besides, Meline, you know I never know what to do with myself at these things. It'll give me something to do."

At the explanation, Meline puts a hand to her forehead and shakes her head. "Hopeless. You're simply hopeless, Wayfarer. You know you could try socializing at these things. It's sorta the idea."

Wayfarer rolls her eyes and laughs. "Hey, I'm here, aren't I? This is socializing. Now don't worry about the boxen. I'll watch them, and maybe we can take them back home a little later."

~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:45 pm

Bandit smiles at Meline. "It's perfectly all right, but tonight my only mischief planned is to snitch a few treats off the food tables. Preferably without being noticed. If all goes to plan, no one will see me eat a bite!" He looks over to the new arrival and smiles more broadly. "Ah, hello, my dear. You must be... Wayfarer? I've heard much about you. All of it good." He bows and kisses her hand, smiling all the time. "Would you care to be my date for the night? Just as friends? I promise I shall be on my best behavior..."
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:38 am

Welcome to the Party, “Barnacle” Blastech! Although, you may wish to remove the beard if you decide to bob for meat in the pool of marinade! =^^=

Thanks for coming, Brock, :D just place the corn on the buffet table, and ... and...

* A group of living marshmallows, led by the soap dish wander by, they seem to be in a sort of procession. A pallet made out of several wooden pencils is borne by six ‘mallows. Bound to the top of the pallet by rubber bands is a marshmallow peep (the peep is inert). They appear to be heading towards the grill. Some of the Boxen seem to be getting in on the affair by forming “ancient ruins” alongside the way. *

>O.o< ???

Do I even want to know where this is heading?

Thank you, folks for resolving this issue peacefully, we are all here to have fun! =^^=

And I’m glad to see that thus far we’ve managed to keep the floor reasonably clean and dry, as opposed to unfortunate circumstances last year =^^;;

I shall unveil chapter 4 tomorrow, thank you for your patience. The chapter song is co-incident with the title:

“Thank Heaven for Little Girls”

Now if you’ll pardon me, I’m going to get a little meat on the grill, and make sure the ‘mallows stay out of trouble as well!... :9
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:24 pm

StrangeWulf13 wrote:He looks over to the new arrival and smiles more broadly. "Ah, hello, my dear. You must be... Wayfarer? I've heard much about you. All of it good." He bows and kisses her hand, smiling all the time. "Would you care to be my date for the night? Just as friends? I promise I shall be on my best behavior..."

For a moment Wayfarer is caught off-guard and tries a bit awkwardly to think through how to answer. She manages to gather her thoughts fairly quickly, however, and replies, "Yes - yes, I'm Wayfarer. It's very good to meet you, sir. I... ummm... well, I'm afraid I would make a rather poor date, though. It was my idea to bring the boxen, you see, so I really do have to stick around here and keep an eye on them. Can't let them wander off to where they'd trip people or get stepped on. Ummm... but it's very kind of you to ask. And of course I'd be happy to talk whenever you end up over in this area."

As soon as the girl finishes, Meline pipes up in a teasing voice, "Wow, Wayfarer! You actually managed a full answer without running away to hide somewhere! I'm so proud of you!"

"MELINE!!!!" The girl cries in shock, but she gets no futher before Tbolt speaks up from another area of the room.

As soon as he finishes, Meline flits away, calling in a cheery voice over her shoulder, "You know I have to pester you, Wayfarer - it's in my contract. Be back in a minute."

She flies over to Tbolt, saying as she reaches him, "Come on, Tbolt, did you really think there were going to be problems just now? You should know better than that! I mean, really," the sprites eyes twinkle with mischief, "worst case scenario, I would've had to bring out your old friends from last year, the water buckets.

'Course, I suppose in that case you wouldn't have been able to celebrate the floor being clean and dry..." :twisted:

~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks Tbolt, not to worry thankfully this beard is more detachable than the natural version, i just have to be careful that i dont tug on it too hard :P

yikes! * dances out of the path of the boxen*

After listening to Tbolt and Meline's conversation he spoke up again hestitantly. "H-hang on, you arn't talking about those overly agressive bathroom products again are you? I'm still having trouble repressing the memory of that soap holder."
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby Doink on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:04 pm

*walks up to Tbolt, Meline, and Wanderer* Um, pardon me, but could one of you explain what exactly those 'boxen' are? *points at the boxen* I haven't really been out of my own universe that much, so much of this is new to me.

Oh, good, you're out of character now.

*smiles and shrugs* Yes, well, I like this outfit. And I'm feeling rather embarrassed about that last costume.

*nods* That's great. Anyways, this is Lacre Almasy, my character for the Cyantian Chronicles Mars Academy RP.

Nice to meet you.

His hobbies are reading, writing, cooking, shopping, and so on. Play nice everyone. I'll be at the buffet table if anyone needs me.

Doink
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:49 pm

*Brock disappears into the bathroom, taking a very heavy duffle bag with him.* Halloween Party requires a costume... and I have a costume! Let's see: black trousers, tunic, mail haubergeon, surcoat, bracers and pauldrons, leather boots... belt, the crimson cloak, cloak-clasp, sword-belt... yeeeeessss, just like Fox. Excellent. And sword, don't forget the Gallowglass... *Ssshink!*

*Wanders out and waves to all the folks.* Getting to be quite a crowd here, is it? My lords and ladies, my name is Phillip Llewellyn, Marcher Lord of Mathrafal, Pendragon of the Caernafalian Heavy Horse, and by the grace of God, unyielding ally of His Royal Majesty, High King Finhar the Fourth, the lord of the realm of Northira from the..." *Sees the boxen bouncing bashfully behind the bar, and stares for a few moments.*

"...and I expected to be the odd one."
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:10 pm

BlasTech wrote:"H-hang on, you arn't talking about those overly agressive bathroom products again are you? I'm still having trouble repressing the memory of that soap holder."

"Oh, no, no," Meline laughs gleefully. "I'm talking about the buckets Wayfarer and I used to splash himat last year's Halloween party. They were perfectly non-sentient buckets, I assure you."

Meline is still giggling when Lacre Almasy joins the group and asks,
Doink wrote:*walks up to Tbolt, Meline, and Wanderer* Um, pardon me, but could one of you explain what exactly those 'boxen' are? *points at the boxen* I haven't really been out of my own universe that much, so much of this is new to me.

Hmmm... that's a tricky question. See, we found the boxen on one of the worlds we visited, and the group you see here sort of attached itself to us. They followed us around so much that we decided to bring them with us as pets when we left. They're very nearly the same texture as cardboard, though they are waterproof. They weigh about as much as an empty cardboard box, too. We have no idea what they eat or even if they eat - they don't have openings anywhere. And otherwise, except when they're sleeping, they just bounce around all the time. But their bouncing always seems so cheerful that we just can't help but smile when we watch them. That's really about all I know about them, though. Wish I could tell you more...

She pauses as Brock gives his speech, and when he breaks off staring in the direction of the bar she follows his line of sight and spots the boxen.

Ummm... speaking of boxen, it looks like I'd better go chase a few of them down, now.

As she flits over to where the boxen are hiding, she hears,
BrockthePaine wrote:"...and I expected to be the odd one."

"Goodness -" She break off for a moment as she disappears behind the bar. Very soon she comes back, though, herding about seven of the boxen (the group that has been playing with the green marshmallows) out in front of her. Looking at Brock and then around the room, she continues her statement with a playful grin, "- you're ambitious. And this isn't even everyone."

~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby UncleMonty on Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:50 pm

Riding a galumphing weasel named Zucchini (yes, that's what it was doing. I know, because I was perched on his back) across the floor and up a table leg, Uncle Monty finds napkins for himself and his friend. Tucking these around their necks in proper trencherman's style, they begin loading huge platters (tea-cup coasters, actually, but for a rat it's a huge platter) with heaping piles of goodies! Almost an ounce for me, such is my greed when free food is near!

That battle to the death scene? Halloween costume sort of thing...
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:21 am

Thank you for the consideration, Meline, I genuinely appreciate it! =^^=

From what I understand, poor Rogas woke up with a severe hangover, and he barely had had a chance to drink!

Blastech, aggressive bathroom products? Funny you should mention that... =^^;;

* From the grill area a clattering noise is heard. The procession has reached its destination, and an animated soap dish stands on the table next to the grill. He is flanked on either side by several green 'mallows. The peep is before him still tied to the pencils with rubber bands *

Clak, clikk, clikettey-klak clac clac clac! Clic klak cliketty klakkety clic clic, clak!

Translation: Oh great of burning, melting ouchiness, please have mercy on these humble denizens of mallowdom. Accept this offering of the sacrificial peep and do not burn us in your all consuming fire!

P.S. Could you send us a nice pooftail to play with?

A-heh, cute arent they? =^^;;

Ah, Lacre, pleased to meet you! If you could please see that the brats don't burn on the grill...

* Two whining complaining small children ,twin grey fox kits, (3rd post) are suspended above the grill *

>O.O<

Alright, who did that! Would someone get them down for me please?

* Watchs the weasel and rat prepare to feast *

Hee, hee! Please feel free to take as much as you want! =^^=

Now without further ado, may I present:

Chapter 4: Thank Heaven for Little Girls

Curiosity and fear warred within Trajan, he’d never seen a human before. Tales of the gigantic furless, naked barbarians bent on the destruction of rac-conan kind came to his mind. Almost unwittingly he began to creep closer to the cottage. He had also heard that humans were stupid, slow witted brutes, perhaps he might be able to steal some unguarded food from the inhabitants of the cottage. If they were as superstitious as he had heard, he might be able to even have a little fun in the process.

The structure was crude by rac-conan standards. A simple rectangular box made of logs packed with clay in between to keep the drafts out. However, the sheer size of it was quite impressive, it was almost two rac-conan stories tall from the ground to the gutter. The peaked roofline must have added another six feet to the height of the house. The window that Trajan could see was just over three feet off the ground, which put it just above the top of Trajan’s head. There was a crate located just off to the side of the window. Quietly and carefully he slid the box under the opening, climbed on top and peered in.

Sarah was just getting ready for another long day’s work. It was still dark outside, but the work would not wait. The young widow sighed, she looked at her two children just now beginning to stir from their beds. Autumn was in the air and winter would follow soon. Would they be able to lay in enough supplies before the cold weather came?

Karen stirred first from her warm comfortable bed. Groggily she raised her head in protest, chestnut curls clung to her face with sleep. She rubbed her green eyes in an effort to get the sleepiness out of them. “G’mornin’ mommy, is it time to wake up already?”

“Yes, Dewdrop, wake your brother, he’ll need to milk the goat while you help me make breakfast”

The little boy, two years Karen’s junior and all of seven years old proved a little more difficult to rouse from his warm bed.

“I d’wanna get up!” he protested. “How can it be called morning if the sun’s not up?” He pointed to the window to make his point.

Reflexively, Karen followed her brother’s finger to the window.

Trajan was fascinated by the scene before him. There was some sort of speech going on inside, he pressed his muzzle to the glass in order to get closer to hear what was going on. His ears were cranked full forward to pick up the slightest sound.

Karen turned to see a large luminous green eye staring in at them through the glass, beneath it a small black fleshy thing was mashed into the clear surface. The glass fogged slightly as the creature outside exhaled.

A brief moment of silence lapsed when Trajan’s eye met Karen’s.

The predawn stillness was shattered by the incredible screech of a frightened little girl.

The sound hit Trajan like a high powered levin bolt to the head. Ears ringing, he fell backwards from the horrible noise and landed hard on his rump. He barely had the presence of mind to grab his boomslang before he sprinted across the field back to the concealment of the woods.

“Alright, alright, I’m getting up, just stop it please!” whined the young boy.

“Karen what are you doing?!”

“M-mommy, there’s s-something outside the window” the little girl was shaking in fear.

Sarah was concerned. Karen generally wasn’t given to pranks, and they did live uncomfortably close to the woodline. Could this be the bear that had taken her Thomas away from her earlier that year? She desperately wanted to move back to the city, but things were so expensive there and there wasn’t much decent work for a single mother to do. Worse she feared for her children should she fall too deeply into debt.

Something about the situation unsettled Sarah. If there was an intruder outside, the animals would pick it up. But neither the geese nor the goat were making any noise. A human prowler? The livestock were their livelihood, without them they would be forced to the city, she needed to investigate. She grabbed a torch from beside the fireplace and a poker as well and cautiously proceeded outside.
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:28 pm

When Tbolt finishes the chapter Meline, who has finally managed to herd the boxen over to join the main group next to Wayfarer, pipes up. "Okay, maybe it's the chapter title, but I just can't get out of my head the image of Karen with her arms around Trajan's neck as though he were a huge teddy bear, barely able to contain her glee at her new cute, fuzzy pet. :lol: But in any case, I'm looking forward to where this goes."

The boxen, in the meantime, have apparently gotten bored of their last game. Their new one could best be described as self-juggling. Through a a rather remarkable arrangement of placement and timing, one boxen will land on another just as it is getting ready to bounce upward, essentially getting thrown into the air - a process through which several boxen cycle through in succession. Eventually, a number of these groups arrange themselves so that the throwing motion radiates out from a central point, effectively forming a "boxen fountain."

~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:35 pm

Bandit watches all the activity with a bored look on his face. In reality, he's merely taking count of who's where and who's looking at him. The mouse and weasel on the table are going to make things difficult, but perhaps a distraction will provide itself. When he sees Brock come out in his costume, he smirks and slightly leans over to Wayfarer, having stuck close to her side. "Ah, I see the local toff's arrived. Let's hope he's not as arrogant and self-obsessed as the real thing." He keeps his hands in his pockets to make sure they don't wander. He was invited to this party, and for once he was going to enjoy it instead of pulling a big job. Not like there was much to steal here, though a couple of the swords looked authentic. Jose might know a couple good sword collectors...

...and the food looked just wonderful! Yes, food. He had to concentrate on something, or his mind would wander, or his hands would. Either way, he'd likely get kicked out or be embarassed by having to turn over what he stole.

Somehow, it seemed like he could've enjoyed the party much more if he really had come to steal something....
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby BlasTech on Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:55 pm

"Oh heck ... i was hoping that soap dish wouldnt turn up again"

He clasped his hands behind his back and attempted to create an air of control ... in reality he was trying to protect his tail. "Ah, well ... I wont let it get to me too much" he said as he backed away "The night is still young and ... yeah, umm ... ill be hiding in the crowd if you need me"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby The Lurking Dragon on Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:54 am

*Hears Brock's speech and wanders over from the grill area*
Oh my, no one told me they'd have knights here! What a pleasant surprise. I'm starving! *grins a toothy grin* He says as he sneaks up on Brock's character.
"You can't see me or hear me unless I want you to."
The Lurking Dragon
The Lurking Dragon

Postby UncleMonty on Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:12 pm

Uncle Monty turned to Zucchini and asked, "D'ya know that this spread needs?"

The weasel replied, "As if I didn't know about the pickled deviled-eggs you brought."

"Bingo" The rat replied. Hopping off of the table, he assumed non-avatar size on his way to the floor, which means he was now as tall as most of the other guests. He politely exited the room and returned with a tray filled with rather ordinary-looking eggboats...
Of course, these had been made using pickled hard-boiled eggs, marinated in the pickling juice from a jar of Italian pepperoncini peppers, with a yolk mixture seasoned with sriracha chili-garlic sauce and curry powder, with a sprinkling of chili powder on top for color. He placed them on the table, and popped one into his own mouth. His expression was blissfull as he chewed and swallowed.

Back in avatar-mode, he approached his friend, the weasel. "Don't you dare breath in my direction." Zucchini warned.
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to NPC