How would we react?

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:21 pm

Unnecessary, and rather trollish to boot.
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:08 pm

Aye. Shall we use the napalm on him or just dip him in NO2 to cool off? :twisted:
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby RHJunior on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:12 am

Okay, let's play that game.

The government discovers that the Racconans Have Landed.

Immediately, Bush goes to Congress to get a consensus on how to best diplomatically approach these strange new visitors.

Congress immediately votes to give him full authority to act in this sensitive manner.

Five minutes later the Democrats all announce that they were "coerced" by the "atmosphere at the time."

Bush goes to the United Nations to obtain some international cooperation and discovers that:

The UN bluehelmets are busy stockpiling relief aid in the most effective portions for extorting sex from starving alien females.

Germany begins researching how to tell arms to the invaders.

Russia begins researching how to sell nukes to the invaders.... generally by walking around where their missing arsenal used to be and shrugging expansively, "It vas here chust a minute ago...."

France begins researching how to break any embargo with the invaders, and how to say "we surrender, shoot my mistress but spare me" in Racconan. Their pronunciation is perfect however.

The Muslim nations are taking the opportunity to accuse Israel of human rights violations and assert that the raccoons from space are a Zionist conspiracy.

Kofi Annan is passing out bulletins on how to take graft and kickback form the aliens if they prove hostile, and holding a vote to put their representatives on the human rights council--- but only if they turn out to regularly commit human rights violations.

Canada's prime minister calls the seven villages "a shitty little country."

After half a year of wrangling with the United Nations, Bush goes and forms a coalition of Those Of Us Who Don't Have Our Heads Up Our Backsides, consisting of thirty member nations, to approach the Racconans.

This news is greeted at home by the Left with riots, vandalism, arson, and angry unbathed potheads tearing off their clothes and running up and down screaming in the streets-- but since this takes place in Berkeley, where it's the typical response to not getting an extra pickle on their soyburger, nobody notices.

Hillary stands up and claims the Racconans are a vast right-wing conspiracy. Kerry stands up and shows off his purple hearts and starts reciting one of his favorite "War Stories," in which he saves democracy singlehanded. Ted Kennedy stands up, calls Bush a "disgrace," gets in his boatmobile and drives off a bridge. Murtha stands up and accuses the American troops of raccoon-slaughtering war atrocities.

The Supreme court proclaims eminent domain on the Seven Villages and sells it to a developer for condos.

And 3,000 mexicans and 24 Islamics dressed in raccoon suits are given immediate amnesty by the administration when they're caught trying to cross the border.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby TMLutas on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:54 pm

Tom Mazanec wrote:I just hope my Church would be on the side of Good. Speaking as a Catholic, I know my Church has a tendency to wait till the 59th minute of the 11th hour to do the right thing, after it has exhausted the wrong thing. We have seen this in the Geocentric/Heliocentric controversy (and there are still Catholic Geocentrists I read on Wikipedia) all the way up to the Pedophilia Scandal of today. If Pope Benedict has indigestion that day, we could be seeing Pope Pius XXX in 2843 sermonizing that the Church has always taught that Racconnans had souls.

Speaking as another Catholic, you can bet that the Jesuits, the Dominicans, and the Franciscans have been arguing this subject for a few centuries and have volumes on how we should judge our new neighbors and the mystics in the Eastern Church (Catholic and Orthodox alike) will not have considered it a whit but simply take a look for about 5 seconds, smile, and invite the little brothers in to break bread.

Of course, that says nothing about how the less well educated in either camp will react, sad to say.
TMLutas
Regular Poster

Re: Worst case Scenario.

Postby TMLutas on Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:00 pm

SMITTY_THE_SMITH wrote:
RedSquirrel456 wrote:Worst case scenario: Media paints them as enlightened aliens, and new religious cults spring up to worship the new-found godlings. Rac'Conans freak and upgrade their Mistwall.

Worst case scenario? One word, Napalm. If Bush discovered a race of non-humans in Florida. I'm pretty sure the war would start immediately.

1. Which Bush. GWB wouldn't be authorized and I'm not sure the Florida Guard *has* napalm. You're grossly underestimating the complexity of military action within the borders of the US.

2. What kind of Bush Derangement Syndrome sufferer are you if you think that the guy that danced around with the UN for months on end trying to get resolutions on A) Iraq, B) N. Korea, and C) Iran is going to go half-cocked without significant efforts at diplomacy first? Can we at least be a little plausible?
TMLutas
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:04 pm

RHJunior wrote:Okay, let's play that game.

The government discovers that the Racconans Have Landed.

Immediately, Bush goes to Congress to get a consensus on how to best diplomatically approach these strange new visitors.

Congress immediately votes to give him full authority to act in this sensitive manner.

Five minutes later the Democrats all announce that they were "coerced" by the "atmosphere at the time."

Bush goes to the United Nations to obtain some international cooperation and discovers that:

The UN bluehelmets are busy stockpiling relief aid in the most effective portions for extorting sex from starving alien females.

Germany begins researching how to tell arms to the invaders.

Russia begins researching how to sell nukes to the invaders.... generally by walking around where their missing arsenal used to be and shrugging expansively, "It vas here chust a minute ago...."

France begins researching how to break any embargo with the invaders, and how to say "we surrender, shoot my mistress but spare me" in Racconan. Their pronunciation is perfect however.

The Muslim nations are taking the opportunity to accuse Israel of human rights violations and assert that the raccoons from space are a Zionist conspiracy.

Kofi Annan is passing out bulletins on how to take graft and kickback form the aliens if they prove hostile, and holding a vote to put their representatives on the human rights council--- but only if they turn out to regularly commit human rights violations.

Canada's prime minister calls the seven villages "a shitty little country."

After half a year of wrangling with the United Nations, Bush goes and forms a coalition of Those Of Us Who Don't Have Our Heads Up Our Backsides, consisting of thirty member nations, to approach the Racconans.

This news is greeted at home by the Left with riots, vandalism, arson, and angry unbathed potheads tearing off their clothes and running up and down screaming in the streets-- but since this takes place in Berkeley, where it's the typical response to not getting an extra pickle on their soyburger, nobody notices.

Hillary stands up and claims the Racconans are a vast right-wing conspiracy. Kerry stands up and shows off his purple hearts and starts reciting one of his favorite "War Stories," in which he saves democracy singlehanded. Ted Kennedy stands up, calls Bush a "disgrace," gets in his boatmobile and drives off a bridge. Murtha stands up and accuses the American troops of raccoon-slaughtering war atrocities.

The Supreme court proclaims eminent domain on the Seven Villages and sells it to a developer for condos.

And 3,000 mexicans and 24 Islamics dressed in raccoon suits are given immediate amnesty by the administration when they're caught trying to cross the border.

XD Fuggin' brilliant! Best piece of satire I've read in a while!

:shifty: Now if only it wasn't so true...
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Re: Worst case Scenario.

Postby Rokas on Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:05 pm

TMLutas wrote:
GWB wouldn't be authorized and I'm not sure the Florida Guard *has* napalm.

Maybe not the GUARD, no...

Muahaha, HAHAHAHA, BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!! :twisted:

*Ahem* As you were.
I really don't care anymore.
TANSTAAFL
Stockholder of CHOAM, UAC, and Liandri.
Wurfle!
Rokas
Regular Poster

Postby Dark-Star on Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:59 am

Wouldn't mind a bit. :D They're a mostly peaceful race who would like nothing better than to be left in peace. Sooner or later they'd want some contact with the outside, not just for raw metals but for other items, say stuff to build lux generators.

Guards on both sides of the mistwall would probably be best for everyone (but mostly for them), tho.

If a few of the braver ones wanted to venture out and see our world, fine! I'd invite them to church - and the pastor would probably tell the people beforehand not to stare at the smaller guests. There aren't any real wierdos in my church (except me).XD

Heck, I'd probably ask them to teach me some of their luxcraft - I love learning something new!
Information can never replace knowledge ;-}
Dark-Star

Postby DracoDei on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:21 am

Well, you could learn the theory, including how to best use lux items in conjuction with eachother, but remember, like most (all?) earth humans, you are almost certainly worse than Lux Blind.
DracoDei
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:28 am

I recall someone saying that the ability to see lux is extremely rare in humans, but that when it does occur, humans can be substantially more powerful than Rac Cona Daimh. I don't remember where I heard that, though, so don't quote me on that.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby DracoDei on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:51 am

Is true for Aerith humans, IMHO not very plausible for Earth/Terran humans. If we were capable of Lux manipulation to a large degree humanity would probably have noticed (nothing subtle or questionable about the effects a powerful lux-user could produce on a regular basis). Also Ralph, in critiqueing Rokas's fanfic* said the following:
[quote=Ralph]Afraid you've touched on one of my pet peeves there---
the "physics are different here" cliche', along with its subsidiary, "magic doesn't work here because." My own established rule--- one I put down out of annoyance with that particular gambit--- is that if magic works anywhere, it has to work everywhere, the same as time, gravity, electricity, or any other natural force. If the physics changed from one universe to the next, anyone traveling from one universe to the next would die instantly... because the same forces that govern all that unpleasant technology the writer wants to god-game out of the story, are the same forces that effect the molecular structure and biochemical functions of a living creature.[/quote]
Therefore it would be implausible that the ambient Lux level changed from zero to more than zero over the planet, or even the nearest 1000 miles (with more around around the ley lines of the Seven Villages of course) as a result of the Seven Villages being transported here.

In short: Earth would have lux, earth humans are even worse than Aerith humans for being able to use it, even if you accept many rumors of 'bizzare phenominon' as being true.

*Restart of Fan Fic can be found here: http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopic.php?t=75795
Thread I pulled quote from can be found here: http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopic.php?t=75732
DracoDei
Regular Poster

Re: How would we react?

Postby Tom Mazanec on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:00 pm

Please keep. I plan to use this to help me write a fanfic on the new forum.
Forum Mongoose
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to NPC