How would we react?

How would we react?

Postby Tom Mazanec on Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:19 am

Suppose the Seven Villages were transported to, oh, the Florida Everglades (that should keep the climate similar and not displace too many people). What would Bush do? Pope Benedict? Other nations and religions? The common "man in the street"?
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Doink on Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:28 am

Is the mistwall still intact? If it is, then the humans aren't likely to see the Racconan and they only have to deal with "unusual weather conditions."
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.

"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner

"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby Astral on Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:11 am

the mist wall is only a circular wall, meaning its wide open from above. It'd only take a wether satelight examening it closely to rouse suspision, and a quick photo later; Sanctuary city would be plastered all over the morning news paper. "Aliens invaid right under president's nose"
Astral
Cartoon Hero

Postby Aurrin on Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Doink wrote:Is the mistwall still intact? If it is, then the humans aren't likely to see the Racconan and they only have to deal with "unusual weather conditions."

In the middle of Florida? Heck yeah, that'd get noticed. There's sattelite photography taken 24/7 of that area, and they'd be wondering what on earth this strange, new storm was. Then, there's the fact that you prettymuch couldn't place it anywhere that someone wouldn't notice. Further, the mistwall hides them, but it relies on the swamp to make the wall intraversable. There'd be nothing to stop a hurricane-chaser from taking a fly-by to see what was up. And then there's satellite reconaissance, and the fact that humans are well-acquainted with other methods of moving through swamps... I'd give it a week, tops.
Conquering the Universe, one class at a time...
Aurrin
Regular Poster

Postby CasVeg on Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:42 pm

I give it 11 minutes.
CasVeg
Regular Poster

Postby NydaLynn on Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:51 pm

Media would throw negative press all over it and blame everything on the white house. Conspiracy theorists/ UFO fans/ would go nuts.
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>
NydaLynn
Regular Poster

Postby Yuoofox on Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:30 pm

One afternoon, the Frogmage was sitting on his front porch talking with a friend, when Nessie showed up.

"Mr. Frogmage sir," she said, "There's humans in a cloud coming this way."

"What? What do you mean, my dear?" he asked.

"I see some humans riding in a big noisy boat," the mage-sighted girl replied, "and they've got a big cloud around them."

"Oh! That must be from the Mistwall. But how can they see?" he asked.

"I don't know," Nessie replied, "but they're all wearing these big funny boxes on their faces, like spectacles."

"Hmmm. And you're sure of this? Toby," said the Frogmage to his friend, "Go and alert the village leader. Have them meet us here."

"And one more thing," Nessie said to the Frogmage, "The've got a compass box... and it's pointing them toward Sanctuary City."

"What?!" gasped the Frogmage.

"They've got a funny metal box connected to a dish-shaped wand," Nessie replied, "They keep waving the dish around and looking at the box whenever they need to change direction... and I can see that the dish-wand is sensative to pulses of Lux from the Luxfont."

"How many of them are there?" asked the Frogmage.

"There's five of them, and-- uh-oh... LOOK OUT!" Nessie yelled. The frogmage was startled at first, but he then realized that she was speaking to the humans. Nessie continued, "The humans just got ambushed by some gragum-gators! ... One of the humans got bit in the leg, but the other humans just drove all the gragum off. The gragum are swimming away scared... The humans are scared too."

"How did the humans drive the--" asked the Frogmage, but his question was answered by the faint, distant echos of several gunshots reverberating through the swamp.

All was silent for a moment until Nessie added, "They're helping the hurt human now, the one that got bit in the leg. I think it's a lady human. She's hurt, but they're taking care of her now."

- - - - - - - - - -

Yeah, I know Nessie is a bit young for some of the dialogue, and I know they'd be speaking in a Welsh accent, but I had fun with the general idea. :-)
Yuoofox
Regular Poster

Postby UncleMonty on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:15 pm

Since they would be on U.S. land, the first answer our government would be required to determine would be: "Are they a threat to our national security?" It might take a long time to work that out, but considering the great value a lux-using people would represent to any nation (supposing Florida has lux they can use) I believe they would eventually be welcomed.
Then, given that, the question of citizenship would arise. The Rac Cona Daimh would have to become U.S. and Floridian citizens, though in a twist the Native American tribes could "adopt" them as fellow tribesmen. They would still be citizens, but with greater self-rule than the average American.
Then, our government would probably grant (with a smile) the wishes of the Rac Conans to live in isolation. A fence would be raised, and guards of both species would man the gates.
Several embassies would be set up, and most interaction between the Rac Cona Daimh and the outside world would be through their embassies.

My powers of prophecy have now been depleted.
:roll:
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:29 pm

But what would happen should a Level 5 hurricane run through?
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby UncleMonty on Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:14 pm

The JAM wrote:But what would happen should a Level 5 hurricane run through?

That'd be part of the value of lux users.
If the Rac Conans were able to disperse or redirect the storm out to sea, all the better. Humanity would love them all the more. If they were unable, and were damaged by the storm, the U.S. would offer aid, via the Rac Conan embassy, while the Rac Conans would no doubt have their own repairs underway immediately, and might be able - and willing - to offer their own assistance for damaged areas beyond their realm. We might see a human and a Rac Conan sitting on a fallen tree discussing the relative merits of MRE's and lux-preserved emergency rations. I'm almost sure the Rac Conans would be better at purifying drinking water, being a semi-aquatic race who live near a swamp.
Part of the earliest discussions between Rac Conan and Human representatives would likely be whether to live in Florida, or relocate elsewhere. I'd guess they'd know about the storms with which that part of our country is regularly afflicted, before choosing to stay.

The above is purely guesswork and supposition - do with it as you will!
:roll:
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby RedSquirrel456 on Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:58 pm

Worst case scenario: Media paints them as enlightened aliens, and new religious cults spring up to worship the new-found godlings. Rac'Conans freak and upgrade their Mistwall.

And then riots erupt when we try to do anything with them due to mixed feelings about whether or not to even talk to them. I believe there'd be a lot of panic and speculation flying at first when we discover there's actually a living, breathing culture of non-humans right on the panhandle.
"Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases: (1) It's completely impossible. (2) It's possible, but it's not worth doing. (3) I said it was a good idea all along."
-Arthur C. Clarke
RedSquirrel456
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:03 pm

Three words: Rac'conan action figures.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby BlasTech on Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:11 pm

Plushies! :3
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby Aurrin on Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:35 pm

Finding the Rac'cona: Quest for Truth

The Quest starts February 27th
at a theater near you...

Starring Mel Gibson, Sigorney Weaver and Sean O'Connery
Rated C for intense cuteness
Conquering the Universe, one class at a time...
Aurrin
Regular Poster

Postby Fusion on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:23 am

Ack! Aurrin is Evil!
"Heh, sometimes talking to yourself is the only way to get an intelligent conversation..."--Tbolt
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"--Edgar Allen Poe
"I just had an argument with myself, so now we're not talking."--me
"We are the salt of the earth, not the powdered sugar."--R.H. Jr.
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby Tom Mazanec on Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:13 am

Since they are not descendants of Adam and Eve, would this cause theological difficulties with Judaism, Christianity and Islam?
Tom Mazanec
Regular Poster

Postby Yuoofox on Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:30 am

Well, I think that in this story, both humans and the Rac Cona Daimh are all God's children because He created them all.
Yuoofox
Regular Poster

Postby SolidusRaccoon on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:22 am

fusion wrote:Ack! Aurrin is Evil!

And you have just noticed this now?
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Postby Maxgoof on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:34 am

Tom Mazanec wrote:Since they are not descendants of Adam and Eve, would this cause theological difficulties with Judaism, Christianity and Islam?

Of course it would, a point I've brought up with Ralph on a couple of occasions. He's aware of the problems, but, like the Prime Directive, we leave it for now, despite the theological problems, because it makes for better plots.
Max Goof
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy
Maxgoof
Regular Poster

Postby Maxgoof on Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:37 am

Yuoofox wrote:Well, I think that in this story, both humans and the Rac Cona Daimh are all God's children because He created them all.

The problem involved is this:

Humans were sent Jesus because Adam and Eve had fallen. Had Adam and Eve not fallen there would have been no reason to send Him.

The Racconan either did not fall, in which case they don't need a messiah, or else they did in which case they need a RACCONAN messiah.

The interesting part is that Jews and Muslims would have a far easier time adjusting than Christians.
Max Goof
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy
Maxgoof
Regular Poster

Next

Return to NPC