Mysteries Start Small: New fan-made RP start go initiation

Postby BlasTech on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:48 am

Kahlin leaned back in his chair and thought, he didn't like what he was hearing. Amp might think it didn't make sense, but the picture his story painted in his mind was a disturbing one. From what he'd said, it seemed clear that Aven had neither the capacity nor capability to murder or even seriously injure anyone. Attacking the trio with a sheathed sword was only marginally better than swinging a rather large stick, definately not a leathal instrument.

At the same time it seemed to him to be a desperate tactic and it showed something about the strength of Aven's impulse to reclaim the sword that he would take on three people if only to buy some time.

And those spells Kahlin frowned, troubled how did he know how to use them? how to control them? He'd shuddered, his own experiences had shown that, in untrained hands, a powerful artefact would be just as dangerous to the user as the intended target.

The level of familiarity to wield those spells so ... ugh ... precisely, where'd that come from? he wondered and what does that say about the nature of that artefact?
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby Doink on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:09 am

Faris looked concerned. The dagger gives him so much power... and he doesn't know how to use it responsibly. Worse, he can't use it responsibly. We need to figure out how to get rid of that thing, and fast.
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:33 am

Kahlin wearily rubbed his brow "No, it does make sense ... or at least its starting to." He amended, almost to himself.

He could tell by Amp's inquisitve look that the other could tell the he (and, by extention the other two "interrogators") knew about the dagger. But he didn't feel as if he should be saying anything about it here.

"Tell me, how has Aven been reacting to all this?"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:06 am

Amp was starting to have trouble sitting still.

“Hmmm... He's depressed for the most part. That's not surprising, I'm having enough trouble just not being able to do anything. Although I was having a hard time understanding a lot of what he was talking about. Most of his rambling was incoherence. Although he seems to think another or some others had this planned all along. I'm not sure even he knows who he means by 'they'. It'd be easier to talk to him about it.”
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:58 pm

"Do you think so?" He asked "Ignoring the question of whether we're actually allowed to see him, I'm worried that he's going to be too traumatised to speak to us"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:27 pm

Piper nodded slowly. "I'm worried about that, too. There's a lot of ways to provoke information out of an unwilling suspect, but I'm concerned in this case that it would cause more harm than good."
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby BlasTech on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:39 pm

"Particularily since driving him towards walling us out would create a very big obstacle for us to overcome" Kahlin agreed
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:41 am

The speedy, direct woman led Trajan and Greystar briskly through the streets of Sanctuary. Trajan's mind wandered slightly as he followed Lady Vilnas.

Soon they entered one of the nicer sections of town. The homes were bight, clean, and well kept. The structure they now approached was a narrow two story affair. The small front lawn presented a trim and tidy appearance. A minuscule hedge bordered the grass and lined the footpath leading to the entrance of Barret's former abode. An assortment of flowers added a splash of color beneath the windows that flanked the doorway.

The trio proceeded up the path to the main door. Although Lady Vilnas had a key, she first rang the bell out front.

"After Master Barret's demise, his estate reverted to his nearest kin, but as of this time no one has stepped forward to claim the place, nor has anyone bothered to sign the necessary scripwork which would cede the estate to the municipality. There were several servants retained to maintain this building and its grounds. That staff has dwindled to a bare minimum. The head maid, Miss Aurum, is usually to be found on the premises. I do not wish to surprise her by barging into the house, especially with a creature like you in tow.” Vilnas explained.

“Hey, wait a minute,” Trajan started.

“”Additionally,” Vilnas interrupted “Miss Aurum is a fine and proper lady, I expect you to be on your finest behavior.”

“I'm not a kit.” Trajan stated.

“Really? We shall see.” Vilnas sniffed

Greystar remained remarkably silent during the interchange, although, a tic of a smile began to creep up the corner of his mouth.

The door to the building opened and another female rac appeared behind it. “Hello?” she said

“Miss Aurum, it is a pleasure to see you again, I trust you are doing well?”

“Lady Vilnas! It is good to see you, what brings you out here today? And, oh my, what is that creature behind you?”

“That is our resident swamp monster. He calls himself Trajan.” explained Vilnas

“Oh, my, is he dangerous?” Asked Aurum

“You know, I'm right here...” Trajan muttered.

“He seems to be mostly harmless, when handled properly.” Responded Vilnas, completely ignoring Trajan.

“He looks disreputable with that eyepatch.” said Aurum

“I can hear everything you are saying.” Trajan's tail started to twitch.

“But at least he seems to be somewhat decently groomed.” continued Aurum.

“True, but it remains to be seen if this is habitual.”

“Oh my!”

Trajan was about to retort when Greystar chimed in. “And he smells really nice too, Miss Aurum! Take a whiff of his tail, it's Lavender!”

Trajan froze in mid breath, his jaw handing slightly agape. Lady Vilnas once again assumed the picture of perfect mortification as Greystar offered Trajan's rearward appendage for Miss Aurum's inspection.

Miss Aurum noticed Greystar for the first time. “Why, Master Greystar, what an unexpected pleasure to see you!”

“You know him?!” said both Trajan and Vilnas in unison.

“But of course, he is an excellent portrait painter! He has such a keen eye for detail and bringing his subject to life!” Miss Aurum gushed. “Please come in, Master Greystar!” she smiled.

Trajan and Vilnas stared dumbfounded as a beaming Greystar was admitted into the house. “Maybe you're the pretty lady Trajan said we were supposed to meet today!”

Miss Aurum giggled “You flattering little scamp!” She looked outside to see Trajan and Vilnas with lowered tails and wearing matching blank expressions.

“Oh, I'm sorry, please come in, both of you, I had just boiled water for tea, now we may share.”
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:33 pm

I knew I was a good painter! Greystar thought as he entered Barret's estate. So why didn't miss Vilnas like my painting of her?

He looked around the room while Miss Aurum fetched the tea. The room looked remarkably pristine for part of an unclaimed estate. All of Barret's books and papers were arranged in neat stacks around the room, and the furniture didn't have a speck of dust on it.

Greystar wandered over to the nearest stack of papers and picked up the top sheet, looking curiously at it for a few seconds before putting it down neatly in a new stack. This cycle continued, with no apparent results, until Greystar felt Miss Aurum tap his shoulder.

"Aren't you going to join us for tea, Greystar?" she asked, pointing to the tea tray, which had a pot and four cups on it.

"Um, no thanks, Miss Aurum. Tea makes me feel dizzy. Also, we're looking for notes on that weird dagger Mister Barret used to have, because something bad happened earlier and I'm pretty sure it was involved somehow." He continues looking at the papers in the stack.
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:26 am

While Greystar started riffing through the first set of papers, Miss Aurum seated Trajan and Lady Vilnas at the small table in the kitchen and poured each a cup of hot aromatic tea.

“So, what brings you out here today? I don't get many visitors here since Master Barret died.”

“Well, ma'am, this concerns Aven.” Began Trajan as he reached for the sugar bowl. “I, ow!” Lady Vilnas cut him short with a smart rap to the paw.

“Would you like some sugar, Lady Vilnas?”

“Yes, please, one scoop, thank you.”

“And you master Trajan?”

“May I have two-Oof!” Vilnas elbowed Trajan in the ribs “One, just one as well, thank you” Trajan eyed Vilnas suspiciously as she began to sip her tea. He edged his chair a little further away.

“So, what has happened to Aven?” Asked Aurum.

Trajan opened his mouth to speak, but before he uttered any sound, he glanced in Vilnas's direction to make sure no further attacks were coming before he started. The female merely sat placidly sipping her tea eyes closed in silent appreciation of its aroma.

“Aven has been accused of murder.”

Shock played across Miss Aurum's face and her tail flared in surprise. “What!? That child? But he's so docile! He would never hurt a fly!”

“We suspect that the dagger given to Aven is part of the problem...” Explained Vilnas.

Miss Aurum's eyes narrowed. “Oh, I see now.” her tail began to twitch. “Place the blame on the dead man!”

Trajan and Vilnas blinked in surprise at the sudden shift in behavior of their host.

“Didn't you think I could see right through you Lady Vilnas, you are as clear as crystal. You have always envied the accomplishments of Master Barret. Some people like so sit hide-bound among stacks of mouldering books and amass credit for themselves, while others risk fur and flesh do do research out in the field.”

Vilnas's tail flared to its maximum extent, although she kept her voice level, like a parent lecturing a truculent child. “Miss Aurum, this is neither the time nor the place for your childish fantasies, a young man's life hangs in the balance!”

Trajan's eye darted between the two arguing females, his ears slowly rotated rearward as the debate heated up. “Maybe I should...”

“Be quiet!” he received in stereo.

“Leave Trajan, this is a private issue.” ordered Vilnas.

Trajan began to stand, but Miss Auaum grabbed his paw.

“No, please you should let him stay, that way he can see your true nature Lady Vilnas.”

Trajan sat back down, but Vilnas immediately rewarded him with a sharp kick to the shin.

“This affair is of no concern to him! He has no need to be witness to your spectacle!”

“My spectacle?! Isn't that just like you? Blaming others for your shortcomings!”

“How dare you judge me, this coming from a servant!”

“Oh, going to pull class on me, you always had to feel superior to others, so smug in your intellectual capacity...”

Back and forth the two females went with the unfortunate Trajan trapped in between. Finally he reached his limit. His eyepatch erupted blue flame, and he stood to his full height, hitting his head on a low roof beam. “Will you two just shut-Ow!”

The two women stared at him momentarily and Miss Aurum started to cry.

Vilnas recovered first. “You monster!” she rushed around the table and began to comfort Miss Aurum.
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:30 pm

Greystar looked up from his work and rushed over to Miss Aurum's side. "Please don't cry, Miss Aurum," he asked, looking quite distressed that his friend was upset. "Trajan just didn't want you two to fight, that's all."

He waited until Aurum had calmed down, then spoke again. "Miss Vilnas is right. I don't think it's Mister Barret's fault, but there's definitely something wrong with that dagger."
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby RedSquirrel456 on Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:02 pm

"Well in any case," said the officer supervising the interrogation, "there would be little cause to visit him. You can try to put a request through if you like, but..."

Another Guardsman entered the room and spoke to him in a low mutter. The officer nodded and returned to the others.

"My apologies, but Aven is likely not going to be able to be spoken to. This is, after all, a matter involving the state, and so the investigation will be carried out by those responsible. You can fill out the paperwork if you like, but I can't make any promises, if you're still willing to come back in a couple hours while it's all processed and filed. You're lucky you got Amp... though it's mostly because we have little evidence to hold him on."

Ampiere stared up questioningly. Caedmon nodded once.

"You're free to go, I just got the word. Of course, you will be notified and taken back in if we believe you can give us anything useful..." He pulled out several parchments from behind.

"You'll have to fill out a few forms regarding that before you're officially released. As for you all," and this was directed at Piper and co., "of course we will welcome what assistance you can give us, but should you include outside parties by means unofficial channels, whether or not what evidence you gather will be used in the case will no longer be by your discretion."

"I am an investigator," Piper said, ears perked. Caedmon shrugged.

"You run a private business, which is still subject to the law. You have your permits to pursue your own leads, but the final say is still left up to the Adjudicators. Now then... if we're finished here, gentlemen, lady?"
RedSquirrel456
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:24 am

Kahlin looked across the table and caught Piper's eye. His face held an expression that was part frustration and part dry humour that comminucated the thought "well it's a setback, but at least its only a small one for a change".

"Well, if that's that then we might as well head back. If we have any more questions for Amp we can save them till we're in a more ... comfortable environment."

"Well, that cell was pretty comfortable" quipped Ampiere

Kahlin grinned "And while its unfortunate we wont be able to see Aven, well ... at least we have him around for laughs"

"What do you mean "at least"?" Amp grumbled, as the party stood and began exiting the room.
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:57 pm

After filling out the forms and reclaiming his daggers, Amp heads down to the lobby to find the rest waiting for him.

“Speak of the devil,” comments Piper when he sees him.

“So you coming with us then?” Kahlin asks.

“Definitely. I'm really curious about what's going on. Although you may have to fill me in on a few details. I've been a *little* tied up lately!”
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:44 pm

Piper bobbed his head thoughtfully. "So we're going to head to this Master Barrett's house, aye? Look to join the others there, since we're done early?"
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Faris nodded. "The sooner we get there, the better. I hope my brother hasn't destroyed anything while I was away."
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:28 pm

Kahlin blinked, he hadn't considered going there next. It made sense though and was definately going to be better than just waiting at the Whim until the others showed up.

"Sounds fine to me, although I don't know the way. If you'd be kind enough to lead us there Mr Farthing, i think Amp and I have a bit of catching up to do"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:31 am

“Heh, just a bit,” chuckles Amp. “So what have you been up to? It's only been, what, four years?”
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:22 pm

Piper hailed a passing levcarriage and directed the driver to Barrett's house. After paying the fare, he turned to Piper and Faris: "Oh, by the way, if you want to, you can tear up or burn those little slips of paper. Or you could use them later, of course..."
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby BlasTech on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:02 pm

"Thanks Piper" he said as he climbed into the carridge. After he had taken his seat he reached into his pocket and took a hold of the scrip but then he paused. He'd hang on to it for at least a little longer, it made no sense to throw out something that might be handy later.

He turned back to Amp. "Its going on five now I think" he said a little sadly "Havn't been up to much that's interesting, its gotten into a bit of a grind; get up, go lectures, go home and so on" he brightened a little "But im still pottering along" he said with a smile.

"I havn't seen you around the college at all Amp, although I'll admit i've had alot of trouble catching anyone from the old days. What have you been up to all these years?"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to NPC