Mysteries Start Small: New fan-made RP start go initiation

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:33 am

Piper nodded. "All right - guess that means you'll be coming with me, then. Which way to the dining room?" He pushed in his chair and glanced at Kahlin, noting his facial expressions - jaw tight, which Piper read as concern, and the slightest hint of annoyance and confusion in his eyes. Piper grabbed another sausage from the platter in order to cover his staring, and prepared to move out, throwing his cloak back over his shoulder.
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby BlasTech on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:18 am

"Right this way" he held the door open for the other groupmembers exit through. Once everyone was outside, he followed them out as they headed for the dining room. "As much as i'd like to take the time to wake up properly we don't really have the luxury." he muttered, rubbing tired eyes "I just wish we knew what we were looking for"

He cut ahead of the party as they reached the door to the dining room. He rapped on the door and when nobody replied, pushed it open and preceeded the group in.
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Location: In a small tower on the southern side of the college

Postby BlasTech on Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:20 am

Kahlin pulled up a chair next to the table, close to where he'd sat the previous day and watched as the others seated themselves around. He was a little annoyed that Ayshe wasn't there when they'd arrived but he was determined to not let that get to him, he did say that he'd be down after he changed after all.

After five minutes he'd kept himself calm by convincing himself that while speed was of the essence to hurry things along now was to give in to haste which wouldn't be useful at all. It was pretty obvious he was getting impatient and while he fought the internal struggle well his thoughts were evident in the way he kept tapping the table absentmindedly, and from his posture while watching the door.

After fifteen minutes he'd had enough of waiting. He rapped the table with his knuckles in frustration prompting some of the others to turn to look at him. "Should i start now?" he said with a tilt of his head, a couple of others nodded encouragement so he turned back towards the table and brought both his paws up in front of him as he began speaking.

"Well, as most of you know and which ill repeat for Mr Farthing's consideration, last night we determined three informational targets for us to pursue today; An investigation about the dagger, Aven's bonding to it as well as finding out more about the trio of people I noticed at the hospital lurking around his bedside."

"We also concluded, to our satisfaction, that the dagger was definately influencing Aven's behaviour and emotions. While i don't doubt Lady Vilnas' recountings of the differences, we're going to need some evidence to back up her statements. Any information we can find regarding its origins, use or history would be useful. I may be chasing smoke here, but I suspect there might be a link with that other burglary of a dwarven artefact so I've asked Dornigan to look for the Archivist's documentation to see what we turn up. However this is probably only a low priority line of inquiry."

"A search of Barret's house and office would probably turn up more and may also give us some leads on our second target. As far as I know, we can't safely remove the bond from Aven without knowledge of the bonding procedure, especially in light of the damage it did when we tried to scan it. Any scrap of information in this regard, even anecdotal references, could be invaluable. Therefore someone who knows the theory behind bonding should go with the searching group."

He sighed, he couldn't help feel that he was letting down someone by not taking that spot as he'd originally planned.

"Finally we have the info gathering on the trio, find out who they are and why they might be interested in what happened. Now, Mr Farthing, you said you could get us in to talk to Aven?" The other nodded "Well, I doubt we can just ask him about the events last night without traumatising him further, fortunately or unfortunately the guards arrested another person that day."

He leaned forward and cupped his chin in his hands. "The guard arrested one of my friends from home the other day, albeit one i havnt seen in a while, and have charged him as Aven's accomplice. Now while i havn't know Aven for long, I have known Amp for ages and I can't see him doing anything like this maliciously. Best guess is that he might be able to tell us more than Aven could right now."

"Now, this is not a dictatorship ... each of us should decide where we think we'll do the most good, assuming we all stay. I know I agreed to help with the searching but Amp is my *friend*, and I think you can understand why I want to change plans."

"What about you guys?"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:32 am

Piper steepled his fingers in thought. "Well, I can get myself and one or two others into the prison... maybe. I have identification papers for myself and I've a reputation among the Guards, but whether or not they let anybody else in is entirely up to them." He sighed. "I could probably help you a bit with searching the house and office of this Barret, too - I've had to search a lot of houses in my career. It seems like I could be of use in both places."

After a moment's pause, Piper continued. "Though without me it sounds like getting into the prison is going to be a non-starter, so I'll go with Kahlin and whoever else is going that way. Before we leave, I'd suggest that I temporarily "hire" anyone going to the prison with me, then get a stamp of certification from the Archivist's Guild... that way I don't have to lie when I identify you as my assistants to get you inside. Like I said, temporary only, and I won't expect anyone to take orders from me. More like partners than assistants, really."

Fishing around inside his vest, Piper then pulled out a small crystal. "One more thing. These crystals record what someone sees - or rather what they think they see - for later playback. I have enough for everybody, and I'd appreciate it if the party going to search Barret's house and office used them for the entire time they're searching... the searchers might pass over something one of the rest of us might pick up on. We'll do the same thing for the interview with Kahlin's friend... Amp, was it? Do we have consensus for that?"
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:46 am

Trajan's ears flicked a bit when Kahlin announced he would go to the prison, but he smiled at the explanation.

“That's all right, Kahlin, I understand. Friendship is a valuable commodity and should not be wasted. Make sure your friend is OK. Now, Piper, I'll take one of those crystals.” he accepted the offered tool.

Trajan looked to Faris and Greystar. “Now, are either of you up to spent the afternoon with the wonderful Lady Vilnas?” he smiled broadly.
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:18 am

Faris nodded at Trajan's request. "Greystar's got a -hic- talent for finding things. If I lose anything, anything at all, I can guarantee that he'll find it by the next day if I ask him to. So -hic- I recommend that he join the search party."

He also doesn't seem that put off by Vilnas's nagging, she added silently.

"As for myself... my main -hic- talents aren't going to be too useful in either case. I'd like -hic- to go with Piper, personally, if you think I could help him. And I -hic- don't mind being his assistant."
Last edited by Doink on Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.

"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner

"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:10 pm

"Right then," Piper said. "I believe my friend working at the jail gets off work in an hour - hopefully we can get there before he leaves." He glanced at Kahlin and Faris. "I'll need to have you sign a paper quickly at the office, then take it to the Archivists to get it stamped. We'll probably need to take a lev-carriage."

-------

Back at Piper's office, as the investigator searched through his filing system to find a copy of the papers he needed, Kahlin noticed an envelope that had been slid into the mail slot. "Hey, Piper, you know Jasper Quickslash? He's in our little group, too." He waved the letter around.

Piper glanced over his shoulder. "Really? He sent me a letter? That's odd - I wonder why he didn't just drop by."

Handing Kahlin and Faris the short form, Piper slit the top of the envelope and unfolded the letter. "Handwritten in haste," he muttered. "And in an old Guardsman's cypher. Hang on, this might actually pertain to our work." Holding the letter up, Piper began reading:

"Piper: I hope to find you at your office, but failing that, I'm writing this letter for you. I heard you were hired to help clear Aven. Be careful. And here's the part in cypher: Last night I managed to slip into his hospital room and overheard three people talking while Aven was unconcious. I don't have the time to write everything, but the one named Lorian seems to think that Aven has some sort of special lineage. The other two - Salvian and Benimus, along with Lorian, seem to have some sort of plan they want to keep hidden. They believe someone commissioned Gregor - the Rac Conna who Aven killed - to steal the dagger. Someone named Justin appears to figure into it as well, but Salvian doesn't think people will believe him. That ends the cypher... Sorry for the fast note, but some people are following me. I think I'd best lay low for a while - I asked my captain to transfer me for a few days to Hearthtown, so I don't know when I'll be back. Give my regards and apologies to the rest of the group. I need to run. Yeshu protect you, Jasper Quickslash."

Piper folded up the letter and glanced at Kahlin and Faris. "We need to run to get to the Archivists... but I'd like your opinions on that while we go."
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby BlasTech on Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:12 pm

Kahlin scrawled his signature on the bottom of the form as he simultaniously listened to Piper's voice and tried to ensure that he wasnt signing himself into slavery or something like that.

He wrinkled his nose as he took one last look over the form, everything seemed to be in order and properly filled out. He tucked his pen back in his pocket and swung himself off the stool just as Piper finished reading from the note.

"I didn't realise you knew Jasper, Sanctuary must be a smaller city than i thought" He said dryly as a wave on unease rippled through him "He almost makes it sound like we're being hunted, do you think he's serious about that or is he just being dramatic?"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tbolt on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:18 am

Trajan turned to Greystar. “Well then, it looks like we have a date with a lovely young lady!” he smiled.

“Really? Who, is it someone I know?”

Trajan blinked. “Lady Vilnas?”

Greystar saw Trajan's blink and raised him a blank expression.

Faris shook her head as she exited the room. She was certain her brother was doing this specifically to give her an extra headache to keep her on the road.

The pair exited the Whim and proceeded to the Archivist's guild. As had been arranged the night prior Lady Vilnas was already waiting for them. “You're late!” she said flatly.

“But,...” was all Trajan managed to get out.

“First thing in the morning generally indicates a time period somewhat after dawn. Even by the most tainted perspective one can obviously discern that it is now past mid- morning.” she sniffed and began to circle him like a drill instructor inspecting a new recruit recruit. “Well, at least you are dressed somewhat presentably. It looks like your clothing has actually seen soap and an iron for the first time in months!”

“Hey!”

“Is for stables.” she finished her inspection, sniffing at him again. “What is it with that ridiculous lavender scent and you?”

Before Trajan could answer Greystar chimed in. “Trajan said we were to meet a pretty young lady this morning.” he said in all innocence. “Do you know who that might be, Miss Vilnas?”

The effect between the two was rather impressive. It seemed that all the color drained from Lady Vilnas's ears and rushed into Trajan's. Both racs tails flared to impressive proportions. Trajan's eye opened wide and a large sheepish grin splayed across his face, while Vilnas's eyes narrowed to mere slits and she pursed her lips almost to invisibility.

“I shall pretend to never have heard that comment. We shall now proceed to Master Barret's former place of residence.” The imperious woman said as she stalked off at an impressive rate.

Trajan looked at Vilnas's retreating form, then back at Greystar, again to Vilnas, now a little further off, and finally back to Greystar.

“Greystar, that was outstanding, remind me to get you something special for lunch!”

Greystar beamed as the two trotted to catch up with the speedy female.
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:02 pm

Faris printed her somewhat unruly signature at the bottom of the paper. Once she finished, she broke into a noticeable shiver. It only lasted for about a second, then she returned to normal.

"Something wrong?" Piper asked.

Faris blinked, then handed the paper back to him. "I don't think so. I just caught a draft, that's all."

Either that or Greystar's already embarrased himself or someone else. No. He couldn't be that clueless, could he?

-----

He could and was.

I've never seen anyone's face turn that color before! he thought as he followed Vilnas.

"So, what is it that we're looking for, sir?" he asked Trajan.
Last edited by Doink on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:30 am

Trajan thought for a moment as they wound through the street following Lady Vilnas.

"That is a good question, Greystar, it could be almost anything. A note on a scrap of paper, a crystal with a record like the one I got from Piper, perhaps another unusual artifact. It could be almost anything."

The big rac sighed "That's what makes this difficult, when I track something in the swamp, I use all my senses, sight, hearing, sound, kenning, to see what is out of place, what makes the trail, and then I follow it to where it leads. Here we're looking for a very subtle trail indeed. Heck, we might be looking for something that Barret himself was trying to find. What makes this dagger so specail that it forms such an intense bond with its owner? You don't just get drunk one evening and pull something like that out of your tail."
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby Doink on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:23 am

Greystar nodded, somehow comprehending the difficulty of this task.

"I dunno, sir," he interrupted. "I've seen Faris do some weird stuff when she gets drunk."
Doink
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:37 am

BlasTech wrote:"I didn't realise you knew Jasper, Sanctuary must be a smaller city than i thought" He said dryly as a wave on unease rippled through him "He almost makes it sound like we're being hunted, do you think he's serious about that or is he just being dramatic?"

Piper shrugged. "I used to be in the Guard, and Jasper was one of my first senior officers. We run into each other now and again. Anyways... we'll analyze this more once we meet with the others, as we have a shift-change to beat."

After having the papers notarized at the Archivists' Guild, the trio quickly headed for the prison. Piper spoke briefly with the guard at the door, who let them into the front office. Piper's friend sat at a desk in the corner, with another rac in a chair opposite the desk.

"Speak of the devil and he shows up," one of the racs said.

"Nice to see you too, Bartlet," Piper replied. "I'd like to introduce some friends of mine - Kahlin Longshore and Faris - who've joined me for a small commission. Kahlin, Faris, this is my friend Jericho, and his boss Bartlet."

"You have friends, Piper? I didn't think you were the type," Bartlet fired off, winking conspiratorially at Jericho.

"Bah." Piper shook his head. "Anyways, we're working together on this commission I got this morning, and I'm going need to talk to Aven and Ampiere, who are currently in one of your cells. It's on official business, of course: I'll fill out all the necessary paperwork with the magistrate if necessary."

Jericho and Bartlet exchanged glances. "I can probably give you the interview with Ampiere," Bartlet said. "I thought I heard an hour or so ago that the charges on him might be thrown out. So I expect I can let you talk to him. But the kid..." Bartlet bit his lip thoughtfully, avoiding Piper's eyes. "He's supposed to be held incommunicado, but the paperwork on that hasn't come through. So I'm a bit hesitant... how about I send a runner to the magistrate and clear that up while you talk to Ampiere?"

Piper nodded. "That's fine with me. Should I sign for it?"

Bartlet shook his head. "No, I'll deal with it. Jericho, you want to set up the interview room for them?"

"Right," Jericho said, standing. "Follow me, please, gentlemen, lady. I know Piper knows the rules, but I'll summarize them all for the rest of you. No physical contact between you or the prisoner, no passing weapons or luxed objects, all other objects passed must be inspected by witnesses, yaba yaba yaba. Basically, don't be stupid." He opened a door and showed them into a well-lit room with chairs and a long table. "Have a seat down at this end, and I'll send Caedmon to go fetch Ampiere."

Piper took one of the seats and set his notepad down with a flopping sound. He palmed the memory crystal and checked to see if it was empty. Satisfied that he was ready, he waited with the others until the door at the opposite end of the room opened, and Jericho and Caedmon brought in Ampiere.
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby BlasTech on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:15 pm

The whole situation was a bit strange to Kahlin; he'd rarely ever set foot in a guard station before and now he was heading to assist in the "interview" of a prisoner. The incongruity of it all threatened to bring a rather stupid grin to his face but he restrained himself, it wouldn't do to start chuckling manaically in his current position.

However, he did smile when Amp finally arrived, albeit faintly. He was glad that he'd be able to at least provide a familiar face and hopefully some reassurance that they'd be getting him out of there soon.
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Amp had had enough of the interrogation last night and was less than thrilled at the prospect of having to go through another one. Entering the room, he sees three individuals on the far side waiting for him. While the inspector and pretty female looked a little more ready for business, Kahlin was the one who really got his attention.

“Don't tell me they drug you into this as well Kahlin!” his ears fold back as both his shoulders and tail droop some.
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby BlasTech on Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:47 pm

"Heh, good to see you too Amp" He grinned as he motioned the other towards the waiting chair.

"And no, they didnt drag me into this, I'm here of my own reasons, one of which is to see if you're all right? I'm sorry you've been blindsided by all this but so were we, hopefully we can figure out what happened"
BlasTech
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:33 pm

Amp sits down propping his chin with his hands.

“That's the understatement of the century. I let my curiosity get the better of me, save a kid from getting his head blown off, and now I'm not sure whats going to happen other than closing my shop for a while. Getting arrested is not a good way to promote your business.”

He sits back up and gives Kahlin a slight smile.

“I'm kinda glad you did show up.”
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:26 pm

Piper waited until Kahlin and Ampiere had finished greeting each other, then offered the younger rac a slight smile. "If I may, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Piper Farthing, and I'm a private investigator who was hired to try to clear Aven... that'd be the kid you helped last night. I don't think I need to introduce you to Kahlin, but my other equally-capable temporary assistant is Miss Faris." Piper nodded to Faris and noticed a slight blush which was rapidly crushed.

"I just have a few basic questions," Piper continued. He dug in his vest and pulled out a palm-sized soothstone, which he showed to Caedmon. "Can you pass it to the gentleman, please?"

After a cursory inspection, Caedmon handed the small soothstone to Ampiere. "Now," Piper said, "Just tell me a bit about yourself - what you do, hobbies, family, basically anything you feel like telling me that isn't private... and then describe the incident last night, as best you can."
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Fusion on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:48 am

“Well, I'm an Artifactor. I run a small shop outside the south wall here. Basically fixing, making, and improving items is my main interest and past time as well as my income. My family all still live in the Freeman Downs. I have two brothers, and a sister. My Father also is an Artifactor, my mother is a teacher.

As for last night, Well...”

He starts explaining what happened. Kahlin nods when he mentions letting his curiosity get the better of him. That had gotten Amp in trouble with their old teachers a couple times.

Piper interrupts him when Amp mentions the guards getting in on the chase.

“If you saw the guards getting involved, why did you continue to follow him?”

“They were running to darn slow! All that armor was giving them trouble keeping up!”

Everyones eyes widen as he describes the scene after Aven gets the dagger back.

He ends it with his arrest and brief meeting with Kahlin that night.

“It just doesn't make sense. When I got there, he was about to get his head blown off by a mage, but as soon as he picks up that lux crafted dagger he stops us all!”
Fusion
Regular Poster

Postby Doink on Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Faris remained silent, watching Amp in what she hoped was a non-threatening manner. From what she could tell, he was a mage of no particular significance who just made a wrong turn into a crime scene.
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.

"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner

"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Doink
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to NPC