Wildcard!

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:True, but I can put a bullet, arrow, boomerang wherever I want it.
Pretty much same here, but the boomerang I need a little work on. I have to build my own and shape the airfoil for a lefty. So far the best one I made from 2 slabs of 1/8th thickness masonite contact bonded to 1/4" thick and sanded a "clockwise" rotational airfoil into it. Works pretty well, but while I can get it to return with fair consistency, my accruacy at any range beyond 25yds sucks.

Knives, tomahawks and axes, I can throw quite well and with good accuracy.....I just never developed the "touch" for flingin' cow chips w/o it scatterin' mid flight. I'd keep spinning them too hard and centrifugal force just tore 'em to pieces. Therefore, I can't fling crap worth sh*t! :-? :lol:

Shaaruuk



Ever been to any of the "Punkin Chunkin' " contests?

Shaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Aww your a lefty? A freak of nature? I feel for ya man.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Aurrin
Regular Poster
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:05 am

Post by Aurrin »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Aww your a lefty? A freak of nature? I feel for ya man.
Yoda say: "Master of tact, you are not!"
Conquering the Universe, one class at a time...

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Aww your a lefty? A freak of nature? I feel for ya man.
Careful where you toss those rocks now........you know the old saying..."If right handed people use the left side of their brains, then left handed people are the ONLY ones in their RIGHT MINDS!!!" :lol:

FYI....Michaelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, H.G. Wells, and Pablo Picasso, just to name a few are (were) all leftys.......I consider myself in excellent company!! So there...pbbbbbbbt :P :lol: :lol:

Shaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

Sharuuk wrote:
SolidusRaccoon wrote:Aww your a lefty? A freak of nature? I feel for ya man.
Careful where you toss those rocks now........you know the old saying..."If right handed people use the left side of their brains, then left handed people are the ONLY ones in their RIGHT MINDS!!!" :lol:

FYI....Michaelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, H.G. Wells, and Pablo Picasso, just to name a few are (were) all leftys.......I consider myself in excellent company!! So there...pbbbbbbbt :P :lol: :lol:

Shaaruuk
Same here. And don't forget Mark Twain, Paul McCartney, Tiny Tim, M.C. Escher, and (would you believe) Don Adams.
Last edited by Squeaky Bunny on Mon May 09, 2005 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Well I read somewhere the lefties tend to be really smart or really dumb. My Dad is a lefty, so I won't go into detail where he falls on that scale.

Still, isn't it a pain to get guns made for lefties?
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Aurrin
Regular Poster
Posts: 855
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:05 am

Post by Aurrin »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Well I read somewhere the lefties tend to be really smart or really dumb. My Dad is a lefty, so I won't go into detail where he falls on that scale.

Still, isn't it a pain to get guns made for lefties?
O_o

Solidus, would you do us all a favor and stop posting for the remainder of the day? That's three for three topics you've posted in and insulted someone in the space of as many minutes.
Conquering the Universe, one class at a time...

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Aurrin wrote:
SolidusRaccoon wrote:Well I read somewhere the lefties tend to be really smart or really dumb. My Dad is a lefty, so I won't go into detail where he falls on that scale.

Still, isn't it a pain to get guns made for lefties?
O_o

Solidus, would you do us all a favor and stop posting for the remainder of the day? That's three for three topics you've posted in and insulted someone in the space of as many minutes.
Sorry, no can do. Going for a new record.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Still, isn't it a pain to get guns made for lefties?
Not really, several companies made mirror-image left hand .45's that put all the controls on the right side and ejection port on the left. Remington still makes a left handed model of their semi-auto shotgun the 1100LH.

For me, I've been shooting right handed guns for so long that it really doesn't make any difference to me. There have been aftermarket kits available that give you ambidextrous safetys and slide releases for decades, and today more and more firearms are being designed with ambi controls on them. There's only 2 firearms in all, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun that I cannot shoot LH because they are bullpup configured and the ejection port would plant the shell casing into my cheek.

Shaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Gotta love capitalism. make guns even for the freak of nature market, left handers. :D Though I congratulate you, being able to shoot left and right. I would break my next trying to shoot left handed.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Gotta love capitalism. make guns even for the freak of nature market, left handers. :D Though I congratulate you, being able to shoot left and right. I would break my neck trying to shoot left handed.
Part of my own personal training has been "weak hand" or "weak side" shooting if my left hand/arm or eye were out of commission. Granted I'm not as fast or quite as accurate right handed, but you still wouldn't want to be the target of my efforts.

MOF most all defensive shooting courses include a weak hand/side drill.

Shaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Sharuuk wrote:
MOF most all defensive shooting courses include a weak hand/side drill.

Shaaruuk
Well if I had a missile launcer or grenade I would pass that test.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:
Sharuuk wrote:
MOF most all defensive shooting courses include a weak hand/side drill.

Shaaruuk
Well if I had a missile launcer or grenade I would pass that test.
Sorta like this? Link doesn't work dunno why! :x

Shaaruuk
Last edited by Sharuuk on Mon May 09, 2005 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Bad linkage my man.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:Bad linkage my man.
I'm 'bout to give up on tryin' to make linkage...... :x

I was trying to get to the N&T panel where Cpl Bo and Nip are playing "shoot the bottle" with the LAW rocket.

That scene just seemed to fit you.
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

User avatar
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3046
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Outer Heaven

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Yes, yes it does.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

Bigdude
Regular Poster
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:44 pm

Post by Bigdude »

All police shooting qualifications include at least some fire with the off-hand.

All serious handgun training includes off-hand work.

It's in case your primary hand is shot. You'd be surprised how often that happens - in a gunfight, the other guy often "fixates" on your shooting hand and it is statistically more likely to take incoming fire than any other area of your body of the same size.

Another point: some schools of shooting that emphasize the "Weaver" hold say that when you approach a barrier from around the right side you want the gun primarily in the right (left hand supporting) but when coming around the barrier to the left you switch hands! The idea is to have nothing peek out from around a rock, concrete wall or whatever except a barrel and an eyeball.

-----------

The "Weaver" hold: make a "gun hand" and bring it to eye level with your strong hand. We'll call it the right for now, lefties reverse of course. Now bring said hand around and point to an imaginary target almost directly to your left. Now support that hand with your off-hand, off-hand fingers wrapped around the primary hand's fingers. Your off-hand arm will be very bent, your strong arm close to straight. Now push forward a bit with the strong hand, pull back some with the off. That's a "Weaver". There is a variation I use because I have a strong right hand but a strong LEFT eye(!) - this is called "cross-dominance". I make my strong arm dead straight and form a "cheek weld" like a rifle with my right cheek against my right bicep. This brings my left eye in line with the sights. It's extremely stable; only a cross-dominant shooter can do this.

The other main handgun hold is the "Iscoceles" - you're facing the target, both arms straight, both hands on gun (weak over strong like the Weaver). It's faster on follow-up shots as long as the caliber isn't to wild; when you get up to the 44Mag or above ("handcannon class") the Weaver works a lot better. The Weaver presents less of a target (you're "bladed") but with cops all wearing kevlar now, the Iscoseles presents the flat front of the armor to the opponent. Iscoseles is taught to cops more than the Weaver now but I stick with the Weaver.

(You wouldn't believe how many different shooting positions/holds there are. It's an entire marshal art. There's three main schools of thought on holding flashlights and guns at the same time. Look up the "Creedmore" handgun position or the "fetal ball" for use when seriously wounded...)

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

bigdude wrote:Iscoseles is taught to cops more than the Weaver now but I stick with the Weaver.

(You wouldn't believe how many different shooting positions/holds there are. It's an entire marshal art. There's three main schools of thought on holding flashlights and guns at the same time. Look up the "Creedmore" handgun position or the "fetal ball" for use when seriously wounded...)
All VERY GOOD points, VERY WELL PUT.....you sound like you do quite a bit of shooting. I prefer the Weaver stance, and the really funny part is that I was using it LOOOOOOOONG before it had a name. I was too young (9-10) to know what I'd come up with, it was just something that worked very well for me. The "push-pull" technique which is the heart of the Weaver used to be called "dynamic tension".

I used to shoot Handgun Metallic Silhouette Unlimited Class (talk about 'hand cannons') with a highly modified Remington XP-100 chambered for .338CJMK. (Bob Crowley thought it up, J.D. Jones made it, the .338 Crowley-Jones Mastodon Killer :o ) I had to down load the cartridge because I was daylighting (punching holes in) the steel Rams instead of knocking them over at 250yds. I used a weirdly modified Creedmore firing position laying on my side and bracing the gun against my leg and it worked quite well.

Shaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

Bigdude
Regular Poster
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:44 pm

Post by Bigdude »

>>you sound like you do quite a bit of shooting<<

I'm a lobbyist for one of the NRA's smaller cousins :).

(Yes, seriously.)

User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Post by Sharuuk »

bigdude wrote:>>you sound like you do quite a bit of shooting<<

I'm a lobbyist for one of the NRA's smaller cousins :).

(Yes, seriously.)
MAJORLY COOL!!! Life member since 1969....certified FSI since '75.

CCRKBA, USF, GOA, SAF since '80

Did you catch the NRA convention here in Orlando?

Shaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!

Post Reply