BRANDY???
- Maxgoof
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 961
- Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:40 am
- Location: Columbus, Ohio
- Contact:
BRANDY???
Oh dear....and none of them had ever tasted brandy or sherry, so would not be able to tell the difference.
Max Goof
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy
- SolidusRaccoon
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 3046
- Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:15 pm
- Location: Outer Heaven
heh heh they got smashed.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
- Anthony Lion
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 298
- Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:32 am
- Location: Norway
- Contact:
- Doink
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 620
- Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:04 pm
- Location: The Crossroads of Imagination
- Contact:
So what are the proof ratings of sherry and brandy?
Both a heart and a brain are necessary for survival. Without one, the other will quickly perish.
"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner
"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
"I decline to accept the end of man [...] Man will not only endure, but prevail...." - William Faulkner
"I can say—not as a patriotic bromide, but with full knowledge of the necessary metaphysical, epistemological, ethical, political and aesthetic roots—that the United States of America is the greatest, the noblest and, in its original founding principles, the only moral country in the history of the world." - Ayn Rand
Actually, weirdly enough, a typical sherry runs around eighty to ninety proof- that is, anywhere between 40-45% alcohol.
A brandy runs about seventy to eighty proof- 35-40%.
Stronger examples of both can be found, but it's not nearly so pronounced as the difference between, say, a blackberry wine (Up to about thirty proof) and a blackberry brandy (or sherry).
On the other hand, it's my experience that homebrews tend to, er, take off a bit in terms of alcohol content- as witness the bottle of fifty-five proof ginger beer that I've got sitting in my closet (I was aiming for 4% and got 27% instead).
A brandy runs about seventy to eighty proof- 35-40%.
Stronger examples of both can be found, but it's not nearly so pronounced as the difference between, say, a blackberry wine (Up to about thirty proof) and a blackberry brandy (or sherry).
On the other hand, it's my experience that homebrews tend to, er, take off a bit in terms of alcohol content- as witness the bottle of fifty-five proof ginger beer that I've got sitting in my closet (I was aiming for 4% and got 27% instead).
-
Mwalimu
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 303
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:54 pm
- Location: Bloomington, IL
- Contact:
Hmmm. I just checked a couple of sources that say sherry is generally not above 17.5% alcohol. And it is a type of wine.Corradin wrote:Actually, weirdly enough, a typical sherry runs around eighty to ninety proof- that is, anywhere between 40-45% alcohol.
A brandy runs about seventy to eighty proof- 35-40%.
Stronger examples of both can be found, but it's not nearly so pronounced as the difference between, say, a blackberry wine (Up to about thirty proof) and a blackberry brandy (or sherry).
On the other hand, it's my experience that homebrews tend to, er, take off a bit in terms of alcohol content- as witness the bottle of fifty-five proof ginger beer that I've got sitting in my closet (I was aiming for 4% and got 27% instead).
Also, I'm curious how you got 27% in a homebrew, as most yeast strains can't survive much above 15% alcohol. For that matter, how did you measure it? To get stronger alcohol requires a different process, such as distilling.
Joe McCauley
http://www.lionking.org/~mwalimu
http://www.lionking.org/~mwalimu
- Shirogitsune
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:57 am
- Location: Texas
- Contact:
|BEVERAGE||PERCENT ALCOHOL||PROOF|
|BEER||4 - 6||8 - 12|
|WINE||7 - 15||14 - 30|
|CHAMPAGNE||8 - 14||16 - 28|
|DISTILLED SPIRITS||40 - 95||80 - 190|
Source: http://chemcases.com/alcohol/alc-03.htm
So, if blackberry sherry is a type of wine and blackberry brandy is a distilled spirit, there is a significant difference in the "knock down" power of the two beverages.
[Forget trying to do a html table for nicer formatting.
]
|BEER||4 - 6||8 - 12|
|WINE||7 - 15||14 - 30|
|CHAMPAGNE||8 - 14||16 - 28|
|DISTILLED SPIRITS||40 - 95||80 - 190|
Source: http://chemcases.com/alcohol/alc-03.htm
So, if blackberry sherry is a type of wine and blackberry brandy is a distilled spirit, there is a significant difference in the "knock down" power of the two beverages.
[Forget trying to do a html table for nicer formatting.
Last edited by Shirogitsune on Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 am, edited 8 times in total.
- Shirogitsune
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:57 am
- Location: Texas
- Contact:
- Lou Leghorn
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 68
- Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:16 pm
- Location: Greenwood, IN
- Tom Mazanec
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 817
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Ohio
-
Mwalimu
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 303
- Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:54 pm
- Location: Bloomington, IL
- Contact:
I hope today's strip puts to rest whatever concerns any readers may have had about Quentyn (and Kesterl and Fennel) being alcoholic (which leads me to wonder if it was a response to that thread).
And the "license to kill" thing was a bluff? Hmmm...
And the "license to kill" thing was a bluff? Hmmm...
Joe McCauley
http://www.lionking.org/~mwalimu
http://www.lionking.org/~mwalimu
- Shyal_malkes
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1807
- Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:12 am
- Contact:
awwwww man, why couldn't Ralph just let the kid have it?mwalimu wrote:http://www.dragon-tails.com/comics/arch ... ate=001103
I still say the doctor did it....
- Mutant for Hire
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:48 pm
- Squeaky Bunny
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1664
- Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
- Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida
Or him and Meribeth winding up in a chaple somewhere in Capitol city with a kit on her arm.....Squeaky Bunny wrote:You mean like having an adjudicator or Mulharney coming to him as he was leaving and requesting his assistance in the matter of the coins?
With all the appropriate compensations of course.
*ducks away from the pillows*
Kiding! Kidding!!!!
- The JAM
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 2281
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
- Location: Somewhere in Mexico...
- Contact:
[...unWARP!!!]
Good evening.
Those alcohol percentages are sampled from beverages produced by humans. We really don't know what the percentage is for Rac Conian produced beverages.
Also, keep in mind that Quentyn, Kestrel, and Fen are 1/3-1/4 the body mass of an adult human male, so even if the brandy had a lower percentage, it would have a greater intoxicating effect on them than it would on a human.
Though one would think that there would be a lux-powered procedure to remove the alcohol from brandy, he he he.
Hmm....nausea makes you generate lux-powered dots all around your head?
?Zacatep?ngolas!
Until next time, remember:
I
AM
THE
J.A.M. (a.k.a. Numbuh i: "Just because I'm imaginary doesn't mean I don't exist")
Good evening.
[WARP!!!]
Good evening.
Those alcohol percentages are sampled from beverages produced by humans. We really don't know what the percentage is for Rac Conian produced beverages.
Also, keep in mind that Quentyn, Kestrel, and Fen are 1/3-1/4 the body mass of an adult human male, so even if the brandy had a lower percentage, it would have a greater intoxicating effect on them than it would on a human.
Though one would think that there would be a lux-powered procedure to remove the alcohol from brandy, he he he.
Hmm....nausea makes you generate lux-powered dots all around your head?
?Zacatep?ngolas!
Until next time, remember:
I
AM
THE
J.A.M. (a.k.a. Numbuh i: "Just because I'm imaginary doesn't mean I don't exist")
Good evening.
[WARP!!!]
- UncleMonty
- Cartoon Hero
- Posts: 1789
- Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Just a note on alcohol content.
While most commercial distilled alcohol beverages are 40% alcohol (80 Proof), that's because it is watered down to make a higher profit.
A home-made brandy might have as high as 80% alcohol (160 Proof). Anyone who could down that by the mugfull deserves an honorable funeral!!

While most commercial distilled alcohol beverages are 40% alcohol (80 Proof), that's because it is watered down to make a higher profit.
A home-made brandy might have as high as 80% alcohol (160 Proof). Anyone who could down that by the mugfull deserves an honorable funeral!!
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
- Mutant for Hire
- Regular Poster
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:48 pm