Beer!

Beer!

Postby ZOMBIE USER 195 on Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:32 pm

Made you look.

Actually, I have "beer" news, for anyone who cares (I think it's exciting). Point Beer (brewed right where I live!) is coming out with a ROOT beer, and it's the yummiest root beer EVER. Given that their beer tastes like coughed up horsefeed (more so than all beer), I was quite surprised by this. I got to sample some, and I think it has butter in it. Anybody else who's a rootbeer guru out there HAS to get this stuff. It comes out in two weeks! Yay!

And, I know I've asked this before, but has anyone heard of Magner's Cider? It's an Irish import (of course). If you know of where to get it (I had it in San Francisco), pleeeeeease let me know.

And that's my pingpong ball trick!

:D
ZOMBIE USER 195
Regular Poster

Postby Hbomb on Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:29 pm

My sister actually likes Point beer. It's one of the few things she misses about up here. I'm not much of a beer drinker myself, but I like a good root beer. I'll have to try it.

-H
Snowflake Studios, home of "Jerry Little", "Rainy Day Comics", "Scarlet, P.I.", "47 Meatballs", and more. Storming on the internet since 2000.
Hbomb
Regular Poster

Postby Zodo on Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:15 am

I'm something of a root beer maven. I am of the opinion that Sprecher, a root beer made by a microbrewery in Milwaukee (that also makes beer, as well as a ginger ale that I've yet to try).

I'll keep an eye out for Point Root Beer, though it may not get down here for a while.

I'll have to see if it can knock Sprecher off the top of my list. (It has Honey as one of the ingredients.)

Yay! Root beer!

-Zodo, CI
Consummate Troublemaker
King of the Forum
Zodo
Cartoon Hero

Postby BJ on Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:46 am

Well you know, Zodo...if you're going to assemble some Shrinky Dinks for us, I think the LEAST we can do is send you a couple bottles. D'you think they'd travel well in the mail? Or would they explode?

And if the Sprecher ginger ale is what Joey had once at our local coffee shop (help me out here, Joey), it tastes really really different--as in you can really taste the ginger. It's quite a sinus cleaner, and once you get used to the tingling sensation, it's pretty decent.
BJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 195 on Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:15 am

Once you get past the tingling sensation, it's still pretty awful. But that's just me. It just tastes like pure ginger, and a little ginger goes a long way.

I like Sprecher, too, along with 1919 (which is the same as A-n-W, far as I know). But the Point stuff, well, it's so good that it wouldn't be decent to say how much so.

It's those root-crap (to quote a friend) store brand rootbeers that you should shy away from. Yyyyick.

As for the Magner's, apparently me and the little redheaded waitress at O'Reilly's know what I'm talking about :roll:

:wink:
ZOMBIE USER 195
Regular Poster

Postby Zodo on Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:11 am

I'll get right to work on those Shrinky Dinks... A soon as I have some pics to transfer... Or Do you want that I should start digging through the archives to try to find suitable pictures... Be warned, You know my sense of humor. :)

It would be easier if there were just people standing in simple poses, like you would have for paper dolls, with black and white, that I could color in myself. I have a big box of colored pencils that should do pretty good for matching colors in the strips. :)

-Zodo, CI
Consummate Troublemaker
King of the Forum
Zodo
Cartoon Hero

Ahhh Soda!

Postby Jcs on Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:23 am

Hi there long time listener, first time caller. Being a root beer connoisseur, I felt I had to pipe in some help.
Below is a link to a website that has all sorts of sodas, including Sprecher. The shame is that they don't have my favorite brand of root beer, Tommyknockers. It's also a root beer made from a microbrewery based in Phoenix, Arizona and Idaho Springs, CO. They also make a great Key Lime Soda. Seeing as how I work at an ice cream shop, I also test root beers for floats. IBC Root Beer seems to taste best for what is nationally available, but my favorite is a local pub's brew so small they don't bottle it, yet. If anybody is in Fort Collins Colorado, try Coopersmith's root beer. They also make some of the only beer I can stomache.

Oh yeah! Here's the link Keep your eyes open. They get Doctor Pepper sometimes from a distributor that uses the original recipe(i.e. they use REAL sugar as opposed to corn syrup). Here it is:

http://www.popsoda.com/
Jcs
Regular Poster

Postby Hbomb on Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:11 pm

thefiretrap wrote:
It's those root-crap (to quote a friend) store brand rootbeers that you should shy away from. Yyyyick.

Actually, the Wal-mart store brand is pretty good.

I'm sorry, Joey. Am I being too argumentative?

-H
Snowflake Studios, home of "Jerry Little", "Rainy Day Comics", "Scarlet, P.I.", "47 Meatballs", and more. Storming on the internet since 2000.
Hbomb
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 195 on Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:04 pm

Yes. :D

I was thinking of Jolly Good (our grocery store's store brand; I think it's a local bottler), actually. Barq's is kinda like that, too. Sweeeet corn syrup-ey.

I'll check out those root beer sites, though.

And, the official date for Point Root Beer is Sept. 18!

ZOMBIE USER 195
Regular Poster

Postby Cannonshop on Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:34 pm

Nah, the Ultimate Root-Beer experience out here is Henry Weinhardt's Root beer- again, bottled by a "real Beer" company, I stay away from that AnW and Barq's shit, now...
They also make a half-decent Cream Soda...
Cannonshop
Regular Poster

Weinhardt?

Postby Jcs on Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:37 pm

Weinhardt's not bad, but there's a little too much something in there that makes it taste like cough syrup(at least to me)... Also, if you want to be cheap, avoid Albertson's brand root beer! Sugary soda water!!!

All this talk about Shrinky Dinks is reminding me of the early eighties. I got some Smurf Shrinky Dinks. Weird stuff.
Jcs
Regular Poster

Postby MNsane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:06 am

thefiretrap wrote:Yes. :D

I was thinking of Jolly Good (our grocery store's store brand; I think it's a local bottler), actually. Barq's is kinda like that, too. Sweeeet corn syrup-ey.

I'll check out those root beer sites, though.

And, the official date for Point Root Beer is Sept. 18!

jolly good?

this should give you an idea of how old i am, I remember when Jolly Good had a joke printed on the inside bottom of every can
Member of I.W.W
I.U. 660
MNsane
Regular Poster

mmmmm, root beer *drools*

Postby ZOMBIE USER 1304 on Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:33 am

oh man...I hope Madison gets some of this, otherwise I will be taking a detour and heading north to do some shopping :)

~Jason
ZOMBIE USER 1304
Regular Poster

Re: mmmmm, root beer *drools*

Postby MNsane on Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:23 am

JasonB wrote:oh man...I hope Madison gets some of this, otherwise I will be taking a detour and heading north to do some shopping :)

~Jason

i KNOW they have it in Tomah,Wi at Burnstead's Pick 'n' Save
Jolly Good, that is
Member of I.W.W
I.U. 660
MNsane
Regular Poster

First time Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11786 on Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:09 am

Point Beer isn't all bad, at least that is what my friends tell me when I bring them back Point Bock. For all I know it could be since I don't drink.

I might have to get some relatives to bring me some Point Root Beer when they come down to Indianapolis next.

You know, I have been reading Tonya Steele for a while now, (over a year) and it wasn't till I started reading Jackie's Fridge (in July) that I realized that these took place in Point. I got thinking about that as I was visiting some relatives this August and was driving around Point with my mother looking at the things we remember from living there. Funny how that happens.
ZOMBIE USER 11786

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11786 on Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:48 am

I just thought of something, in Mosinee there is Dave's Cafe which is in the old A&W building. He has 1919 Root Beer on tap for those of you in Central Wisconsin. He opened up at the end of July beginning of August. We stopped in while we were up there, my mother worked for him when he had the resturant downtown Mosinee. My mom worked for him like 20 years ago though.

Now why is it I can only get decent root beer while I am in central Wisconsin? I only get to visit once or twice a year. While up there in August, I went to a resturant called Annie's (I think) in Wausau and had a root beer float and they used Sprecher. Man was that good.

I live in one of the largest (if not the largest) city without a major waterway, and yet the best I can do for root beer is IBC. *sigh* We did have a microbrew called Hopps, that did this fantastic Root Beer. It was very smooth and creamy. However they are out of business now. Plus out of 5 times, I only got really good root beer twice. Twice they wouldn't serve it because the mix was bad. Once I got good root beer, but it wasn't great root beer.

Ian.
ZOMBIE USER 11786

Postby Zodo on Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:04 am

You live in Indianapolis?

Come on Up to Lafayette, and try the Dog'n'Suds Drive in. They have decent root beer there. Not the best, but decent. Plus you can get a hot dog!

All at a Drive In Restaurant. A real drive in, where they attach the tray to your car window and everything!

-Zodo, CI
Consummate Troublemaker
King of the Forum
Zodo
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 195 on Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:05 am

I think you can only get good root beer here cuz there's nothing else we really do in Wisconsin besides mock tourists and watch football.

Not saying that's not fun :D

:wink:
ZOMBIE USER 195
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 11786 on Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:48 am

Come on Up to Lafayette, and try the Dog'n'Suds Drive in. They have decent root beer there. Not the best, but decent. Plus you can get a hot dog!

Our Dog & Suds are all changing to Sonics, in Indy. Don't know if this is good or bad. But you are right the Root Beer at Dog & Suds isn't bad. In fact they just started to work on the Dog & Suds/Sonic near my office. Whee! :D
ZOMBIE USER 11786

Postby BJ on Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:24 pm

Ian--Joey and I used to ride our bikes up to that A&W in Mosinee, and we were sad when it went away. Nice to know it'll still be worth riding up there now. Yay! 1919!!

The best root beer I ever had was some home brew a guy was selling at the Bristol RenFair. It was sooooo good and had just a hint of anise. Mmmmm.....
BJ
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Tonja Steele