Oh, the carnage!

Oh, the carnage!

Postby Dromeda on Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:21 pm

A few of my friends have decided that they actually want to DO spudding and they want to know how. As in, how to make the spudding bats and whatnot. You don't have to tell me....I don't want to have to be carrying their books around the halls for them while they're on crutches. Did I mention that they want to cross it with Calvinball? (thank god they haven't discovered the spud cannon....::shudders::) :D
Dromeda

Postby Darth Paradox on Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:48 pm

Spudding is perfectly safe, provided you follow the same, common-sense rules you'd follow while engaging in any beating-people-with-large-bludgeons activity.
-Darth Paradox

Scatterplot - a thrice-weekly webcomic

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends.
-S. Weir Mitchell
Darth Paradox
Regular Poster

Spuds

Postby Zephulos on Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:37 pm

Mmmkay, here we go.
Go to a hardware store and pick up some wooden dowels (about an inch in diameter, maybe 7/8"). Also, get some copper tubing with the same inner diameter as the dowels. Make sure the dowels fit into the tubing without shaking around too much. Get some duct tape as well.
Go to a sports store, and get some lead fishing weights.
Go to an arts supply store, and get some foam rubber.
Cut the copper tubing to the appropriate length (total length plus about six inches), cut the dowels to the copper length minus about nine inches. Hammer down and fold over one side of the copper tubing. Put the dowel down the middle, add weights to the end until the desired balance point is reached (I like the end of the grip area). Then hammer down and fold over the end of the tubing. Cover with foam rubber, sealed in with duct tape, except for an area you'll use to hold the weapon. PAD BOTH ENDS. Add some grip tape to the handle, if you so desire.
Gloves and helmets are strongly recommended for spudding in practice. Aside from that, enjoy, and I disavow all responsibility.

~Z~
Sometimes, we must consider the world works in ways unbeknownst to us.
Zephulos
Regular Poster

Postby Nick Pavlovski on Wed Jan 29, 2003 1:10 am

I am afraid. Very afraid.
Nick Pavlovski
Regular Poster

Postby Darth Paradox on Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:16 pm

Good.
-Darth Paradox

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends.
-S. Weir Mitchell
Darth Paradox
Regular Poster

Postby Nick Pavlovski on Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:48 pm

But tempted to do something if I had access to money that could be guiltlessly spent on frivolous things.
Nick Pavlovski
Regular Poster

Postby TheAuldGrumpReturns on Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:03 pm

For a safer, saner version, use a length of PVC pipe, padding, and either duct or electrical tape.

You may also want to look into the Society for Creative Anachronism, specifically what they use for boffa weapons. (For heavy list they wear armor...)

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrumpReturns

WEAK!

Postby Zephulos on Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:15 am

You could do that, if you're not a fan of pain. Personally, I find it hard to learn how to fight effectively if the only thing the weapon in question can do is bounce off of me.
On the other hand, spudding isn't exactly a safe activity. Especially when you forget what's going on, and try to block with your hand... Ask Chris about that one.

~Z~
Sometimes, we must consider the world works in ways unbeknownst to us.
Zephulos
Regular Poster

Postby Darth Paradox on Fri Jan 31, 2003 9:03 am

Geh. First spudding match, I think it was. I think what happened was that I missed an attack, Stefan counterattacked, and I couldn't get my weapon over to block. Somehow, I (instinctually?) figured that I could block with my hand and save myself some pain. It would have hit my upper arm, I would have been a lot better off then.

We gotta make some shields sometime.
-Darth Paradox

-S. Weir Mitchell
Darth Paradox
Regular Poster

Return to Scatterplot