In-print comic suggestions

Postby Templar on Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:20 am

Jim asked about favorite comic artists in another thread, so I figured I'd post one about suggestions for less well-known comics of the paper variety you should be reading.

I'll give my vote to Alias, from Marvel's MAX line. It's quickly beomce one of my must-reads. The art is just right for the noir-ish subject matter, and it's delivered coolness every month so far. How long Bendis and company can keep up the quality is anyone's guess, but it's a comic you should check out.

Anyone else have some suggestions?
Templar
Regular Poster

Postby Izanobu on Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:03 pm

Felon, from the people at Top Cow. Knights Of the Dinner Table from Kenzer and Co. Strangers in Paradise is another really good one, i don't remember the people who do it.
Maus is good, also don't remember who does it.
Jonny the Homicidal Maniac, Squee, and the related comics are all great, even if they are twisted and often a little sick in content.
Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider Journeys also from Top Cow. ok...so that one isn't so obscure. :smile:
Izanobu of <A HREF="http://www.pastdark.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pastdark.com</A>
Izanobu
Regular Poster

Postby Cornflake on Fri Mar 08, 2002 5:41 am

:mad:

I don't know if this qualifies as 'lesser known' but it's worth a look: 'B.P.R.D.' or 'Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defence'. It's a spin off from Mike Mignola's Hellboy. It's being drawn by one of Mignola's protoges, Sook. Looks great and stars a Fish man named Abe, a non conporal medium named Johann and a haemonuclus named Roger. Who could ask for anything more?

G.
Cornflake
Regular Poster

Postby Glych on Fri Mar 22, 2002 5:44 pm

Anything by Daniel Clowes (Ghost World, David Boring) Anything by the Writers' Bloc crowd (and Jim, that's where our wonderful Kaare Andrews got his start) -Also I would really recommend heading to an indie friendly comic shop and asking them...

-glych
---
I love the smell of India Ink in the morning.
Panel2Panel
Glych
Cartoon Hero

Return to The Makeshift Miracle