Comic Book Artists That Kick Ass!

Postby Zubkavich on Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:54 pm

I thought I'd drum up some conversation by letting people know which comic book artists I really admire. Feel free to add your own and stir up some discussion of comic book art, or particular series that you enjoy.

Artwise, here's some of the ones that stand out off the top of my head:

Chris Bachalo: 'Death-The Time of Your Life' and 'The Witching Hour' are probably my favorites of his work.

Art Adams: The old Asgard-themed Annuals in 'Uncanny X-Men Annual #9' and 'New Mutants Annual #1' are a high point. His current Jonni Future story in 'Tom Strong's Terrific Tales' is really phenomenal too.

Humberto Ramos: His new series 'Out There' issues #1-3 are very cool. The current issues are getting a little too distorted for my taste.

Hiroaki Samura: 'Blade of the Immortal' is one of the greatest. Consistently incredible.

Kenji Tsuruta: 'Spirit of Wonder' is a great series with some beautiful art.

More later...
Jim Zubkavich
------------------
The Makeshift Miracle
http://www.makeshiftmiracle.com
------------------
Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Postby Noiz on Mon Feb 25, 2002 9:51 pm

Chris Bachalo: 'Death-The Time of Your Life' and 'The Witching Hour' are probably my favorites of his work.

Bachalo made me angry when he left Generation X to the tender mercies of a never-ending parade of artists that made Paige and Emma look the same. But I'm not bitter.

I like David Mack's Kabuki a -whole- lot.

Bet you didn't know I knew anything about any of this. Ha!

- noiz
Noiz

Postby Templar on Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:00 am

P. Craig Russell and Charles Vess are two other favorites of mine, and of course the *enormously* talent Alex Ross.
Templar
Regular Poster

Postby Izanobu on Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:50 am

the guy who draws Danger Girl...scott cambell i think. i really like him. (or maybe the women? nah...straight girls can't like scantily clad comic book women, can we?)

i had another one i thought was amazing...but the name escapes me... i think he did a couple guest issues of The Darkness. oh well.

Kabuki is beautiful... i just got done reading that. wow.
Izanobu of <A HREF="http://www.pastdark.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pastdark.com</A>
Izanobu
Regular Poster

Postby Dedos on Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:24 am

Yeah, Art Adams doing the whole Asgard series was friggin' phenomenal. *sigh of joy*

Other people tops on my list are:
Mike Mignola, Sam Kieth, and Frank Miller.
There are many more, but I'd pretty much buy anything any of these guys put out.

I guess I like people with a definite, palpable STYLE that set 'em apart from the rest.
Dedos
Regular Poster

Postby Cornflake on Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:20 am

:mad:
I gotta say that Mike Mignola is one of my favorite comic artists. All of you go real 'Hellboy' right now! His use of silouette, negative space and composition are excellent. His flat, graphic-ey style doesn't compromise the volume or 3D aspect of his art: Something alot of artists do when they take on a 'style', like Frank Miller's DK2 (or DK-poo), whatever.
Hayao Miyazaki's work on Naussicaa is one of my favorite comics ever. His european style panel arrangement and simple ink style convey an deep and awesome story. The greater number of panels per page allows for some great pacing.
Someone mentioned Humberto Ramos: I've gotta say I respected his work on Crimson. I didn't particularly love the story and the art was good and all, but that man held his deadlines! The only artist at Cliffhanger to do so: A true professional.

G.

ps. Read Hellboy. Now.
Cornflake
Regular Poster

Postby Zubkavich on Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:29 am

Two animators turned comic book artists who rule:

Jeff Smith: Bone is a phenomenon for a reason. Amazing compostion, clear staging... how it should be done.

Mike Kunkel: Herobear and The Kid is bursting with energy and a gestural flow. I think he's one of the only people to be nominated for an Eisner after ONE issue. Read Herobear!

Other artists:

Charles Vess: I'll second that vote for CV. I love the colors on Rose. Muted tones set against lush flowing shapes... damn he's good.

Travis Charest: He went from a Jim Lee-wannabee to 'Wow'.. WildCats/X-Men Golden Age is artistic heroin. Check this page and try to tell me he's not kick ass:
http://www.travischarestgallery.com/ind ... n=sketches
Jim Zubkavich
------------------
The Makeshift Miracle
http://www.makeshiftmiracle.com
------------------
Zubkavich
Regular Poster

Return to The Makeshift Miracle