I have joined the rat race!

I have joined the rat race!

Postby Mirober on Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:43 pm

Confirmation just came in today: I have been offered a job as a Software Engineer at Honeywell over on the NASA site! Currently celebrating; more later.

-Matt
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Quantum Alchemist on Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:44 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!
Quantum Alchemist
Regular Poster

Postby Orion on Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:42 am

congratulations, unless it prevents you from working on the comic. In which case: Booo Job!! Yay poverty!
NJ is also Orion's fiance of sexy passion with the love of a thousand sea monkeys

Orion
Cartoon Hero

Congratulations!

Postby Bushipunk on Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:41 am

Glad to hear you got something, and it sounds like a cool job. I'm in the midst of a job search myself, in a somewhat similar field, so I know what it can be like.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:58 pm

No chance you can convince them to let you do the comic on company time, is there? You know, as a kind of PR campaign?

No?

Well, hopefully this is a job requiring a security clearance and you'll have a few months in the icebox before it comes through with nothing better to do than SD.

So congratulations, and welcome to the wonderful world of government contracting! Try not to drop any satellites or anything like that. Believe me, it's embarrassing.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:53 pm

Thanks very much everyone!

Acolyte wrote:Well, hopefully this is a job requiring a security clearance and you'll have a few months in the icebox before it comes through with nothing better to do than SD.

It does; as I understand it, I'll have a mentor who will both train me and make sure I don't see anything I'm not supposed to.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Bushipunk on Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:59 pm

Mirober wrote:Thanks very much everyone!

SNIP

as I understand it, I'll have a mentor who will both train me and make sure I don't see anything I'm not supposed to.

Well, I think I speak for everyone when I wish that he will succeed greatly in the one regard and fail miserably in the other.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:37 pm

Bushipunk wrote:Well, I think I speak for everyone when I wish that he will succeed greatly in the one regard and fail miserably in the other.

Once he gets his clearance he will Know All anyway. The mentor's job is just to prevent him from finding out Things before his proper time.

Yes, Matt is well on his way to becoming one of Them. And we all know what That means...
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Quantum Alchemist on Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:02 pm

He's not at NASA! I've been checking Mirober out, and...

He's at Illuminah;piknhj.k3t5 3t5

HAHAHA THAT WAS AN INTERNET JOKE

CARRY ON WHAT A FUNNY AND UNBELIEVABLE COMIC

NOTHING LIKE THAT COULD EVER REALLY HAPPEN
Quantum Alchemist
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:38 pm

Ah, good, it arrived.

Um, by which, of course, I mean a crate of delicious cookies. Certainly not a doppelganger. Cookies.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:40 pm

Acolyte wrote:Yes, Matt is well on his way to becoming one of Them. And we all know what That means...

Personally, I'm hoping it means Mashed Potato Tuesdays. Man, I sure do loves me them taters!
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Quantum Alchemist on Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:04 pm

WE LIKE COOKIES
Quantum Alchemist
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:56 pm

Mirober wrote:Personally, I'm hoping it means Mashed Potato Tuesdays. Man, I sure do loves me them taters!

I wouldn't know. I've never had a clearance high enough to qualify me for Mashed Potato Tuesdays. Hell, I count myself lucky if I get twofers on the stale french toast.

Edit: And could someone please retcon QA back into existence before he's completely digested?
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Clem on Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:26 pm

I can just see Mirober at work:

"Run you filthy rodent! THEY have a trifecta riding on this!"

or in the reality one typo over:

"We have a Ra sighting in the east at dawn, heading west. The slippery bastard's gotten past Apep again."
"Damn. Order a Fenris intercept, Roberts."
"Uh, sir? I don't get along so well with those wolves...."
Clem
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:07 am

So, is there any idea on how long the hiatus will be? :-?
Cause, you know, I was just wondering, and missing it, and stuff.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:50 pm

*sigh* Unfortunately, I'm leaning towards longer, rather than sooner. Right now I'm focusing on getting an entire script written for the next chapter; after that, I want to have AT LEAST two to three weeks of strips ready and loaded. Anyway, November looks like a bust; hopefully, I'll start up again before the New Year.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I'm going to like working at the complex; while there are no Taco Tuesdays, there are Burrito Wednesdays, and some damn fine burrito's they are, at that!
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:13 pm

You actually have days named after food? Wierd.
No job I've had, had a cafateria either. I don't think they're that popular up here.
It's been a good week now, so how is the job Matt? Any non security breach thoughts or anecdotes you'd care to share? For that matter how broad or draconian (take your pick) IS your non-disclosure agreement? Can you even tell us what you do?
And for good measure, how's the scripting comming? :)
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:19 am

Seafog the 3rd wrote:It's been a good week now, so how is the job Matt? Any non security breach thoughts or anecdotes you'd care to share? For that matter how broad or draconian (take your pick) IS your non-disclosure agreement? Can you even tell us what you do?

I can tell you NUZINK!!! NUUUUUUUUU-ZZZZIIIIIIIIIIINNNNK!!!!!!

Heh. Actually, it's not too bad. Basically, I'm going to be working on the TDRS: Tracking and Data Relay Satellites. Basically, we're NASA's phone company: when the shuttle or the international space station want to talk with Earth, they do it through us. The section I'm in handles software problems for communicating with the sats: the plan is for me to focus on telemetry systems. Little overwhelming right now, but I think I'm going to like it. Course, I'm programming in Ada on some fairly ancient machines ...

And for good measure, how's the scripting comming? :)

Pretty good: I've got the rough outline finished, though I'm still tweaking it somewhat. Otherwise, not much else to report.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:56 am

Mirober wrote:Course, I'm programming in Ada on some fairly ancient machines ...

Oh God, I'm sorry to hear that. For my entire career I've somehow manage to avoid writing any code that's actually deliverable to the customer and so never had to deal with Ada. One of my professors back in college helped write the spec for it -- I only had him for two courses and he was more weird than memorable so his name eludes me these days. He was all enthusiastic about it, but utterly failed to instill a like attitude in his class.

Ancient machines aren't necessarily evil. (It also depends on what you're calling ancient.) I do most of my work on >5 year old Alpha VMS boxes. They still do what we bought them to do, so we've had no reason to upgrade for a while now. Similar line of work too. Funny how aerospace doesn't need the latest and greatest hardware anymore.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:45 am

Yep! You're getting old. And so is your line of work! :P
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Regina Felina