I NEED YOUR HELP!

I NEED YOUR HELP!

Postby Jackiesfridge on Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:27 am

Yep, all of you. Here's the scoop:

One of my classes this semester is the freshman Speech class, since it wasn't something we had to take when I went to school for engineering. We've received our first assignment (last night was the first class), and, well, therein lies the dilemma.

The assignment is: "Ask at least ten people who have taken a college-level public speaking course what the topic of their informative speech was, and ask for a short reason why. Also, ask at least ten people who have taken a college-level public speaking course what the topic of their persuasive speech was, and why. They can be the same people. The person who turns in the most answers for informative gets five extra credit points. The person who turns in the most answers for persuasive also gets five extra credit points."

Ok, here's the part where all the freshman (easily 85% of the class) start grinning because, well, they live on a campus full of people who have taken this darn course - it's pretty much a freshman requirement!

Unfortunately, I don't live on campus. Not only that, I don't even know all that many people in college...except online. So what is essentially a cake assignment for the freshman, something designed to get them in the work mode for the class while not feeling terribly stressed, is much more difficult for me.

So if you have taken a college-level public speaking class, and can remember what the topics for your informative and/or persuasive speech were and why you selected them, if you would be so kind as to let me know here that would be great. If you have friends and they want to let me know, that would be great, too.

Because otherwise I'm going to end up doing my Diogenes impression on a street corner on campus one day after work, and that probably won't be pleasant for anyone involved. @_@
Jackiesfridge
Regular Poster

Postby Guildenstern on Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:39 am

Let me think... I believe my topics were both apathy, and my reasoning was that I didn't really care about politics or world issues, so I went with what I knew.
Ziox: Now with lapitithamine.
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:27 pm

Lessee here

Informative: I did my information topic on Anime, since it was something I believed I was well enough informed about to be able to speak on for five minutes with no difficulty, as well as answer any questions my audience would have.

Persuasive: ... Hell, I can't remember. However, I do remember one of the persuasive speeches I heard

Switching to a vegetarian diet. Given because he himself was a vegetarian, and his mother was a dietician, so he knew a fair deal about the health issues involved (i.e. having what dietary supplements and such one needs to take).
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:56 pm

I never took a speech course in college but I can make something up if it'll help.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Jackiesfridge on Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:34 am

Thanks for the help, guys - just the kind of info i needed!

Thanks again,
-S
Jackiesfridge
Regular Poster

Return to Regina Felina