"...a mission from God."

"...a mission from God."

Postby Jackiesfridge on Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:51 am

NOOOOOOOOO, ELWOOD! DON'T BE A NAZI GHOUL! STAY GOOD! STAY GOOD!

On another note, I AM gonna write you back, Matt, I promise...things have just been REAL busy lately.

Oh, and Matt - wanna GMail account? Let me know.

-S

Any of you other Wastelanders, too, just lemme know. I got six of 'em, and none of the folks over on my LJ seem interested. But Matt gets dibs if he wants one.
Jackiesfridge
Regular Poster

Re: "...a mission from God."

Postby Mirober on Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:38 pm

jackiesfridge wrote:On another note, I AM gonna write you back, Matt, I promise...things have just been REAL busy lately.

Oh sure, off gallivanting about with your collegiate friends I suppose. :D

No worries, I figured a decrease in free time was to blame.

Oh, and Matt - wanna GMail account? Let me know.

Those're the new Google e-mail accounts, yeah? Sure, I'd like to try one out. Just give me the details whenever you have time.

-Matt
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Quantum Alchemist on Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:02 pm

Thera: "Ghoul Nazis."

Jack: "I hate ghoul nazis."

--

Thera: "It's 106 miles to Rl'yeh, we've got a full tank of napalm, half a scroll of incantations, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jack:"Hit it."
Quantum Alchemist
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:20 pm

No, no, no!
Thera needs to say 'Hit it.' It makes more sense that way.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Quantum Alchemist on Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:35 pm

..but Thera's much better at being the one -that- hits things.

*ba dum dum*
Quantum Alchemist
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:02 pm

Man, at some point I've got to work these quotes into something I write. :D
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Quantum Alchemist on Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:25 am

...and in a bizarre twist, the Narrator returns, and summons the Forumites to battle on the Army of Man!

Quantum Alchemist, Seafog, and Jackie's Fridge pop out of nowhere to battle the forces of evil!

(Or, well, not. But it's a hilarious mental image, no matter that it's pointless silliness. Especially thefridge. It would -so- have to devour the Soul Chainer...)
Quantum Alchemist
Regular Poster

Postby Tamayo on Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:55 am

Ia Yog-Sothoth! Ia Nyarlathotep!

It is Nyarlathotep, not Nyralathotep, isn't it? Or am I insufficiently cleared to know that?

Serve The Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tamayo, apprentice illuminata
Tamayo

Postby Jackiesfridge on Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:33 pm

Quantum Alchemist wrote:Quantum Alchemist, Seafog, and Jackie's Fridge pop out of nowhere to battle the forces of evil!

Only if I get to use my new catchphrase, courtesy of tonight's "Father of the Pride"...

ACTIVATE ROCKET PANTS!

-S
Jackiesfridge
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:13 pm

Tamayo wrote:It is Nyarlathotep, not Nyralathotep, isn't it? Or am I insufficiently cleared to know that?

(Glances at The Encyclopedia Cthulhiana)

Yeah, you're right; it should be spelled Nyarlathotep.

Although, frankly, I generally equate spelling for Lovecraftian entities with blasting something with a shotgun: just aim in the general direction, rather than worrying about pin-point accuracy.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Tamayo on Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:09 am

Oh, naturally. It's not (for example) as though the author of al-Azif was precisely sane -- nor were the authors of all those other books, either. Obviously, the effect of utter madness upon one's orthography is likely to be somewhat negative. Besides, Ny-bubba-hotep itself is supposed to have a thousand faces, so why not a thousand different interesting ways to spell its name?

It had better watch out for The King and JFK, though. Lunatic movie references don't end with the Blues Brothers.

珠代、apprentice illuminata and creative speller
Tamayo

Postby Bushipunk on Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:27 am

Tamayo wrote:Oh, naturally. It's not (for example) as though the author of al-Azif was precisely sane -- nor were the authors of all those other books, either.

Not to mention that most of the names are being transliterated from tongues humans can't actually pronounce, or are corrupted versions of those names (Nyarlathotep, for example, being the Egyptianization of something older). Seriously, have you ever read Lovecraft's explanation of how Cthulhu is actually supposed to be pronounced? I can almost fake it when I have a really bad chest cold, but afterwards it's hard to speak for a while because of what it does to my throat.

In regards to the storyline (that part of writing which isn't spelling): Very cool stuff. I don't believe all of what our ghoulie buddy is telling us, since I don't imagine Dr. Landers would think bringing about the end of coherent reality was good for humanity. Then again, what about Loki? We don't really know much, if anything, about his nature or motives. That said, I'm running down my laptop batteries using hotel wireless right now, so I'm not about to dig through the archives -- perhaps someone else can shed more light on that.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Guildenstern on Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:39 am

But... he... said it was Nyarlathotep. He said, quite clearly, that they were supposed to bring Jack to Nyarlathotep.

And like I said, Nyarlathotep knows Jack's true name, works for the agents of the Lovecraft Mythos, and it wouldn't be impossible for him to get an ancient Atlantian thingus. Subtlety was never his big point! Shattering men's souls and blasting their minds is!
Ziox: Now with lapitithamine.
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:53 am

Mm. I can usually produce a pretty good approximation of how Cthulhu is supposed to be pronounced, but it tears up the back of my throat something awful.

Oh, and Shannon:
HOW DOES IT FEEL TO HAVE YOUR WORDS SHTOLEN BY A WORD-BURGLAR, MATT LAUER!?!
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Acolyte on Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:13 pm

Bushipunk wrote:I don't believe all of what our ghoulie buddy is telling us, since I don't imagine Dr. Landers would think bringing about the end of coherent reality was good for humanity. Then again, what about Loki? We don't really know much, if anything, about his nature or motives. That said, I'm running down my laptop batteries using hotel wireless right now, so I'm not about to dig through the archives -- perhaps someone else can shed more light on that.
Bushi

No light here from anyone but Matt, but lots of heat from everywhere else.

We do know a little about Loki's nature: it's similar to that of the other Incarnates. He's working toward his own ends of course, but you'd expect that from Loki.

Given what we've seen so far that the main characters don't know about, I'd say that Commander Ghoulie is telling the truth here. Consider what the Ragman's been doing, leaving all those books laying around just in the right place for the right person to find them. It may be abnormally subtle for him, but sometimes you have to prepare a scene carefully before you can bring about a big crash.

It's possible that everyone's being manipulated here. We know for sure that Sirius/Graves is. What made Anna (with Loki's support) create the "Children" in the first place? If we've been told I missed it. The departure of Maya would then have all been part of the plan too. She was going insane; was it the power or was there something else prodding her along somehow? This current situation with the departure of the Grays and all Chaos breaking loose at their facility could have been engineered exactly to drive Jack into what he did. In which case the Commander has just spilled the beans in front of exactly the wrong person, in the accepted style of triumphalistic bad guys everywhere.

That's my best guess at this point. But I can never really tell what's coming next around here.
Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Quantum Alchemist on Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:44 pm

BEGIN RANDOM THEORIZING

The ghoul nazi seemed pretty sure that Jack could devour an Incarnate's energy -- ergo, Kataract-Sune are powerful enough to at least kill an Incarnate.

What if this breaks the reincarnation cycle until the energy is used?

If this is true -- it may be that Jack and the other Children were created on Loki's behest as a weapon against the other Incarnates. It'd explain why he's fighting so hard to keep it from the attention of the others.

If these incarnates were awake before the passing-on of the mantle of God... then they may have been originally conceived as hunter-killers to find the current incarnations of the Incarnates and drain their power without them knowing what they were.
Quantum Alchemist
Regular Poster

Return to Regina Felina