Okay, who is Jack talking to? (8/18)

Okay, who is Jack talking to? (8/18)

Postby Zerethkat on Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:33 am

Sure, it looks like Soul Chained Up Jack. But what _is_ it really? Is it Jack's subconcious mind? The Soul Chains themselves? Some Katr... Magic Eater Person... thing? A weasel which ahs been secretly living in his head?
Zerethkat

Re: Okay, who is Jack talking to? (8/18)

Postby Bushipunk on Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:39 am

Zerethkat wrote:Sure, it looks like Soul Chained Up Jack. But what _is_ it really? Is it Jack's subconcious mind? The Soul Chains themselves? Some Katr... Magic Eater Person... thing? A weasel which ahs been secretly living in his head?

The Shan (psychic insect... weasels)?

I'm thinking it actually is the mental manifestation of "Ol' No-Soul". I'm not sure what choice he's being asked to make, exactly, but of the possibilities currently in my mind, none seem likely to be of benefit to his enemies, so I can't see why this would be a trick.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:55 pm

Friday.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Guildenstern on Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:53 pm

Well, considering it's called the 'No Soul' technique, I'm thinking that he's making the decision whether to keep his soul or not.
Ziox: Now with lapitithamine.
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:56 pm

Interesting idea Guildenstern, I like the implications.
And we only have to wait 2 days to find out! At least we'll have stuff to talk about this weekend.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Bushipunk on Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:26 pm

Guildenstern wrote:Well, considering it's called the 'No Soul' technique, I'm thinking that he's making the decision whether to keep his soul or not.

"We're not all masters of our souls, Michum." -- Big-foreheaded alien who's name escapes me, 'This Island Earth'

That's mostly likely what the choice is. I'm starting to second guess my previous idea about who/what Jack's chatting with in his head, though. I'm still not sure what possible benefit Jack going permanently No-Soul would be to his enemies, or in fact anyone, so I still don't think it's a trick. Perhaps Jack's Kataract-Sune aspect is manifesting as Chained Jack? I don't know.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Guildenstern on Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:25 pm

Ah, Exeter... and Brak!

This guy says it doesn't matter who he is, but I can't shake the feeling that it is very, VERY, VERY important.
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Zerethkat on Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:38 am

Guildenstern wrote:Ah, Exeter... and Brak!

This guy says it doesn't matter who he is, but I can't shake the feeling that it is very, VERY, VERY important.

Yep. How does Jack know this mysterious apparition has his best interests in mind? It could be manipulating him into doing something that's a really bad idea.
Zerethkat

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:38 pm

Possibly, but Jack is also a bit on the desperate side right now anyway.
If he is shackeling/losing his soul here, I'm wondering what's going to happen to Jacks behaviour. Other then the remanants of the desire to remain free, what's he going to do? A huge amount of what we do as people relys on illogical or instinctual or emotional responses. I could see a Chained Jack retreating further and further into doing nothing. As apart from eating food or Mana and improving his defences against his enemies, what point is there in doing anything? Those cover whats left of his imperatives. Of course he could construe the best way of defending himself as taking over the world, destroying all intelligent life and engorging himself with obscene amounts of Mana.
It reminds me of the Protectors from Larry Nivens Ringworld and Known Space novels. Just change protecting offspring to protecting self.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Zerethkat on Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:15 pm

Seafog the 3rd wrote:Possibly, but Jack is also a bit on the desperate side right now anyway.
If he is shackeling/losing his soul here, I'm wondering what's going to happen to Jacks behaviour. Other then the remanants of the desire to remain free, what's he going to do?

Get really sarcastic. If you pay attention, Soul Chained Jack hasn't acutally been emotionless, just a bit of an asshole.
Zerethkat

Postby Bushipunk on Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:21 pm

Zerethkat wrote:
Seafog the 3rd wrote:Possibly, but Jack is also a bit on the desperate side right now anyway.
If he is shackeling/losing his soul here, I'm wondering what's going to happen to Jacks behaviour. Other then the remanants of the desire to remain free, what's he going to do?

Get really sarcastic. If you pay attention, Soul Chained Jack hasn't acutally been emotionless, just a bit of an asshole.

Very true. Witness his (totally reasonable, in my opinion) <a href="http://strangedaze.keenspace.com/d/20001113.html">reaction to getting mayonaisse</a> on a hamburger. Chained Jack isn't exactly emotionless; his emotional and moral responses are just severely restrained. On the other hand, I guess we can look at Hook's behaviour prior to the current story, he wasn't nearly so proactive most of the time. It could, I suppose, go either way.

Note that both examples include plenty of sarcasm, however. That, at least, we can count on.

Bushi

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Goodbye Soul...

Postby Bushipunk on Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:55 am

Today would seem to confirm Jack's intent to go permanently Soulless. What else would he be appologizing to Ariel for? After all, being emotionless is likely to nip their impending romance in the bud, no?

Bushi

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Zerethkat on Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:32 pm

Yep, that sounds like good old Soul Chained Jack. Also, is that the claw we last saw when Jack killed th elven swordsguy?
Zerethkat

Postby Guildenstern on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:13 am

... did he just kill Ariel?
Guildenstern
Regular Poster

Postby Bushipunk on Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:46 am

Guildenstern wrote:...

... did he just kill Ariel?

Nah. He only broke her heart and doomed her, more or less, to a lifetime of seeing him, all Soulless and sarcastic, and knowing what might have been but never will be. What a way to get dumped, huh?

Seriously, though, I can't see why he would have. It's not like she'd be a great source of mana, and he's generally unstoppable enough as a soulless Kataract-Sune that I don't think he'd really need it anyway.

Bushi

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Return to Regina Felina