Go, Matt!

Go, Matt!

Postby Acolyte on Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:37 pm

I had occasion to look through the archives a few days ago, and in retrospect I have to say I'm highly impressed. Not only has this strip been running for about 3-1/2 years, which is rather longer than the mean lifespan of a webcomic, but Matt's art has improved amazingly during that time. It's gone from a primitive but decipherable scribble to something that's beginning to approach commercial-grade rendering. (Look at Thera's face in today's panel 2, fer cryin' out loud!) Compare this to certain other webcomic artists who shall remain nameless and who misspell their Homeric-epic inspired monikers anyhow, and you can see the difference between someone who actually gives a fuck about what he's doing and someone who's just coasting on some early undeserved success.

To save some clicking, here's the first Strange Daze strip EVAR:

And here's todays:

Acolyte
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:27 pm

Thanks! I won't go into the usual spiel about why I started Strange Daze (re: comic = practice ); just thanks for noticing. The support I've gotten from all of you guys has gone a long way in getting me to this point. It may be a hackneyed cliche, but true nevertheless.

(And yes, I hate that Dr. Oddesey guy too. Damn smug-bastard with his freaking mutant crab army. Oh sure, he may control several pacific islands and a significant percentage of the western seaboard, but where's the EVIL? All that guy cares about these days is annual income taxation subsidies and getting his ego stroked by nickel-and-dime black masks at Villa-Con)
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:20 am

Hey, don't look at me, I barely know art from a hole in the wall. :D And I stuck around for the funky plot, and the good jokes, not the admittantly pretty pictures. But you have been improving alot. Theras body now looks kind of wierd to me recently, but I can't figure out exactly why.
As for support, I find this story to be extremely funky and pretty intelligent to boot. I wish I lived near you because it seems that you would make a kickass GM. Your comic, and forum, are amoung my, 'must check for updates, I need my hit', sites. JF, Pibgorn and Schlock Mercenary are amoung the others that are still active. If you got this into the newspaper, I'd subscribe. There, how's that for testimonial? 8)
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:05 pm

Thera's body probably looks weird because I can't seem to get the proportions fixed to my satisfaction. She's supposed to be large and imposing; especially when she's wearing the coat, that doesn't always come across.

As for GMing, right now it's my skills at running off-the-cuff that are getting the most exercise. I run a Mage game on Friday and an Exalted: Dragon-Blooded game on Saturday, and generally I only have a couple hours of prep time for each. Still, my players seem to be getting into each game, so I guess I'm doing something right.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:07 pm

Two games? Dear God man. :o And you write and draw this thing, and do school too. The fact that you can successfully run two weekly games 'off the cuff' is something I find quite impressive. I'm throughly nervous and I'm just trying to start one measly D&D game.
And yeah, it's Theras proportions that are throwing me. In the 6th panel her head seems too small. The fact you've been changing her character design over time probably has been adding to the feeling.
'Never appeal to a man's 'better nature'. He may not have one. Invoking his self-intrest gives you more leverage.' -Lazarus Long
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:38 am

Seafog the 3rd wrote:And yeah, it's Theras proportions that are throwing me. In the 6th panel her head seems too small.

Actually, that panel was just me screwing up. I didn't notice how bad it was until I had finished inking it, and I decided to let it slide.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Postby Seafog the 3rd on Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:44 pm

Just thought of another art question here. Was Thera always that big (regardless of what the old comics look like), or has she been changing along with her returning memories and power?
Seafog the 3rd
Regular Poster

Postby Mirober on Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:41 pm

Always that big. Her Atlantean form was also fairly large, though not quite to the extreme as her current Nephilim body.
Mirober
Regular Poster

Return to Regina Felina