Posthumous AUTObiographies?

Posthumous AUTObiographies?

Postby Calliope on Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:43 pm

Even in the context of the Lovecraft cosmos, I find this a bit hard to believe. Generally, if someone comes back from the dead, they don't get another chance beyond that. Besides...how would one write while dead -- and if written after revival, wouldn't that technically not be posthumous?
Calliope
Regular Poster

Postby Mark Sherry on Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:01 pm

His stories <i>claim</i> to be autobiographies. Not only do they tend to give contradictory accounts of his supposed life, the narrator usually gets killed. Brutally. Usually because he was writing instead of doing the sensible thing of running.

To quote a section from chapter 23 of "The Terror from Tuscon":
Victor Woodbury wrote:Even now I hear the horrible slithering noises as the articulated, chitinous bodies of my pursuers approach the room where I have barricaded myself. The sound of their mandibles scraping against the door is maddening, and I fear that- No! They have managed to eat a hole through the door and are now tearing it down with lightning speed! I fear I have not long left for this world, and hope that this missive shall reach others, such that they should know the gruesome fate which has befell me, as even now they attack my body and rend my flesh. Already they have consumed my arms and legs, forcing me to type this message with my nose and tongue. I
Cthlulhu fhtagn that people would quit trying to wake him.
<A HREF="http://tcow.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>The Call of Whatever</a>
Mark Sherry
Regular Poster

Postby X1628 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:38 am

this is probably a stupid question, but...

surely "thrilling conclusion" does not, in fact, refer to an actual conclusion?
X1628

Postby Mark Sherry on Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:01 pm

x1628 wrote:this is probably a stupid question, but...

surely "thrilling conclusion" does not, in fact, refer to an actual conclusion?

While 'conclusion' does have implications of being a satisfactory conclusion, Tuesday's strip will be TCoW's final strip. There will be a brief epilogue afterward, and there will be a few more TCoW related things after that, but Tuesday will be the last proper strip.

I've been working on a sequel of sorts for TCoW, but since TCoW is ending somewhat sooner than I'd expected, it will be a little while before it's ready to launch. Most of TCoW was written with no idea what was going to happen next. I don't want Arkham (the sequel) to be the same.

Also, I'm going to be doing the drawing for it, so it will either take a while for it to be drawn, or it will look quite poor (or maybe even both).

In short: TCoW the comic strip is ending on Tuesday. Epilogue, which will hopefully provide some closure, will follow. I'm also working on a few other TCoW things that I'll put up, and one of those will hopefully run for a week or two. There will be a semi-sequel following. Main characters will be different.
Mark Sherry
Regular Poster

Postby X1628 on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:24 pm

hmm...figures i'd get in right around the end of an era. well, i'm looking forward to the new strip then, when you start it up...are you planning to use the same site, or...?

if it's not prying too much, what made you decide to finish up TCoW and move on?

-c
X1628

Postby Mark Sherry on Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:05 am

x1628 wrote:hmm...figures i'd get in right around the end of an era. well, i'm looking forward to the new strip then, when you start it up...are you planning to use the same site, or...?

if it's not prying too much, what made you decide to finish up TCoW and move on?
-c

I haven't decided yet where it will be hosted, but it probably won't be on Keenspace, and definitely not on the TCoW site. (Nothing wrong with the TCoW site. I'd just rather keep them separate.) I will post the link here when there's something to look at, though.

As for why the strip is ending, my sister has been drawing the strip for me for three years and is starting to get sick of it. This combined with a sizable workload from school means she doesn't have as much time as she'd like.
In short, my artist wants out. I'm also not quite sure what TCoW would be doing next, so this was a natural stopping point.
Mark Sherry
Regular Poster

Postby Calliope on Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:02 pm

Does this mean you'll be tackling the art or searching for another artist?
Calliope
Regular Poster

Postby Mark Sherry on Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:10 pm

Currently I'm planning on doing the artwork myself.
Mark Sherry
Regular Poster

Return to Call of Whatever, The