Ilya's "Common Grounds" Diatribe

Postby Michael on Wed Jan 10, 2001 5:16 am

Close.
Michael
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lee Herold on Wed Jan 10, 2001 8:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pixel:
<B>all press is good press.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Now wait, dammit. Is all press good press, or is no news good news?
Lee Herold
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nd on Wed Jan 10, 2001 9:32 am

But evidently not <I>closed</I>...
Nd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Michael on Wed Jan 10, 2001 10:20 am

Or <I>clothes</I>.<P>------------------
<A HREF="http://www.vivtek.com/toonbots/" TARGET=_blank>Toonbots.</A> Only the coolest of people like it. You want to be cool, don't you?
Michael
Cartoon Hero

Postby ZOMBIE USER 54 on Wed Jan 10, 2001 12:25 pm

crumpled trousers leads to disgruntled customer which leads to aforementioned customer burning the establishment down.
<P>------------------
Rick Zawadzki
<A HREF="http://barclayusa.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Barclay, U.S.A.</A> - Mediocrity at its finest!<P>"Egg!?!"
ZOMBIE USER 54
Regular Poster

Postby Nd on Wed Jan 10, 2001 12:36 pm

I thought I killed this thread. Damn.
Nd
Cartoon Hero

Postby Josh Phillips on Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael:
<B>Personally, I find Ilya to be an incredibly refreshing perspective on what is pretty much an ingrown community. Since we all know each other, I think everybody thinks it would be impolite to say anything too negative. There are plenty of toons I don't like. Instead of saying anything, of course, I just stop reading.<P>But when Ilya does one of these incredible pent-up raging rants about something I didn't particularly care for (or even something I do), it stirs something in my redneck genetic makeup, something that wants to spit some chaw through that gap where its front teeth used to be, kick a dog or two, and piss on the neighbor.<P>Call me recidivist, but that's entertainment. Ilya makes this place a lot more colorful -- and if you don't like him, well, <I>stop reading</I>.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What I find interesting is that entertainment and "criticism" don't go hand-in-hand in this instance. Ilya's work is specifically entertainment. I laughed like I haven't laughed in a long while when I first read his take on Avalon, and he's left me wanting for more. But someone who genuinely hated Avalon with the intensity of a thousand white-hot suns would not spend the effort of finding his thesaurus to say so.<P>If you really want to hurt an artist with your "critique," then don't bother thinking before you write. The more "real," the better. Michael, if you were to actually spit that dog and piss chaw through your neighbor, then the "ingrown community" would be shaken up, at the least. And not just because of your crazy pastimes. ;-)<P>So why is everyone who hates a comic so afraid of saying so? *Without* dressing it up as the latest audio play on CBC Radio 2? Give some *constructive* criticism, no matter how negative. Just make sure to say *why* you hate it, for pete's sake.<P>You too, Ilya. ;-)<P>JOSH.
<P>------------------
Josh Phillips - <A HREF="mailto:josh@avalonhigh.com">josh@avalonhigh.com</A>
Avalon - <A HREF="http://www.avalonhigh.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.avalonhigh.com</A>
Josh Phillips
Regular Poster

Postby Ripvanwormer on Wed Jan 17, 2001 9:10 am

Shockingly, I read both Aren't We Real voids and Common Grounds parasitical regularly. Trying to deconstruct the characterless shell pleasure they give me is difficult, but it's possibly an unwholesome fixation on the personalities of the authors the I call my "soul." as they show through in their work. Very different people, but perhaps they fill different in Maybe I like Ilya's columns for the same reason -- maybe he's the acerbic roaster part of me wants to be. Common Grounds doesn't have jokes in it; it's not a gag strip. The very first Common Ground strip doesn't seem to be intended to be funny in a Fox Trot/Hi and Lois or Far Side kind of way -- it just sets up the dynamic of the initial characters.<P>However, the Rubbles heckling section also found it necessary to put in their two cents worth after each song. There was plenty of time for it, too, as the members of the band often had to change instrumentation for their various songs. <P><p>[This message has been edited by ripvanwormer (edited 01-22-2001).]
Ripvanwormer
Regular Poster

Postby Ripvanwormer on Wed Jan 17, 2001 9:15 am

Also, Ilya gets major points for liking Pokey the Penguin. Sometimes I think that simple test might be the most important character test there is (there are only two kinds of people in the world: those who like Pokey and those who don't like Pokey).
Ripvanwormer
Regular Poster

Postby Ilya Olenskaya on Thu Jan 18, 2001 1:27 am

Hopefully Case will get that Macintosh, that way I can continue to occasionally do what I do. <P>Even if I do not, it is not that large of a deal. <P>Anyhoo, ciao.<P>-IO
I'm Eurotrash like that.
Ilya Olenskaya
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Aren't We Real