Ringu

Ringu

Postby AntiAntagonist on Thu Oct 17, 2002 2:29 pm

I just watched it, it was soo cool. Thought I'd watch it before the Americanized version that comes out tomorrow. Wow... Knowing what hollywood does on their re-makes, I don't know if I want to see it.

I don't know why I posted this, maybe to hear other peoples' reactions...
wow
As you go through life remember:
You will always get new friends and lose old friends, but it takes a special person to be your ultimate enemy!
AntiAntagonist
Regular Poster

Postby Kirk on Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:17 pm

I dunno what Ringu is :P
3 girls. One house.
Oh crap.

KW|FZ|SIS|MTC|ART
Kirk
Regular Poster

Postby Shinmyk on Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:21 am

me tuu
------
-Myk
Shinmyk
Regular Poster

Postby AntiAntagonist on Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:20 pm

Japanese horror film based on a novel. Basically if you like Silent Hill you'll like Ringu.
You will always get new friends and lose old friends, but it takes a special person to be your ultimate enemy!
AntiAntagonist
Regular Poster

Postby Kirk on Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:55 pm

I dunno what Silent Hill is :P
3 girls. One house.
Oh crap.

KW|FZ|SIS|MTC|ART
Kirk
Regular Poster

Postby Yamcha Hibiki on Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:04 pm

Actually AntiA, the movie is simply called "Ring", it's just the japanese pronounce it "Ring-u" cause they are weird like that (kinda' like how Captain Commando says "Captain Sword-o!" in MvC2. Anywho, it is a pretty cool japanese horror film that is being made into an American movie. Can't tell much about it without ruining a plot other than you see a tape and then you DIE!!! Ummm... yeah. As for Silent Hill, it's a popular survival horror video game franchise that from what I hear is actually pretty damn scary, but I haven't played any of them so I don't know.
Robbie "Yamcha Hibiki" Allen
Fusion D - A comic about a meglomaniac stripper catgirl who wants to destroy the world, or at least a big chunk of it. :D

Death Bunny - Because killing people is fun!
Yamcha Hibiki
Cartoon Hero

Postby AntiAntagonist on Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:41 pm

I've found the japanese film is easier to find if you spell it that way. That's also how they list it on <a href="http://www.imdb.com/">IMDB</a>.

I know that the plot is a simple idea, but then there's the investigation when they play the tape backwards and stuff. What are they gonna do say that there's some wierd town in the US called "Izu" and have some sort of volcano on an island. That and the Sadako's name in the eye. So while you could just do straight translations and try to change some of the stuff I've got a feeling that they might re-write the ending to fit it to the tastes of mainstream (re: happy; which is not beyond Hollywood), I remember them ruining The Lost World... eugh. They make a few good films a year, but frankly I'm tired by a lot of the stuff that they put out.
AntiAntagonist
Regular Poster

Postby Mutt on Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:12 pm

AntiAntagonist wrote:I've found the japanese film is easier to find if you spell it that way. That's also how they list it on <a href="http://www.imdb.com/">IMDB</a>.

I know that the plot is a simple idea, but then there's the investigation when they play the tape backwards and stuff. What are they gonna do say that there's some wierd town in the US called "Izu" and have some sort of volcano on an island. That and the Sadako's name in the eye. So while you could just do straight translations and try to change some of the stuff I've got a feeling that they might re-write the ending to fit it to the tastes of mainstream (re: happy; which is not beyond Hollywood), I remember them ruining The Lost World... eugh. They make a few good films a year, but frankly I'm tired by a lot of the stuff that they put out.

Actually from what I hear is they changed names and settings and the like. Like Sadako was renamed Samara. Forgot the other names that were given to the characters. And according to friends who have seen the Americanized version of the movie, it's actually pretty damn good and does the Japanese version some justice.

I just hope that if there's sequels, they don't go into the weird stuff like Sadako being a hermaphrodite and the reason the tape kills people is cuz of a deadlier version of small pox that was engineered by Sadako.
Mutt
Regular Poster

Postby AntiAntagonist on Fri Oct 18, 2002 8:36 pm

I think it's incredibly funny that the studios over in Japan jumped the gun when they made the first sequel to Ringu. They started making it while the first was still in production, and it turned out horrid (from what I hear.) Later on the director of the first Ringu made a sequel to Ringu (basically to do the same thing as horrid one, except good.)

I haven't been able to find Ringu anywhere with English subtitles on DVD with NTSC.

Heehee Sadako, our little evil biochemical sadistic genius kid.
AntiAntagonist
Regular Poster

Postby Mutt on Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:54 pm

AntiAntagonist wrote:I think it's incredibly funny that the studios over in Japan jumped the gun when they made the first sequel to Ringu. They started making it while the first was still in production, and it turned out horrid (from what I hear.) Later on the director of the first Ringu made a sequel to Ringu (basically to do the same thing as horrid one, except good.)

I haven't been able to find Ringu anywhere with English subtitles on DVD with NTSC.

Heehee Sadako, our little evil biochemical sadistic genius kid.

Yes, Razen (The first sequel to Ring) sucked much ass. From what I hear, the book version was utterly dull as well. I'm not sure about Ring 2 since I have yet to see it. From what I hear, it's a complete departure from the books, almost to having nothing to do with them.

As for finding them on DVD, I suggest getting the Taiwan ones. They're all-region and have subtitles, even though they're all Engrished to death.
Mutt
Regular Poster

Postby AntiAntagonist on Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:32 pm

I found a place that sells dvd's and vcd's from taiwan (<a href="http://www.pokerindustries.com/acatalog/">Poker Industries</a>), but it only has a PAL DVD (chinese and engrish subs) and a VCD (chinese sub.) I haven't been able to find it anywhere else on DVD except the Amazon UK site, but that's still in PAL. If I can I'd prefer to get a legal copy of the DVD (not because I fear lawyers, but rather I think the production should get the credit for the movie.)

I found a engrish subbed Knokcing on Heaven's Door. It was soooo ghetto! There were timing issues and mispellings and sentences that would end for no particular reason ALL OVER THE PLACE.

Oh yeah, I saw the movie! Basically it was ok... Not good not bad, just ok. There's only one scene that I'd have liked to see in the first one and that's the part with the horse on the ferry (which would be pretty unnerving if they hadn't given me the chance to step back and think about how stupid she was for continually pestering the horse.) Otherwise I totally prefer the japanese production.
AntiAntagonist
Regular Poster

Return to Fusion D