ok, help me out with today's strip.

Locked
ZOMBIE USER 8454
Regular Poster
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

ok, help me out with today's strip.

Post by ZOMBIE USER 8454 »

is it some archane British thing that i'll never understand? or is it just supposed to be taken at face value? or have i been working too much and i've become dull? or is it a celebration of onomatopeoia? or is it an allusion to something? or am i reading too deep into this?

ScottE
Regular Poster
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:10 pm
Location: Here.
Contact:

Post by ScottE »

Beats the heck out of me. Looked at it three times now.
Beware he who writes more than he reads.
--Harlan Ellison.

User avatar
W.M.Y.L.G. Joe
Regular Poster
Posts: 825
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:58 pm
Location: Cincinnati
Contact:

Post by W.M.Y.L.G. Joe »

Glad I'm not the only one who was rather lost...
"If you take a slam, get up and land that sucker. Don't let it beat you." - Anon.

"God has the power to heal smooshed brains." - Gloria Higginbottom

User avatar
Columbellidae
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 10:46 pm
Location: Buckeye State
Contact:

Post by Columbellidae »

Add me to the list. I believe that there's definitely some point to this strip, but I can't pin down exactly what it is. My subconscious is teasing me. :roll:
Carpe Diem - Seize the day
Carpe Noctum - Seize the night
Carpin Denium - There's a fish in my pants
Carpe ovum - Seize the egg
Cave Canem - Beware of the dog

User avatar
WolfFur
Regular Poster
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: New Castle, Pennsylvania

Post by WolfFur »

Is this just the sort of random event that is going to get his creativity blossoming?

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

Judging by the title of the story arc I'm just assuming he's having another of his dreams... However Alex is rather too surprised in the second panel for it to be a dream. Or maybe he's just hallucinating? Hence a picture of a Willys full of clowns and then (I think) the same clowns milling around outside...

...

No, honestly, I'm at a loss now that you've got my mind going. I just thought "hey, clowns in a willys, happens all the time," but why, what, where and who, errrr... I never usually try to think that far ahead. It's safer in the long run...

JimRob
Regular Poster
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Int. Night.
Contact:

Post by JimRob »

Heh heh.

There's one thing I will clear up; this strip is actually the start of a new story arc, but I haven't decided what to call it yet. But that's all I'm saying for now.

User avatar
Gloria
Regular Poster
Posts: 833
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Over yonder.
Contact:

Post by Gloria »

*is relieved*

I found it amusing.... I dunno why, though.
~Gloria~

Rennen
Regular Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:10 am

Post by Rennen »

Hm. Reminiscent of the old Larson strip, "Ship of Fools, Car of Idiots".

Does it have to "mean" something? Is it a mere segue into the beginning of the actual storyline? Who says it's a Willys?

Rennen

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

I say it's a Willys because I've been playing a hella' lot of Battlefield 1942. A good an excuse as any. I can't stop dreaming over an MG42 in my front lawn... Then again, I never remember ever not wanting an MG42 in my lawn. So maybe that's just me?


However that clown ve-hik-cle could be a custom, the Swedish Copy, the Chinease copy... Even a Light Landy, possibly?... Or it could quite simply be Generic... However, I'll stick to my Willys, they have the best knick name ^.^

User avatar
Bo Lindbergh
Regular Poster
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: 59°20'N 18°03'E

Post by Bo Lindbergh »

Are you sure this isn't another dream? I mean, a photographer whose car has the license number "200 ASA" finding two random people wanting to be photographed in the trunk of said car... 8)

User avatar
Ahayweh
Regular Poster
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:37 pm

Post by Ahayweh »

Is there any significance to the number 200 ASA? I have an idea that half the jokes in AF fly right over my uneducated little middle-schooler head, but that only makes it more interesting, really.
I've been enlisted to plug a webcomic called Strawberry Tokyo Girls (though it has nothing to do with strawberries and isn't set in Tokyo) because I color it, and the artist/writer doesn't have a net connection. So. Visit http://strawberry.keenspace.com so I can tell the artist I'm doing my job.

ZOMBIE USER 6611
Regular Poster
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Post by ZOMBIE USER 6611 »

Ahayweh wrote:Is there any significance to the number 200 ASA? I have an idea that half the jokes in AF fly right over my uneducated little middle-schooler head, but that only makes it more interesting, really.
200 ASA is a film speed, appropriate for more or less medium lighting and target speed conditions.

Generally, the faster the number, the better the film is at capturing moving objects. However, the trade-off is detail; the lower the number, the more suitable the image is for magnification.

User avatar
LAGtheNoggin
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2532
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: the sea side
Contact:

Post by LAGtheNoggin »

Hummm, intruiging... I'll get 350 ASA slapped on my imaginary TVR and .0045 ASA on my new spanking

Locked