Newcomers get maaaaaaad...

Postby Andrick on Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:36 pm

You gave a lecture on physics? Funny, I thought that little preamble we had barely touched the subject. :razz:

As for 'normal' it is a stated given among a group with a common denominator. Normal, for those of us reading this, is computer literacy, speaking english and social affluence because we use computers, convey most of our messages with at least an intermediate level of fluency in english and have the means to access the internet on at least a semi-regular basis.

Then again, Normal for this forum would include having been given a rabid mongoose as soon as one announces they've joined. Language is truly a slippery beast.

Umm...what was the question again?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andrick on 2002-03-23 13:14 ]</font>
Andrick
Cartoon Hero

Postby Quewerty on Sat Mar 23, 2002 8:30 am

I've known this forever!!!! ^^ yay!! Neverending cycle! If normalacy is abnormality (since as you know it is the majority) then what would be abnormal is normalacy so then it would be normal because of the rule stated before and... so on and so forth. ^^ I luv neverending circles!!!
Quewerty
Regular Poster

Postby John Flaherty on Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:44 pm

TO PRACTICALLY EVERYONE IN HERE

I ain't no English teacher or nothin'... but I think y'all are inventing those words!
John Flaherty, the Official Furfire Shonen-ai Matchmaker.
John Flaherty
Regular Poster

Postby Andrick on Sat Mar 23, 2002 1:12 pm

When in doubt about a word go here.
"I don't know why, but watching 12-year old Japanese girls flinging their school uniforms at each other was wildly entertaining." - Azrael, Japanese Exchange Teacher.
Andrick
Cartoon Hero

Postby Quewerty on Sun Mar 24, 2002 8:34 am

... or you could just go to http://www.DICTIONARY.com -_-;; Hmmm... wonder what its for... ^_^
I am a peanut. Fear Me.-ME!
Quewerty
Regular Poster

Postby Elemental on Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:12 am

It would seem that 'normal' for us also includes a skew towards the Philosophical...

...or at least toward lots of verbal buggery.
Elemental
Regular Poster

Postby John Flaherty on Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:00 pm

Wich language y'all think is the hardest to learn?
John Flaherty
Regular Poster

Postby Andrick on Sun Mar 24, 2002 12:18 pm

I'm sure you'uns might disagree but I believe it to be english. What other language can there possibly be which is required study for twelve years and most native speakers still get it wrong.

Th' english language has shown a remarkable ability t'frackure in hideous ways as kin be see, if yunto, hyar.
"I don't know why, but watching 12-year old Japanese girls flinging their school uniforms at each other was wildly entertaining." - Azrael, Japanese Exchange Teacher.
Andrick
Cartoon Hero

Postby Darthen Wulf on Sun Mar 24, 2002 11:49 pm

I don't think that English is the most difficult language to learn (Remember: I'm French!!!). French can be a true pain in the ass, if ya want to know... But I thinj that Latin and Ancient Greek are the worst of all. With german in third position.

I hate grammar... Yuck!
"I'll be your sexual freeeeak!!!"
--George Michael, 'Freeek'
Darthen Wulf
Regular Poster

Postby Silverfox_R on Mon Mar 25, 2002 6:49 am

don't you wish there was some sort of universal language - everyone understood?
<A HREF="http://furfire.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Furfire</A> Enter a new world
<A HREF="http://kimyako.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Baka Kimya-ko </A> Two heros - and a world that needs saving - from them!!
Silverfox_R
Regular Poster

Postby Andrick on Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:59 am

Darthen Wulf wrote:
I don't think that English is the most difficult language to learn...But I thin{k} that Latin and Ancient Greek are the worst of all. With german in third position.

English came from the mix of Latin and German. So if it's roots are in the #1 and #3 spot of your personal 'most difficult language to learn' list then why do you consider it easy? Far as I reckon you're the first non-native to say learning english isn't that hard.
Andrick
Cartoon Hero

Postby John Flaherty on Mon Mar 25, 2002 11:52 am

Maybe Russian and Japanese never passed through yer minds, huh?
John Flaherty
Regular Poster

Postby Zina on Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:50 pm

I'm taking Japanese right now. It's pretty easy because it, like spanish, has a system for conjegating(sp?) words into past tense, present tense and future tense. For example to go it 'ikimasu'. Went is 'ikimashite', Did he go? 'ikimasu ka' Going, 'itte imasu'. It's all very simple. English, however, does not have such as system. 'Go' and 'Went' are nothing like each other.

Also, English is probably the only language where we say a word and write it completely differently. You say 'thru', but you write 'through'. There are words that you say the same way, yet they have completely different meanings. 'new' and 'knew', for example.

Plus all those words that mean the same thing... 'Irk, get, bother, gall, vex, disturb, provoke, fret, annoy, chafe, peeve, nettle, exasperate, ruffle, irritate'... so on. They all mean the same damn thing. So why are there so many words for the same thing? I dunno...there just are.

English is also always changing...we add new slang words to our vocabulary every day. We change words so that they don't mean the same words that you learned back in English class. We use words that don't even exist, and I'll be damned if anyone actually speaks in perfect english. We butcher grammer and sentence structure in our converstations.

Everyone thinks they've mastered a language, that is until they go out and have a converstation with the native speakers. Then they realise how little they know...my sister studied spanish in a classroom for years. One day she finally went to Mexico and talked with the natives. It turns out the natives had NO idea what it was she was saying. The Spanish they taught her in the class room was like Shakespear to us. She learned more USEFUL Spanish there then they ever would teach her in a class room.

Lesson; English sucks. We should all learn sign language. The end.
<A HREF="http://zina.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Element's Song</A> -It's neat. And everyone likes neat things.
<A HREF="http://clad.keenspace.com" TARGET=_blank>Cute Li'l Anti-Christ Daiji</A> -cute anti-Christ fun!
Zina
Regular Poster

Postby John Flaherty on Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:10 pm

Well, if y'all wanna know my opinion, I think English and Portuguese from Brazil are very difficult to learn. Why? 'Cause both have words that have their origins from Indian language, have slangs, abreviations, and some words, even if they are written almost exactly, they mean different things, like 'push'. For us, at first, it means 'puxar', 'pull'. See?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: John Flaherty on 2002-03-25 14:12 ]</font>
John Flaherty
Regular Poster

Postby Elemental on Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:51 pm

All languages are PITAs. We need to start experimenting with drugs that will make us psychic. Heh. That'd be fun to watch.
Elemental
Regular Poster

Postby John Flaherty on Mon Mar 25, 2002 2:53 pm

Fine, ya do it, and we watch. :smile:
John Flaherty
Regular Poster

Postby Andrick on Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:21 pm

Oh goody! I get to use more bits of my heretofore unused, useless trivia! *ahem* if you've noticed the bizarre spellings of words and wondered how deveral conjunctions of letters went to create the myriad sounds in the english language we need only look at the root languages: Latin & German. German has a base of forty sounds in their language as Latin only had twenty four. However the Latin alphabet (based off Arabic) was applied to the hybrid English which consolidated to twenty six letters applied to forty four sounds; this left twenty sounds without a letter to represent them (as 'c' sounded like both 'k' and 's' while 'q' sounded like 'k' which is a waste). That is why, in elementary English, we were taught 'long' and 'short' pronounciations of vowels as well as wierd vowel combination sounds like both versions of 'oo' and the difference between the short 'o' sound, like in 'hot' and the 'shwa a', like in 'awful'.

But, in a nut shell, english is not concise nor would it be expedient if there were an attempt for it to be so. That's why there are lawyers who can translate pages of 'legalese' into an 'upshot' of three sentences.
Andrick
Cartoon Hero

Postby Darthen Wulf on Tue Mar 26, 2002 6:06 am

Well, well, well... Very interesting. But, only one question: Who bother? I mean, ALL languages were invented by humans for humans, to express feelings, or more prosaic things (such as cooking...). And here lay the genius of humanity: EACH language has a musical aspect, or an area in which things are better expressed. For example, go sing a love song in Spanish, and then, in German, and you'll see what I mean...

Personnal to Andrinck: In my Keyboard, 'J' is immediately near 'K'...
Darthen Wulf
Regular Poster

Postby Elemental on Tue Mar 26, 2002 5:10 pm

Well, the QWERTY keyboard design is the standard in the USA, that's for ccertain. Other countries no doubt have their own standards.
Or, alternatively, you might just have a non-standard board.
Elemental
Regular Poster

Postby Darthen Wulf on Wed Mar 27, 2002 12:36 am

Personnal to Elemental: The standard for Keyboards in Europe is the AZERTY, the sixth first letters on it. Sometimes, when games I play were programmed with QWERTY devices, I got some problems...

Qusetion: Why keyboards are build with such illogical order of letters as QWERTY or AZERTY? Nothing quite logic nor easy to handle. So WHY???

See you soon...
Darthen Wulf
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Element's Song