Really Bad Hairdo

Really Bad Hairdo

Postby Al_fayyed on Tue Jun 11, 2002 5:52 pm

This is here because Coolville has perhaps the best hairstyling in a comic ever.

My sister got her copy of Seventeen this month, and the cover was really distracting:
http://www.seventeen.com/allaccess/cover/index.html

What is up with Sarah Michelle Gellar's hair? She seems to have been attacked by a perm demon.

- Akhmed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

What?

Postby KathleenJ on Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:01 pm

Whatcha talkin bout? She looks okay! That hair's kind of nice! Are we looking at the same picture?
When you mentioned perm demons, I pictured something like this!
...and you like my comic hairstyling? How so?
I do kinda like to have fun with it. ^_^
and side note: I rue the day I made Damien bald. It's a bitch to draw, and not have it look like an alien cranium or something. I really like it in a few comics where I think I pulled it off and it looks cool, but mostly I don't, and I think if I could do it all again, I'd design him differently, and give him jet black hair. Maybe the classic comic kind with the blue highlights.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Bad and Good Hair

Postby Al_fayyed on Wed Jun 12, 2002 5:23 pm

I truly hate that kind of short, frizzy hair. Just looks awfully ugly to me. I think it may be that it highlights that Ms. Gellar isn't a natural blonde in a way her longer hair styles don't.

The short and curly thing really bugs the hell out of me, though. Although the "electrocuted" look is pretty bad, too.

I really love how the Coolville characters do play with their hair on occasion, and that their image is not defined by their hair (like a Sailor Moon character or something).

And Damien sort of has to be bald. It's like the end of The Wall, where Pink Floyd shaves off all his body hair.

- Akhmed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

give me down to there...HAIR!

Postby KathleenJ on Thu Jun 13, 2002 9:36 am

And Damien sort of has to be bald. It's like the end of The Wall, where Pink Floyd shaves off all his body hair.

Heh, y'know, that makes sense, in a strange kind of way that I can't quite explain!
As for hair, I try to keep a balance between recognizable iconographic hair a la Sailor Moon, and hair that's flexible and changeable.
Hair is one of my VERY favorite things to draw. It's just so nice and flowey, and it can take almost any shape you want it to, like a morphing alien blob.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Re: Bad and Good Hair

Postby Justinpie on Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:22 pm

al_fayyed wrote:I really love how the Coolville characters do play with their hair on occasion, and that their image is not defined by their hair (like a Sailor Moon character or something).

But sometimes you HAVE to give characters certain omnipresent hair traits, like pigtails and stuff, so you can tell them apart from their older, omnipotent selves when you can't draw good enough to otherwise show it!

I like how Kat follows timeline continuity with clothing and hairstyle and such, like the fact that, during Teresa's knockedup
Justinpie
Regular Poster

Re: Bad and Good Hair

Postby KathleenJ on Fri Jun 14, 2002 2:42 pm

justinpie wrote:I like how Kat follows timeline continuity with clothing and hairstyle and such, like the fact that, during Teresa's knockedup
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby Justinpie on Fri Jun 14, 2002 8:09 pm

Have you ever had someone who's not Dyl or Kris reuse something? Like one of Denny's shirts?
Justinpie
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Fri Jun 14, 2002 11:37 pm

Yes. Many times.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dalhar on Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:06 pm

In the bad hairdo department, I've seen the "amok with the shaver" hairdo Pepsi ad. A short cut with random stripes shaved in, just like someone's been running wild with a lawnmover.
But have anybpody ever seen such a cut where that "lawnmover strip" is somewhat wide, perhaps ten centimeters, shaved from stright front in the middle, over the top and then to the middle of the back? Like an inverse "punk classic"? Preferably with long or semi-long hair to the sides.
That would be particularly beautifil on men, wouldn't it?

Are we that scared of the implied baldness?
Dalhar
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:24 pm

Now that sounds like a Truly Bad Hairdo. What, it's like there's just a wide bald stripe along the middle of the head?
Like a reverse mohawk, kinda. :o
Heh, anyone remember in the late 80s when Archie comics made this whole effort to make Jughead 'hip', and they gave him one of those haircuts with the horizontal stripes shaved into it? Around the same era that Vanilla Ice was sporting a really volumized haircut with lightning bolts shaved in the sides.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dalhar on Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:26 am

Reverse mohawk. You got it! :D
Dalhar
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:09 pm

Gah, there was this huge article in the paper today about how mohawks are BACK, and I also saw something on TV about it. What's apparently very hip right now is something called a "faux-hawk".
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Pronunciation

Postby Al_fayyed on Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:17 pm

I saw an article like that too.

Although "faux-hawk" works best if you know French. Otherwise, when you try to make the two components rhyme, it sounds like an 80's action film, probably involving an experimental plane.

- Akhmed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Return to Coolville