Doesn't that Scooby movie look like the Worst Thing Ever?!

Doesn't that Scooby movie look like the Worst Thing Ever?!

Postby Justinpie on Mon May 06, 2002 12:11 pm

Well, doesn't it?
Let's get jinkie with it!
Justinpie
Regular Poster

It suuuuuure does!

Postby KathleenJ on Mon May 06, 2002 1:42 pm

Good God, yes.
Hee, check out the movie poster
http://us.imdb.com/ImageView?u=http%3A//images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JL35.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
...Although I did like Matthew Lillard in Scream as the total psycho...
"My mommy and daddy are gonna be SO MAD at me!"
...And hey, I didn't know that Rowan Atkinson was in it...interesting!
But yeah...the commercials for it are already getting on my nerves.
I grant it temporary Worst Thing Ever status, until something else comes along and claims the prestigious W.T.E. trophy.
...heh, now I feel like making an image of said trophy, to award
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

hee!

Postby Justinpie on Tue May 07, 2002 10:36 am

You should! And then like, send it to the webmaster of the movie's homepage, "allowing" them to put it up on their site!
Justinpie
Regular Poster

Scooby Doo

Postby Al_fayyed on Wed May 08, 2002 7:11 pm

Well, maybe Sara Michelle Gellar will kiss another girl again, like she did in Cruel Intentions. That would make the movie worth watching for me. That, and if there's a gunfight.

Blond chicks and gunfights...hey, that'll sell me on at least one viewing. Especially if they happen at the same time.

- Akhmed Al-Fayyed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Back like a bad a smell...

Postby Exit on Sun May 26, 2002 1:55 am

In the 20 mins of ads and trailers before Episode 2. I saw the new trailer for Scooby Doo...

(speaking in doo voice)
Rit really really rucks!!

But hey at least Matthew's got Shaggy's voice right. But the dog looks so fake, they could have used Henson Studio's to make a muppet puppet.

Anyone seen the live action movies for Archie? Josie and the Pussycats? Flintstones 1, 2, 3?

And I hate UK, we have to wait till June 14th to see Spiderman!!
Exit
Regular Poster

Wherefore art thou, Scooby Doo?

Postby KathleenJ on Sun May 26, 2002 8:57 am

That's insane that you apparently have to wait about a MONTH to see Spider-man in the UK!
This is clearly a "WTF?!" situation
Please, elaborate if you know more about this, because I can't figure out what the possible reason for opening huge movies way late in Europe could be.
But yeah, apart from the general crapitude of the trailers for Scooby Doo, I award points to the guy playing Shaggy, as he seems to have an excellent grasp on the subtleties of the character.
And Al-Fayyed, don't lose hope for a Cruel Intentions style kiss between Daphne and Velma! You know Hollywood...there was probably some screenwriter that felt they needed to "spice up" the material to appeal to the demographic of young guys.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Movies, the Scooby Trailer, etc.

Postby Al_fayyed on Sun May 26, 2002 11:15 am

I was always of the impression that movies are released later outside the United States so that the enterprising movie pirates across the oceans wouldn't get as much of a chance before the movie vanished here. I'm pretty sure that's why movies showed up four to five months later in Hong Kong.

My thought from watching the Scooby trailer were:
"They've updated everything except the van!"

I'm sorry, but they all have to be smoking the same fine Lebanese black hash that keeps Shaggy eternally with the Dao to think that a Volkswagen Rabbit-shaped vehicle in green and orange makes any sort of positive impression in the year 2002.

The A-Team would do something where the grill would fall down and AK-47's would just start sweeping the area. They did it at least twice in the show with their cool van, the one with the spoiler. Man, that would be a kickin' Mystery Machine.

- Akhmed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Postby Justinpie on Sun May 26, 2002 8:37 pm

Releasing movies later seems like an invitation for bootleggers. I mean, if I was the last area to see Spidey (how horrid, Exit!) I'd totally have found a VCD or something by now - at any cost.
Justinpie
Regular Poster

The Piracy Issue

Postby Al_fayyed on Mon May 27, 2002 9:30 pm

Back in the day in Hong Kong, when the Queen was still on the money and I went to prom in the Island Shangri-La, you could just walk in to parts of Sham Shui Po or Wanchai and see vendors with tables upon tables of bootleg digital everything. Software, VCDs, CDs -- if you could press it, it was there. There were even places where you could specify the software you wanted, and 15 minutes later, you'd get a CD with US$2000 worth of warez on it for oh, maybe US$5.

Any movie released in Hong Kong is immediately pirated. I'll bet you can get Episode II on DVD right now in HK if you know where to look. But it requires a cinematic release somewhere for there to be a pirate copy.

When the US is the biggest market, I assume that your friendly distribution companies write off the Far East and the EU to a certain extent if they can get the most important chunk of cash while the movie is still in the theaters (high ticket revenue means that Blockbuster buys several billion once it hits video -- critical for long-term profitablility). With a US release, a foreign pirate has to develop an overseas distribution chain -- and people in the United States more or less can just go to the theater, leaving cheap bastards the only ones who bootleg.

Which doesn't make anyone feel better, I guess, but at least you know it's done to keep the possibility open for more Spiderman films.

- Akhmed
Al_fayyed
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Tue May 28, 2002 11:52 am

Ah, pirates and bootleggers.
(and incidentally, Asia is also the part of the world in this day and age where you're most likely to have a run in with the other type of pirates - the deadly seafaring kind. I mean, if you're in a boat on the South China Sea or something. Not just, like, in a random convenience store)
So basically, they just write off those markets and concentrate on the American grosses?
Couple things that don't quite add up, although I know this is all true...
1) Once movies are released in Hong Kong or someplace, why would everyone rather buy a bunch of pirate copies (which are just likely as not to be of poor quality and have been recorded by some shitty method like taking a video camera into the movies) than just shell out a couple bucks and see it on a nice movie screen? I can understand internet piracy, because it's so convenient and free...but buying black market tapes just sounds like a pain. Is it expensive to go to the theater there?
2) Okay, I kind of understand the Far East, and how they can't control a lot of the underground markets there. But why Europe? Why Europe and not Canada? Do they do this in Mexico? Australia? South America?
This has me intrigued. Who are they to play God?
Meh, it's their movies. The industry can do what it wants.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby JPSloan on Wed May 29, 2002 11:38 am

Actually, there is a less glamourous reason that some movies take a while to reach other countries. It's all about rights.

Very often, when a screenplay or treatment is optioned or even bought outright, the foreign rights won't carry on the same contract. Foreign rights can be a significant cash cow for the creative forces behind a movie (generally the writers or the previous owners of the property), who rarely make much on the actual films. They will opt to withhold foreign rights.

The trick is, if a movie bombs, it may never go abroad. So, the producers and the studios have nothing holding them back from giving a film a launch in America. And if it did well, they made their money, and they renegotiate for foreign distribution... and that's when the smart person who kept their foreign rights makes their bankroll. This is very, very shrewd for certain properties with a major foreign backing... like all the Bond films.

However, the process is further screwed up when you're dealing with non-original creative rights... which is what Spiderman is. Marvel owns the rights, and went out of their way to keep most of them. They probably spent hours upon hours at the conference table working out exactly how many millions of dollars are going back to Marvel to get it in the UK and Europe.

Next week, how the steady-cam revolutionized location filming!
Ancient relic of a by-gone era.
JPSloan
Cartoon Hero

Postby KathleenJ on Wed May 29, 2002 3:48 pm

Ah, complexity!
And I'll be up to my neck in crap like that if I actually get into the film business someday! Fun-tastic!
Heh, and I could tell you ALL ABOUT various historical innovations in film that I had to know about for my Film Studies final...like the Cinematograph, and the Kinetoscope. Whee.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

But back to Rowan Atkinson...

Postby Ef on Fri May 31, 2002 7:09 pm

He had better be the guy under the mask! That alone would make that movie worthwhile, in my opinion. Just him cocking his head to the side with a cross-eyed expression and then possibly falling down some stairs because he is trying to get toilet tissue out from the back of his waistband.
Ef

Postby TheFish on Sat Jun 01, 2002 5:45 am

My friend already has both Spiderman and Episode II on DVD. Bootlegs of course, but impressive none the less.
TheFish
Regular Poster

yes indeedy

Postby KathleenJ on Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:55 am

Agreed about Rowan Atkinson!
That'd almost make the whole thing worth it, because I admit I have a fondness for Mr. Bean. I can picture that cross-eyed head tilt expression exactly.
And that DVD-age IS pretty impressive, bootleg as it may be.
Y'know what I can't wait for on DVD? The Lord of the Rings movie. I think that's coming out pretty soon, and I'm so going to buy it.
But I'm torn, since you just KNOW there's going to be some special set to buy once all three are out.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

smellovision

Postby Justinpie on Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:19 pm

Yeah, but what if by the time the boxed set comes out, the newest technological enhancements for DVDs are synthesized smells? I mean, some things should just be left in the fantasy realm!
Justinpie
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:58 am

*hides my Mines of Moria cologne*
...What?
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Re: smellovision

Postby Dalhar on Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:18 pm

justinpie wrote:Yeah, but what if by the time the boxed set comes out, the newest technological enhancements for DVDs are synthesized smells? I mean, some things should just be left in the fantasy realm!

Yeah, they've tried that with cinema now and then. Not much success, has it?

Imagine the video player.. With shuffles and nozzles for.. what? One hundred basic smells? Or could they fit the smells to the sensory organs exactly?
Far in the future, I hope.. What would your living room smell after, let's say a Black Adder marathon?

And about time to reach market.. Successful european films, when someone wants to introduce it to the american public, they have to do a remake of it. Make the whole film production over again. Put in some obligatory famous actors, explain things a bit more so everybody and his dog can get it ("you've never lost money by underestimating your public") and sometimes replace the ending with a happy crappy one.
(Excuse me, but while there's a lot of things great about america, I don't agree with everything. And I'm in a foul mood sometimes.)
That doesn't take a month or two, but more like a year.

[shameless plug]
One such film I can very much recommend, called "Elling" here, is about two guys who have just gotten out of asylum. One (Elling)has been hidden away in his mom's apartment for.. his first thirty years? He's extremely insecure and still can't live without some mother substitute or another.
The other, (Kjell Bjarne) grew up with an abusive dad, lets out his aggressions with banging his head in the wall, and is quite obsessed with anything sexual.
And they have to live on their in a town..
Very funny, in a good way.
I think it had its premiere a week or two ago.
[/shameless plug]
Dalhar
Regular Poster

Postby KathleenJ on Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:02 am

That also annoys me...the phenomenon where movies are redone in Hollywood. Whether it's a foreign film, or just an old movie they feel they need to 'update', they almost invariably dumb it down. Personally, I really like non-Hollywood movies. A lot of the time they seem very fresh because they're not as formulaic, and they tend to just have a different vibe to them.
And I love foreign movies that have subtitles, because honestly, I read better than I listen.
But that's a trade off. I like subtitles WAY better in a good, interesting movie. But if a movie sucks, subtitles are pure agony. You can't just kind of half listen and start drawing or something...you have to actually sit there, looking at it and reading it.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Postby KathleenJ on Sat Jun 08, 2002 10:09 am

ALSO...
Elling sounds pretty interesting. But, knowing the way things are, it probably won't be available here for a long time, and even then you'd have to do a whole wild goose chase through video stores to find it.
But then again, maybe not. I'll keep it in mind.
KathleenJ
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Coolville