Mr & Miss ComicGenesis Contest

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Mr & Miss ComicGenesis Contest

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm

So, I don't know what made me think of this, but I did.

Have you got some nice looking characters in your comic? Think they deserve an award for it? Then this is the contest for you!

I introduce the 2011 Mr and Miss ComicGenesis Contest, where you can find out if your characters have what it takes in the shallow good looks department!

This contest is broken down into three elements- (1) an interview, so we can get to know your character(s) personally, (2) formalwear, so we can see your character(s) dressed for success, and of course, (3) the lingerie/swimsuit challenge, so we can superficially judge them based on their bodies.

The rules-
-You don't need to host your comic on ComicGenesis in order to enter, although it is preferred, given the contest title, but we've such a preciously small community it doesn't seem necessary to bar outsiders.

-I'll say each person can submit two characters, that way you can enter one male and one female, or two of just one kind if you feel better inclined. If there doesn't turn out to be too much interest, we can up the number of allowed characters so that, I dunno, so it's more fun or something.

-I'm not sure how voting is going to work out, whether we do it as a poll or just posting votes within a thread. I was considering a panel of judges, but I think popular vote would be better.

There are three titles that can be won (at least for now, unless someone suggests any more) : The Nice Face Award, the Hot Body Award, and the Inner Beauty Award (because let's face it, some of these characters have really sexy personalities.)

Winning artists win... uh... fanart or something.

So, who wants to play with me? Anybody have some suggestions?
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Re: Mr & Miss ComicGenesis Contest

Postby Tim on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:33 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Anybody have some suggestions?

My suggestion is to look back to old threads when we've done these pageants before, and see how they were run ;) Though I'm all for someone taking up the mantle of running them again. For the record, we had also started a "Thing ComicGenesis" for those characters that didn't quite fall into the first two categories.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 pm

Tim wrote:
VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Anybody have some suggestions?

My suggestion is to look back to old threads when we've done these pageants before, and see how they were run ;) Though I'm all for someone taking up the mantle of running them again. For the record, we had also started a "Thing ComicGenesis" for those characters that didn't quite fall into the first two categories.

You know, I creeped through the archives a long time ago, but did not remember seeing anything of this sort. I shall go look now, though.

And good idea on that last one!

Edit oh wow I just searched pageant and that's the first hit. :oops: I mean, there hasn't been one since 2008, so... I don't know what, just that there hasn't been one since then. I like the structure but think maybe it could be fiddled with. Of course, it all depends on if there are any takers, otherwise i'll drop this and it will roll under the rug like nothing ever happened.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby VinnieD on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:45 pm

I'd be game for it. A wave of apathy has hit the webcomic world in general, and I think we need both old timers and new blood to get involved and keep these traditions alive. Plus it's an excuse to draw chicks.
VinnieD
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:13 am

I'm in. We need a contest at the moment.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Spaceprincess on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:48 am

sounds cool, count me in.

you might want to make it shorter and combine rounds. people seem to lose interest if a contest runs too long.
Spaceprincess
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Spaceprincess wrote:sounds cool, count me in.

you might want to make it shorter and combine rounds. people seem to lose interest if a contest runs too long.

Awesome! even though we all know you'll win :P And yeah, I definitely want to keep this concise, probably just one round would do, you know, one big vote with all the categories included.

I figure anyone who wants to be involved, just to set an arbitrary date, let me/us know by April 15th. Then we can get shit started and say that the contest itself will happen at the latest by May 15th, unless everyone wants the date to be sooner. Whatever conditions work best with all the particpants is fine by me.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:30 pm

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:
Spaceprincess wrote:sounds cool, count me in.

Awesome! even though we all know you'll win :P

Come on now everyone has a decent chance, Spaceprincess isn't the only one around here who can draw scantily clad girls.

Ah who am I kidding....
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Derek Dragomir on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Oh, this sounds exciting! Count me in.

So... we can submit a girl and a boy for each title? Right now that'd be a total of six different drawings. Am I wrong?
Image Image
PKMN White: 4470 0543 5339
Derek Dragomir
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Derek Dragomir wrote:Oh, this sounds exciting! Count me in.

So... we can submit a girl and a boy for each title? Right now that'd be a total of six different drawings. Am I wrong?

I would say two total, but those two would be eligible to win all three categories. Although maybe we could break it down further, like you said, and have people enter separate characters for each category. I'm not sure if that'd get too cluttered, but it doesn't seem like there will be an overabundance of participation, and more options means more fun, right? RIGHT??

Right now we have 5 (6 if Tim is joining us) artists participating, so if each person does submit six, that's 30-36 total, or 12 for each category (6 for each gender, unless we also include the agendered creatures). Does that sound like too much? Enough? I'm not sure if other people are going to be joining us as well.

Perhaps I should have thought this through better :x
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Derek Dragomir on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:20 pm

I would say two total, but those two would be eligible to win all three categories. Although maybe we could break it down further, like you said, and have people enter separate characters for each category. I'm not sure if that'd get too cluttered, but it doesn't seem like there will be an overabundance of participation, and more options means more fun, right? RIGHT??

Right now we have 5 (6 if Tim is joining us) artists participating, so if each person does submit six, that's 30-36 total, or 12 for each category (6 for each gender, unless we also include the agendered creatures). Does that sound like too much? Enough? I'm not sure if other people are going to be joining us as well.

Y-yea... sorry to say but that does seem like a lot of drawings to go through. I'm not sure if I have time to submit so many. Not saying that other people won't as well. This could use some polishing, yes.
Image Image
Derek Dragomir
Regular Poster

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Derek Dragomir wrote:

Y-yea... sorry to say but that does seem like a lot of drawings to go through. I'm not sure if I have time to submit so many. Not saying that other people won't as well. This could use some polishing, yes.

Well, it would be optional, you'd only have to submit as many as you'd be comfortable with :) otherwise it would just be silly. That's why I was originally thinking of just sticking with two (of whatever gender/nongender you choose), and they'd be eligible to win any category. Like maybe the character you'd thought would be a big hit body-wise turns out to have the nicest face instead.

So what do we say, two from each participant? And each of those two are eligible for each section of the contest?

Once we get all the preliminary poopskins prepared I'll start a new thread so it will be clean and sheyny.
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Forsakenstars on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm

What about a talent competition? That'd be good for characters who have powers, or talents like riding a unicycle or juggling or dancing.

And if you think it's too many pics to draw, you can submit just one character, either one male or one female. Then you'd only have three pictures--formal wear, talent and swimwear--and the interview. It would be great if the interviews were videos or audio files! :)

Oh, and I'm in. Probably with Captain Sera. Or Azzi. Fabius is vain, but I don't think he knows it yet. Haven't quite decided.
Starring The Vampire Azzi & Captain Sera Besh. Updates Mon and Thurs.
Forsakenstars
Regular Poster

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 am

VeryCuddlyCornpone wrote:Perhaps I should have thought this through better :x

My suggestion is to run this like they've run them in the past.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Adorabledesolation on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:56 am

Can I join in? This sounds like fun.
Oh hey lookit. My banner's been approved! Adorable Desolation
Adorabledesolation
Regular Poster

Location: I not only drive the short bus, I'm also a passenger!

Postby Derek Dragomir on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 am

Y'know what? The lazy me prefers the idea of just submitting one drawing for one male and one female character, and have them eligible for all categories. The non-lazy me thinks it's an interesting idea to draw his characters in different outfits for each category.

So here's my suggestion. Have a certain amount of categories, not too many (five maybe?). People can submit to as many categories as they wish, making sure of course that the drawings match the categories they enter, so say a Morning Cereal category would have to be something like their character just woke up in their sleepwear having their breakfast... or something. And the higher they rank in a category, the more points a character gets towards being nominated Mr. or Ms. ComicGenesis. My idea for voting would be having different threads for each category. These threads would be linked to from the original Mr. & Ms. ComicGenesis thread. We would also have to give time for people to work on their entries... at least I would need some time. I mean, the entries don't have to be elaborate, it's just I'm busy with work, lol.

There's a few holes in this though - if you don't submit to all the categories, you won't get as many points as you could've gotten if you did. So it's really a matter of effort I suppose, and how much you care about being nominated Mr. and Ms. And it's fine if you just want to win in some categories too though, no one would judge you, lol.

Another thing is if we get a tie for Mr. and Ms. I'm thinking we could just submit characters in their usual wear and have people vote on who they'd like to win.

Also, should we stick to just one character for all categories, both male and female? In other words, I feel like it would be less cluttered, and probably fit my idea better if for example, I decided to submit my character Drake for one category, and if I submit to anymore categories, I would have to submit Drake again instead of another character, otherwise it wouldn't be the same character accumulating points. The only way I see this working with different character submissions is if we make Mr. and Ms. CG a category of its own that we would vote for after all other categories would have been voted for.

And in terms of prizes, it was mentioned that winners would get fan art. I simply LOVE that idea, but it would be nice if we had different artists drawing differently for each rank (1st, 2nd 3rd). So for example for basic categories:

1st place would get fan-art by Dr. Robotnik in cell-shaded full-color, full-body or from waist up with a simple background.
2nd place would get fan-art by Grounder in black & white cell-shaded (or tone-shaded), full-body or from waist up with simple background. And finally...
3rd place would get fan-art by Scratch, lineart-only from waist up or portrait shot.

Mr. & Ms. CG would have better prizes of course, like 1st place would get a fully colored, nicely shaded with any kind of background, plus a trip to the borders of Fantasia! Or should we even have ranks for Mr. and Ms. CG? Maybe it's better to just have one winner, instead of ranked winners?
Image Image
Derek Dragomir
Regular Poster

Postby Tim on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 am

This is how it was run before:

- Each person can submit one character per category (Mr / Miss / Thing). I forget how people with multiple comics were handled - I'd say, one character per category per comic, if you were up to it.
- You had to submit at least two pictures of the character: one in formal attire, and one in a swimsuit (I think a winterwear option was introduced if you could never imagine your character in a skimpy outfit).
- There were three questions the character (not you) had to answer. These questions were usually chosen by a third party (ie. some random person from the chatroom). Bonus points if your character answers the questions in comic form (especially helpful for characters that don't speak).
- Once the deadline has passed and all the entries are in, poll threads were set up to determine the winners.
- In the past, the winners won...the glory of knowing they won that year.

It's doubtful that I'd participate this year, since I've been on way-too-damn-long hiatus. Not implausible, but doubtful.
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:04 am

Tim wrote:It's doubtful that I'd participate this year, since I've been on way-too-damn-long hiatus. Not implausible, but doubtful.

Come on now we want a positive attitude Tim - just say yes!

wait a sec...why the heck am I trying to create more competition?...oh well
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Risky on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 am

What Tim said. 2nd place gets nothing. You draw 1 winterwear / formal pic, 1 swimwear / lingerie pic, answer 3 questions (what are your talents? what are your thoughts on abe lincoln?), one entry per contest, three contests total : Mr, Ms, Thing. 1st place gets bragging rights only.

I mean, if you want to vary from that, I can't argue with things like prizes... people like prizes... but simpler seems better. It's also not just about who is the sexiest or whatever, it's who we want to represent us.
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Derek Dragomir on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:59 am

Tim wrote:It's doubtful that I'd participate this year, since I've been on way-too-damn-long hiatus. Not implausible, but doubtful.
I'm in the same situation... but now slowly making my return. So I believe I can participate.

I think we should vote for the different aspects of how this contest should run.
Image Image
Derek Dragomir
Regular Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion