Livejournal Thread 4: Can't kill what's already dead inside

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Livejournal Thread 4: Can't kill what's already dead ins

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 pm

True. I avoid it mostly but every now and then, as if by summoned by full moon, I feel the urge.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:58 am

Okay it's been a month so I'm not breaking my promise but seriously...

...How the FUCK did Daft Punk win Album of the Year over Taylor Swift?
Daft Punk haven't released a good album since Discovery and this album was basically a shitty soundtrack to a dreadful movie.

Plus they put Swifty on almost all the promotional material for the award show and she won nothing? WTF?

*deep breaths* Okay, venting over, fuck it she has 7 GRAMMYs already, (including being the youngest ever to win Album of the Year).
Now I just have to avoid "news" sites for the next month because they're ripping her apart for getting a little pre-emptively excited.

On a completely separate note I have had 2 people in less than a week spit in the money tray after I refused them service for being rude pricks (which I guess is kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy).

EDIT: I realise it's weird I get more upset over what happened to Swifty than the myriad of shitheads I have to deal with but that's just how I am I guess.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:48 am

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Okay it's been a month so I'm not breaking my promise but seriously...

...How the FUCK did Daft Punk win Album of the Year over Taylor Swift?
Daft Punk haven't released a good album since Discovery and this album was basically a shitty soundtrack to a dreadful movie.

Plus they put Swifty on almost all the promotional material for the award show and she won nothing? WTF?

*deep breaths* Okay, venting over, fuck it she has 7 GRAMMYs already, (including being the youngest ever to win Album of the Year).
Now I just have to avoid "news" sites for the next month because they're ripping her apart for getting a little pre-emptively excited.

On a completely separate note I have had 2 people in less than a week spit in the money tray after I refused them service for being rude pricks (which I guess is kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy).

EDIT: I realise it's weird I get more upset over what happened to Swifty than the myriad of shitheads I have to deal with but that's just how I am I guess.

The only thing I noticed about the Grammys was Anna Kendrick's dress. I'm sure "Swifty" looked gorgeous too.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby McDuffies on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:26 am

RobboAKAscooby wrote:...How the FUCK did Daft Punk win Album of the Year over Taylor Swift?

I beg to differ. The kind of overwhelming positive feedback by both critics and audience, I think that it was pretty expected that they'd get some major awards. Noone could say "I've never heard of this Daft Punk" like they did with Arcade Fire. That kind of trumps Get Lucky was one of the best songs you could hear played on the radio last year, and I'm seriously thankful that they made radio occasionally listenable.
If it sounds like "shitty soundtrack to a dreadful movie", in this age that only means that it's postmodern. "Digging diamonds from the trash" has been a celebrated practice ever since "Reservoir Dogs", it's not some new trend that will pass in a year or two.
Daft Punk are a couple of serious musicians who constantly experiment and expand their sound, and each of their albums shows artistic growth. Their last album was unappreciated, but it was good. I kinda like that they got some acknowledgement, albeit perhaps for an album that I like less. I'm not particularly fond of disco, but I realize that there is quality even in kinds of music that I don't like. Taken from people who understand disco better than I do - "Random Access Memories" is as good as disco can be.
In any case, even if it's merely a decent album, it's still far superior to the likes of who usually get Grammies. Plus I think it was way cool how they received the award in their full gear and silent. Preserve the mystique. :wink:

By the way, Grammies suck big times. All awards are arbitrary and dubious, even the likes of Nobel prize and Palm D'Or have more mistakes and embarrassments than you can count. But Grammys, they are scraping the bottom of the award barrel. There's only one award that I can think of equaling Grammys in disreputability. Grammys seem to be so dedicated to validating awful, shallow and fleeting, than any legit musician getting the award is nothing short of miracle.
Consequently, Grammys are not worth the second thought, let alone being upset about.

Furthermore, being upset about results of any award equals basically to trying to force your niche interests onto others. See - I know that the likes of Joanna Newsom or Decemberists may never win a major award. It doesn't upset me. I believe that they will be listened to long after Katy Perry and One Direction have been forgotten, and I think that is a bit more important. I'm aware that my interests are niche and I don't get outraged every time I'm reminded of that fact.
I mean, I think that you should not be surprised or annoyed if most of people don't share your obsession with Taylor Swift.

Edit:
Except that they do. If I was getting upset about Grammys, I would probably be upset that she has seven of them. She's not that good.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:23 am

Sorry McD I know I'm extremely biased/invested in Swifty. I'll try to rein it in a bit in the future.

I would argue the "not that good" point but I'd rather not go on a big rant over all this.

I'd say my major disappointment with the whole GRAMMY situation is just how much they used her image to promote the thing and then gave her nothing except another opening for the absolute mass of cyberbullying (and media bullying) she has to put up with.

But you're right awards really don't mean much, though I am more impressed by the songwriting awards than the popularity ones.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby MariaAndMichelle on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:44 am

McDuffies wrote:If I was getting upset about Grammys, I would probably be upset that she has seven of them. She's not that good.

This.
You're just jealous because you can't get away with speaking in the third person...

Image Image
MariaAndMichelle
Cartoon Henchgirls

Postby Warren on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 am

I think Taylor's a cute girl, and a competent singer... but yeah, awards shows never had any effect on what I listen to.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

------------------------------
Proudly despised by ex-wives since 2008.
Lauren's Wing - The fund for animal care
Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:40 pm

I need more confidence.
Both in general and in my work.
Lately I've been getting a lot of compliments on my drawings from customers (and a few of the local cops) and I just really don't know how be all nonchalant and "thank you" about it I always invariably wave it away with a "well I'm trying" sort of comment.
Simple fact is I'm well aware of how poor my art skills are and a lifetime of bullying and depression doesn't really lend itself to large amounts of self assurance.

But that's just me.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 pm

When I finished grad school in '08 I never ever expected to be back in school. I hated school. I hated school so very much. I like going to work. I like going in, doing a good job, coming home and not thinking about work. No tests, no homework, no crap like that. Pharmacy school is so much worse than any other school I've ever had. It's given me high blood pressure, anxiety, acid reflux, depression, and whole host of other problems, not to mention eating my free time and my not free time. In 90 days I will be done with the academic portion of Pharmacy school and will just have a year of paying for the privilege to work at various Pharmacy sites. When this is done I will be much more employable than I was before and I will have two doctorates behind my name (or, in front of, i guess, but Dr. Dr. sounds silly, unless it's followed by "give me the news, I've got a bad case of loving you."). 90 days. Four sets of grueling exams, the first of which is this weekend. I've never been so beaten down and demoralized in my life, and all I actually need to do is pass, C's are okay, no one cares about my grades away, but still. I hate this so much. 90 days.
-D. M. Jeftinija Pharm.D., Ph.D. -- Yes, I've got two doctorates and I'm arrogant about it, what have *you* done with *your* life?
"People who don't care about anything will never understand the people who do." "yeah.. but we won't care."
"Legostar's on the first page of the guide. His opinion is worth more than both of yours."--Yeahduff
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Dr Legostar wrote:When I finished grad school in '08 I never ever expected to be back in school. I hated school. I hated school so very much. I like going to work. I like going in, doing a good job, coming home and not thinking about work. No tests, no homework, no crap like that. Pharmacy school is so much worse than any other school I've ever had. It's given me high blood pressure, anxiety, acid reflux, depression, and whole host of other problems, not to mention eating my free time and my not free time. In 90 days I will be done with the academic portion of Pharmacy school and will just have a year of paying for the privilege to work at various Pharmacy sites. When this is done I will be much more employable than I was before and I will have two doctorates behind my name (or, in front of, i guess, but Dr. Dr. sounds silly, unless it's followed by "give me the news, I've got a bad case of loving you."). 90 days. Four sets of grueling exams, the first of which is this weekend. I've never been so beaten down and demoralized in my life, and all I actually need to do is pass, C's are okay, no one cares about my grades away, but still. I hate this so much. 90 days.

Good luck Dr. Dr.

And afterwards you can fix yourself something for the stress?
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:32 am

RobboAKAscooby wrote:Sorry McD I know I'm extremely biased/invested in Swifty. I'll try to rein it in a bit in the future.

Well don't go to other extreme either.
You shouldn't apologuise for your taste, you haven't offended anyone by rooting for music you like.
If you vent like you did in any place that is not a Taylor Swift fan forum or something like that, someone's bound to reply "I disagree". If you can stand to hear people disagreeing, say whatever you like. If you can't stand it, don't say something that'll provoke people, not because of other people, but rather to spare yourself of annoyance - at least that's my approach. But everyone should be able to stand it, cause it's just music, right?

I would argue the "not that good" point but I'd rather not go on a big rant over all this.

I don't mean to say she's not good or anything. I mean, if Grammy was a relevant award, then I assume seven of those wold eventually be awarded to those that are really universally acknowledged as the greatest, say, Bowie or Dylan, otherwise that'd just mean they're throwing those awards around indiscriminately.

When I finished grad school in '08 I never ever expected to be back in school. I hated school. I hated school so very much. I like going to work. I like going in, doing a good job, coming home and not thinking about work. No tests, no homework, no crap like that. Pharmacy school is so much worse than any other school I've ever had. It's given me high blood pressure, anxiety, acid reflux, depression, and whole host of other problems, not to mention eating my free time and my not free time. In 90 days I will be done with the academic portion of Pharmacy school and will just have a year of paying for the privilege to work at various Pharmacy sites. When this is done I will be much more employable than I was before and I will have two doctorates behind my name (or, in front of, i guess, but Dr. Dr. sounds silly, unless it's followed by "give me the news, I've got a bad case of loving you."). 90 days. Four sets of grueling exams, the first of which is this weekend. I've never been so beaten down and demoralized in my life, and all I actually need to do is pass, C's are okay, no one cares about my grades away, but still. I hate this so much. 90 days.

You have chosen a difficult path for yourself, what with all those doctorates and all. Still, being a Dr Dr is awesome.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:58 am

McDuffies wrote:
RobboAKAscooby wrote:Sorry McD I know I'm extremely biased/invested in Swifty. I'll try to rein it in a bit in the future.

Well don't go to other extreme either.
You shouldn't apologuise for your taste, you haven't offended anyone by rooting for music you like.
If you vent like you did in any place that is not a Taylor Swift fan forum or something like that, someone's bound to reply "I disagree". If you can stand to hear people disagreeing, say whatever you like. If you can't stand it, don't say something that'll provoke people, not because of other people, but rather to spare yourself of annoyance - at least that's my approach. But everyone should be able to stand it, cause it's just music, right?

Oh I'll never apologize for my taste but I do recognize that sometimes it can get on people's nerves if I talk about her too much. It's the same as when I'm stuck listening to people talk about their sports team.
And really I don't mind the disagreement, taste is subjective.

It will probably surprise you to know I'm not an active participant in any of the Swift fan forums, twitter is about the only place I'm active in the fandom. But that comes down to the fact I've never been the kind of TOTAL obsessive that can be part of any fandom.

McDuffies wrote:

I don't mean to say she's not good or anything. I mean, if Grammy was a relevant award, then I assume seven of those wold eventually be awarded to those that are really universally acknowledged as the greatest, say, Bowie or Dylan, otherwise that'd just mean they're throwing those awards around indiscriminately.

Eh, I'm sure Swifty will join that list in a decade or so, especially if she releases more songs like "All Too Well" and less like "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together".

On the subject of Daft Punk though, I dug out my copy of Interstellar 5555 today, it's an awesome piece of storytelling, Leiji Matsumoto's animation/art style is truly iconic.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm

McDuffies wrote:You have chosen a difficult path for yourself, what with all those doctorates and all. Still, being a Dr Dr is awesome.

Plus working in a Pharmacy yields all kinds of fantastic stories.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Warren on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Dr Legostar wrote:
McDuffies wrote:You have chosen a difficult path for yourself, what with all those doctorates and all. Still, being a Dr Dr is awesome.

Don't forget about the free hallucinogens.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 pm

Warren wrote:
Dr Legostar wrote:

Don't forget about the free hallucinogens.

Hallucinogens are never free.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Warren on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:20 pm

Employee discount?
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby Dr Legostar on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:59 pm

Warren wrote:Employee discount?

10% off.
Dr Legostar
Cartoon Villain

Postby Warren on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:13 am

So still a party then.
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

Warren
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Wait until Friday night
i said
Wait to type your script Friday night
even though you want to do it now
i said
Wait so that way you can stay up late if you want
i said

It's Friday night

:/
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Warren on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 pm

It's Friday night again!

Annnnnnd......
I started to balance my checkbook, and am washing my sheets!

Taste the excitement!
Warren
Comics. Drawn poorly.

Warren
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion