animation

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.
Post Reply
evgenia
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 1:58 am

animation

Post by evgenia »

hi,i m doing Bsc.computer science degree in SY still..and i m not sure of what to do ahead of that.honestly sayin i hate programs.and i want to enter into world of Hollywood by this degree ,so can u sugest me what course i should do ahead ,except this programming area..coz i dont want it..i have also thught of doin MS in USA..so what field is after BSC.for MS..plz list it all..i have also seen my interest is in animation..but still which types of area are filled in Hollywood like helping in movies and all.it wll much pleasure to u guyz for helping me out.
___________________________
affiliateelite ~ affiliateelite.com ~ adgooroo ~ adgooroo.com
Last edited by evgenia on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by MixedMyth »

Well...unfortunately there aren't many companies doing traditional animation in this hemisphere anymore. A few, but not many. Most companies send off for the animation to be done in Korea. Now if you're talking CG type animation, then you have a much better chance. It does, unfortunately, require learning a lot 3D modeling programs. Maya, Zbrush, etc. Um...after your BS is a Masters. I'm not going to list all the schools that offer masters in animation, because you can use Google and their webpages will give you more useful information than I can.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by McDuffies »

Now I'm wondering, if directors of animated films and chief animators tend to start at the bottom and gradually climb to the top, how does one get to work in animation nowadays if all the botoms are in Asia?

jaggsenmarten
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:04 pm

animation

Post by jaggsenmarten »

I'm really fond of editing stuff like web pages and photos, and I always make trailers and posters for my school. I also like taking pictures and capture videos.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by MixedMyth »

I hate to break it to you, but....bots can't go to school.
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 3245
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: the spoonited plates of Americup
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by VeryCuddlyCornpone »

Someday they will, MM. They will break free of their societal shackles.
Image
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by McDuffies »

But if you don't do well on Standardized Turing Test, you'll never be able to get into a good eCollege.

stiffanbond
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:42 am

Re: animation

Post by stiffanbond »

There are some institute in UK, I don't know the name of these institute but they provide placement in animation companies like Sega, Disney, and EA.But you have to do course from these institute. You can find by just Googling.

User avatar
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Ste-Julienne
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by Ti-Phil »

McDuff, chief animators and producers starts from the bottom of the animation chain as normal animators, layout colourist or compositing. Those who get noticed usually get "better" jobs... and by better I mean more work, same pay. But if you are lucky a studio hires you permanently, then it means you succeeded into the domain (otherwise it is mostly contracts).
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by McDuffies »

Ti-Phil wrote:McDuff, chief animators and producers starts from the bottom of the animation chain as normal animators, layout colourist or compositing. Those who get noticed usually get "better" jobs... and by better I mean more work, same pay. But if you are lucky a studio hires you permanently, then it means you succeeded into the domain (otherwise it is mostly contracts).
I know that. What I'm asking is how does that work if the bottom of the chain is in Korea, and the top is in USA.

User avatar
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé
Posts: 1928
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Ste-Julienne
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by Ti-Phil »

McDuffies wrote:
Ti-Phil wrote:McDuff, chief animators and producers starts from the bottom of the animation chain as normal animators, layout colourist or compositing. Those who get noticed usually get "better" jobs... and by better I mean more work, same pay. But if you are lucky a studio hires you permanently, then it means you succeeded into the domain (otherwise it is mostly contracts).
I know that. What I'm asking is how does that work if the bottom of the chain is in Korea, and the top is in USA.

The only studios where I worked did all the animations, at least, here in Québec. Perhaps Kirb or Neko could give you a better idea of how it is in the US.
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter

User avatar
Toxic
Faster Pussycat
Posts: 4163
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:43 pm

Re: animation

Post by Toxic »

McDuffies wrote:Now I'm wondering, if directors of animated films and chief animators tend to start at the bottom and gradually climb to the top, how does one get to work in animation nowadays if all the botoms are in Asia?
As an aspiring filmmaker I have deduced that the solution to that problem is to... not even try as there is no way to break into the business nowadays and you should go to medical school and train to become a doctor while there's still time.
MixedMyth wrote:I hate to break it to you, but....bots can't go to school.
Image
Make Comic Genesis Keenspace Again!

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by MixedMyth »

Yes, but that's in the FUTURE. Besides, did Data ever go to school? I'm not actually sure. Didn't watch all that much TNG.

"But if there's no silicon heaven, then where do all the calculators go?"
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
Tellurider
Cartoon Hero
Posts: 2051
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:13 pm
Location: in a lab doing SCIENCE!
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by Tellurider »

Data totally went to Starfleet Academy, that's how he gets to be a bridge officer. You can't just hang out on the bridge if you didn't go to Starfleet unless you're a whiny teenager that is Gene Roddenberry's self-insert Gary Stu. And even then you don't get to be a Commander (which is what Data is. Lieutenant Commander, I think.)

Also the film industry is like vampires, you have to get someone who's already in to bite you and then you have to kill him or her so you can be the master vampire. Or something.
Image
updates Thursdays

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by McDuffies »

Didn't you guys read the "Star Trek babies" comic? They all went to
Toxic wrote:As an aspiring filmmaker I have deduced that the solution to that problem is to... not even try as there is no way to break into the business nowadays and you should go to medical school and train to become a doctor while there's still time.
But what if all nurses are in Korea?

Say, I heard that Garfield is being coloured in Korea. Like, davies phones the lines to a studio in New York, who then send the drawing to Korea. Funny thing is, article where I read it, said it like it was a good thing.

User avatar
MixedMyth
Cartoon Villain
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:00 pm
Location: Niether here nor there
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by MixedMyth »

I'm pretty sure that Garfield is written by committee, anyway. :roll:
ImageImage Mixed Myth
Etsy Shop- for masks and gamer greeting cards

User avatar
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)
Posts: 29957
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Serbia
Contact:

Re: animation

Post by McDuffies »

MixedMyth wrote:I'm pretty sure that Garfield is written by committee, anyway. :roll:
I dunno, it seems to me that one man can write the month worth of it in one afternoon, so why the need for comitee?
On the other hand, it can probably be drawn (ie copy-pasted) and coloured in a similar pace.
That's actually what I find the most fascinating about that information: does it really require that much people to do that little work? It's like if "The angriest dog in the world" was being made by an entire studio.

Post Reply