The ability to quickly imagine, draw, and replicate an image is a key skill to being a cartoonist. It's a skill that comes with practice, and I think there should be more web drills to fulfill that end.
So here we are.
The idea is this: We agree on one hour in which we are all free to participate in the event. A minute before the hour I will post 3 items and a setting, and the contestants will need to draw a picture with every element in under one hour, and post it. At that point Myself and three other judges will critique the drawings and eliminate one cartoonist, whittling the group down until only the victor remains. The prize shall be art from every participant, and if you wish, you may put the judges through the same trial you went through by selecting elements and establishing the one hour time limit, just keep it rated PG13.
1. Art must be done only in black and white. This is a traditional skill challenge, so play with black as a color. This is also the fastest way to produce a finished project. You may use a computer to fill in large areas of black.
2. Art will be judged on creativity, technique, and readability among other things. Judges will present their critiques publically, but discuss elimination through PMs until a unanimous verdict is reached, at which point I will post the decision to the thread.
3. Judgments should be unanimous, but if a verdict is not reached within four days I will implement a tie breaker (and remove myself from the equation).
4. Judges are not permitted to draw on a contestant's image when presenting their critique. It is disrespectful. Describe these details in writing. Judges must at all times show the contestants respect.
5. Contestants may explain certain flaws, but only sparingly. Show respect to the judges and to not fight with them, ability to recieve constructive criticism will be a factor in judgment.
6. Rounds will occur once a week.
7. Results must be posted within four days of a round.
8. The time limit is strict (that's the whole point), so if a image isn't posted within the hour it will not be counted.
*. This is just a challenge of a specific skill set, so if you lose it doesn't mean you're the worst artist in the bunch, it just means it wasn't your day.
Sound interesting? Do I have any volunteers?
Last edited by SergeXIII
on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.