Doodles 12: Just like clockwork.

For discussions, announcements, non-technical questions and anything else comics-related or otherwise that doesn't fit in any of the other categories.

Re: Doodles 12: Just like clockwork.

Postby Ti-Phil on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm Lucky, every year around christmas the Lucky Lukes animated movies plays, so I get my dose every year. Same with the Astérix (and yesterday I saw Astérix and the vikings for the first time and it inspired me to increase my skill in animation!).
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby McDuffies on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:33 am

Where's Iznogoud?
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Ti-Phil on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:46 pm

I admit I didn't listen to Iznogoud when I was a kid. But I admit, I could have added Gaston Lagaffe also.
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby McDuffies on Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:27 am

Ah, he's just one joke over and over anyway.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:52 am

Just some pics I've done lately...

I need to redraw this one, made her legs too thin, but I like how the rest turned out.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 pm

The little cheek-puff line is cute but I'm not sure it belongs in all three pictures. In the first two it's okay since that's the same person, but it's a unique feature kind of like if a bunch of people had the same birthmark in the same place, you know? It's a shorthand for a specific feature and might look weird or misused if it starts showing up on everybody.
Don't kid yourself, friend. I still know how.
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm

See, that's why I like this place, I can get useful feedback (and for once it's not about boobs, yay!).
Makes this kind of experimentation worthwhile.

You've got a good point Cuddly, it's something I should probably keep to rounder faced characters like Harli (and obviously only to expressions that warrant it, ie big smiles) and at the very least tone down the size/severity/direction/curve of smile/cheek lines on other characters.
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
"Your service is to the story and to the characters. Fuck the audience and fuck your own whims." - Yeahduff
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:09 pm

:)
"I'd much rather dream about my co-written Meth Beatdown script tonight." -JSConner800000000
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Since you like punishment, there's also the thing that you didn't paint blush on the cheeks but higher, under the eyes.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:47 pm

McDuffies wrote:Since you like punishment, there's also the thing that you didn't paint blush on the cheeks but higher, under the eyes.

Working on it, McD.

Honestly this is something I'm trying to get right but blending markers feels like a crapshoot sometimes.

In general, at least, I have (I hope) come a long way from where I was a year ago.

Any other notes while you're feeling helpful?
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 am

Try to avoid mannerism. Like, getting into habits of how to draw particular things. Like, try to draw as many different face and body shapes, and also different body contortions. Body is endlessly versatile, and you won't find a muscle sticking in the same way on two different bodies, or maybe even on the same body in two different occasions. Knowledge of anatomy should work less as a set of strict rules and more as an underlying ground that allows you freedom. And I can't think of another way to achieve that, other than practicing like crazy.
If all this seems a bit confusing when I talk about it, consider this: all three images have one thing that is very strikingly similar: all three have very characteristic, thin ankles. They all seem almost like copied from one image, though they're all probably a result of you adhering strictly to certain anatomy rules, and perhaps to some decisions about your drawing style. Would three different persons, in three different positions have the same looking ankles? Well odds are they may, but for the sake of variety of your drawing, they shouldn't. You got to stop yourself from being pressured into drawing every bump exactly the same way you taught yourself and just learn the general shape of the ankle, which you should be able to vary and contort in multiple different positions. I think that learning anatomy is less important than being relaxed and confident in your own drawing, drawing has to look effortless. It's just that knowing anatomy is what makes most of people more confident and relaxed, which is why we always stress learning anatomy as important, so it's important in the indirect way.
There are a few more areas where I see you verging on mannerism, like the tummies of all three look very similar.
Actually, is there a reason why ankles, arms and waists are so thin? They don't look right to me.
Finally, I expect you are also drawing males, and also other kind of subjects, like animals, buildings, landscapes, etc. :wink:
Progress is there, though, no doubt.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:52 am

McDuffies wrote:Actually, is there a reason why ankles, arms and waists are so thin? They don't look right to me.

Short answer because I'm not that good (which isn't me just putting myself down).
These are things I'm trying to work on. I do have some bad habits I need to break.
With the waists they always seem fine while I'm working on the pic but then when I look at it afterwards, too thin. Same goes for the arms really.
Ankles on the other hand also come down to the fact I don't often draw below mid-calf so I'm pretty shocking at the feet/ankle area.

McDuffies wrote:Finally, I expect you are also drawing males, and also other kind of subjects, like animals, buildings, landscapes, etc. :wink:

Of course.

McDuffies wrote:Progress is there, though, no doubt.

:D
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:47 am

RobboAKAscooby wrote:With the waists they always seem fine while I'm working on the pic but then when I look at it afterwards, too thin. Same goes for the arms really.

This happens to most of artists - you are kind of used to what you've been looking at for a while, so you don't see an error. There are several ways to deal with this:
Don't ink it right after you've penciled it. Allow yourself a chance to fix it after you've had a second look at it. Leave your half-finished drawing to lay for a while. For instance, leave pencils overnight, look at them tomorrow, and you'll see mistakes that you've missed, so you can try to fix them before inking.
If you're in a hurry, you can try something else: To look at your drawing in the mirror, or from the back, with the light source behind it, so you can see the reversed drawing through the paper. Sometimes, seeing a reversed drawing helps you notice things that you haven't noticed at first.
But ideally, don't rush to ink things right after you've penciled, leave things some time to settle down.
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Doboy1 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:32 pm

ImageImage Ah nostalgia so many years since I last posted here.Even the bad times seem like good times now.ImageImage
I really love comics!
Doboy1
In the Brig (Banned)
In the Brig (Banned)

Postby IVstudios on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:12 am

Hey! Bob#s is ba- and he's gone. Well that was quick.
IVstudios
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:40 am

This is so great, I was just buying groceries and I realized that I had no pouches to put them in!
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby Sortelli on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 am

oh god the worst part is that I mistook this terrible artist for a different terrible artist
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby VeryCuddlyCornpone on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:37 am

What a pleasant surprise!!
VeryCuddlyCornpone
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sortelli on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:06 am

NO WAIT this was the guy I was originally thinking of.

Thank GOD there's still only one of him.
Sortelli
Cartoon Villain

Postby RobboAKAscooby on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:14 am

It's like looking at an early 90s Marvel comic while being both drunk and concussed...
ImageDeviantart~tumblr
RobboAKAscooby
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion